belly overhang | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

belly overhang belly overhang

Unread 10-15-2006, 08:57 AM
belly overhang

Hello, Am new to this so here goes. Do not want to sound personal but have a burning question. I am overweight and have a belly overhang. I am supposed to have a TAH which is not yet scheduled as I go for my pre-op on 10-18. My dr told me she was going to leave ovaries in if at all possible. I have fibroids and one protruding one in uterus. My question is the concern for keeping my incision dry no moisture due to overhang so I do not develop an infection. Has anyone any advice for me? Thanks As soon as I find out the date of surgery will post it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2006, 09:13 AM
belly overhang

I've read here that after you shower, you can lay down and use the blow dryer on low/cool.
Some women have stuck mini-pads to their panties to absorb moisture throughout the day.
Check with your dr. and nursing staff at the hospital too.
Unread 10-15-2006, 01:59 PM
belly overhang

I have a small spare tire and what I have done is pat the area dry after my shower and then cut a piece of 4 inch wide gauze (Kendall brand) the length of my tummy and tuck it under the tire. I also change the gauze strip before I go to bed. It will help with the sweating, rash and odor. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2006, 07:22 PM
belly overhang

What I did was after showering, put a piece of 4x4 gauze to absorb any moisture. Then I'd use a hair dryer for a little bit (not hot) and then afterward lay flat as long as possible to make sure I was dry. I think it is just impossible to keep it completely dry.
My dr said I could use powder, but I didn't really want to get a bunch of caked powder so close to my incision.
Also before bedtime, i would wash the area and use a little peroxide on a cottonball to decrease any odor.
Unread 10-16-2006, 07:06 AM
belly overhang

I was going to ask the exact same question on Friday and didn't quite know how to work it!!!

I have the same problem and I wondered what to do. I have a scar that is 22 inches (9 straigt down from the sternum and 8 to the right hip and 5 to the left. I had a liver resection July 2005. That was horrible keeping my clothes from rubbing. I have to wear low wasted pants still because it is so sensitive. Now with the TAH and BSO and Bladder repair coming up.......I guess it will be MOO MOO's for me once again.

I just hope this incision will heal better and faster than the other one. He is going to try vaginal but almost is certain that my fibroid and uterus is not going to allow it to happen.

My liver tumor was focal nodular hyperplasisa and is bengin. I have four small ones now. Three are new and one they had to leave at surgery time. The incision was so big b/c the one they did take out was the size of a football.

I will need HRT b/c I am only 33 but what scares me is that birth control and pregnacy hormones have been associated with these tumors but they aren't sure about HRT. Isn't that about the same thing? My GYN won't give me an opinnion on that matter and my liver surgeon is stumped. He just said that he is going to have to think about that! It has been 3 weeks and still no answer from him. I am calling his office again today. I have problems with cyst on my ovaries and that is why we want to take them out too. But I don't really want to not be able to take HRT.

Sorry I strayed!

Thanks,
FNH
Unread 10-16-2006, 08:30 AM
belly overhang

Hello ladies,

One thing I found helpful is to wear underwear with some stomach support. Not too much that it is cutting of your circulation but enough that it might support that belly overhang keeping it off your incision. I hated wearing big cotton only pant, no support it just felt uncomfortable. When I had on the one with about 5% elastane, everything felt in the right place and I had less backache.

Hope this helps.

Susanna
Unread 10-16-2006, 08:32 AM
Have a nurse in the family

My mom is a nurse so when she gets home this evening I would be glad to ask her any questions you have?
She's worked in the ICU, ER, did home health care. She knows all kinds of tricks.
Unread 10-16-2006, 08:35 AM
belly overhang

Hello ladies,

One thing I found helpful is to wear underwear with some stomach support. Not too much that it is cutting of your circulation but enough that it might support that belly overhang keeping it off your incision. I hated wearing big cotton only pant, no support it just felt uncomfortable. When I had on the one with about 5% elastane, everything felt in the right place and I had less backache.

Hope this helps.

Susanna
Unread 10-16-2006, 09:37 AM
belly overhang

aysja,
Hi fellow Ohio sister!
I had to deal with the big belly vs TAH too. I did use some of my no-longer-needed overnight pads tucked under the belly. They worked fine. I was just very careful to dry the area after showering--useing a "pat-pat-pat" motion with the towl.
I think that, like me, you will be so aware of those areas you will always be checking and careing for them.

Just a note...I am so happy that all the misery due to the fibroids is behind me. Although the recovery period seems to go on forever, and there were a few bumps in the road--you will be amazed how your life will be changed!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register