Am I naive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Am I naive?

Hello,

This is my first post. What a GREAT website! I have been reading non-stop since I joined, it's wonderful to hear all the helpful advice and hints. As others have recently expressed, I too am very nervous and anxious. I can't help but constantly think that something is going to go wrong. This will be the first surgery ever and hospital stay (except for the delivery of my children). That is my first concern and the second one is that I teach dance. I was hoping surgery would wait until my yearly Dance Revue was finished in May. However, my body has disagreed and my constant bleeding and now severe anemia has moved my surgery to Dec. 12th. My doctor said I should plan on 6-8 weeks of recovery. I have cancelled classes for 9 weeks after surgery. That should give me enough time mid-February to May to get my Dance Revue together. My concern is from reading all of the posts on the hyster-sister site--am I totally being unrealistic and naive to think that I will be back to the dance floor leaping, turning, and spinning 9 weeks post-op? You have all scared me ............ Trying to cope for 9 more days!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Am I naive?

I dont think that its an unrealistic goal at all. With that said, we dont all heal at the same time; and also while we cant really prepare we need to keep in the back of our minds the possibility of complications which could very easily set back the recovery period. I'd also say to think about what type of procedure you're going to have, however thats not a real solid guideline to go by since there are women who've had the less invasive techniques who've taken longer to recover than the ladies dealing with the more invasive procedure(s).

All you can really do is know that youre going into the surgery in the best of health, pray for the best yet be prepared for the worse.

take care, dear
diana
Unread 12-03-2006, 09:04 PM
Am I naive?

I think a lot of it depends on what kind of surgery you are having done and how much has to be done. If you are having a laparoscopic or vaginal hysterectomy you might be okay. You may still be moving slow though. A lot of it also depends on how well you recovery goes. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Am I naive?

Do you have a senior student that could help you for a couple weeks after you get home? What type of hyst are you having?
I know about having to arrange for students - I teach piano and we have a recital Jan. 26th. No one can "look after" my students but me. So, I'm off for 2 weeks, teach for 2 weeks, then off again for 2 weeks for Christmas. I start a regular schedule Jan 8th again.
I realize it's not the same physically but I get the commitment to your students
Unread 12-04-2006, 11:11 PM
Am I naive?

I have had senior students assist me at times, but some of my parents complain due to their lack of experience and they are spoiled having me all of the time. I would rather cancel than have to deal with that again. I'm scheduled for a TAH with a possibility of a BSO. I wish it was laproscopic but my uterus and fibroids are too big. Thanks for the reassurance. I hope it's to my advantage being a dancer since the age of 3 (now 46) that I can be extremely 'in tune' with my body and make my recovery easier and quicker. I'm mentally trying to prepare myself to BELIEVE this! BTW how do you include your types of surgery/problems at the bottom of your posts?
Unread 12-05-2006, 06:18 AM
Am I naive?

I also taught dance for 11 years. So, I get it!!! (Have been off for 2 yrs to be home with my kids) Cancelling classes for 9 weeks was a great idea! When you go back you should feel pretty good, especially since you are probably in pretty good shape to begin with. You'd be amazed what a difference that makes. I wouldn't necessarily plan on leaping, twisting, etc. right off the bat, especially with a TAH. But, you can work your way into it. If your kids are more advanced you can take it a little more easy and do more telling than showing, or showing a little rather than full-out. And if they are not as advanced and you need to have some help from a senior student, do so. The parents will understand that you just had surgery and will accomodate. And if they don't, you probably don't want those people at your company anyways. Bad vibes in the studio are not what you want. Trust me, we learned that the hard way at our place. Trying to accomodate everyone doesn't work. So, hope this helps. You will need to take it easy going back (especially in the beginning) and people are really going to need to respect that. It's your body. And you need to take care of yourself. Good luck to you!
Unread 12-05-2006, 06:40 AM
Am I naive?

Hi,
I love to dance too I'm not an instructor - I'm a student
When I had my hyst, I went back to class after 7 weeks. We were just doing clogging at that time and since it's very aerobic and bouncy, I had to pace myself ( especially as I'm in my 50's ) for the first few weeks. I sat out from time to time for a few weeks. But at 10 weeks, I did a performance and managed 9 of the 10 dances. I was pretty sore for the next few days but didn't regret doing it

I think that you could probably go back at 9 weeks or so but might want to make the final call on it then. Also, just remember to go slow and easy at first, slow down and rest if it hurts. Having older students do the more streneous moves at first might help too.

To add your surgery type etc, go to your control panel ( a little to the left of the center near the top of the page ). Click on it and it will open a menu. Choose edit signature, add what you want to and click on "save signature".

Best wishes.

S

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register