bladder sling and TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bladder sling and TAH bladder sling and TAH

Unread 12-21-2007, 09:57 PM
bladder sling and TAH

I had a bladder sling along with my total Hysterectomy. I have not noticed anyone else talking about this.

The first day post op I had a catheter. The second morning they removed it. I was begging to have it back. A full bladder following surgery is bad enough but when things are all swollen and spasming it can be excruciating. I wont mention the amount of pain as to not not scare anyone from having this done.

I am 5 days post op and things are flowing much better. They key is to totally relax. It is important to sit for a while and empty the bladder as much as possible. As for pain at this point just a full bladder is uncomfortable.

Ladies if you pee when you sneeze or cough this is a great option. I do not regret doing this at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 03:15 AM
bladder sling and TAH

I had a sling and other repairs as well as hyster too. Those first days are a challenge arent they. But things get better really fast. I sreally recommend that you get regular pain control expecially before you have to get up and walk or go to the bathroom..by the way did you have packing removed, thats fun too.
Unread 12-22-2007, 05:28 AM
bladder sling and TAH

I did not have any packing. The only issue I am having is to wait out the spasms. I take my time in the bathroom and just stay till my bladder empties out as much as possible. I will know at my follow up if I am emptying completely or not. I hope I am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-23-2007, 08:38 AM
bladder sling and TAH

Hi lady4carousels
I had a bladder sling along with another repair and can relate to what you have shared. Another tip I have is to use a donut pillow for sitting and not to sit for too long at one time. I found it aggravated the healing and my discomfort. I had to use my pain meds for a while to stay comfortable too. I didn't use them around the clock, but if I wanted to be up and at all active, I needed them.

I hope you continue to heal well and find you're completely emptying your bladder. At my two week exam they found that I wasn't completely emptying and I had to self cath for about two weeks. At first I was so upset at the thought of it, but it ended up not being a big deal at all. I had blown it up in my mind. I hope you do fine. Keep us posted on your progress.
's, Rita
Unread 12-26-2007, 10:41 PM
bladder sling and TAH

I had a bladder sling a few years ago and getting up after that surgery was much worse than after my hyst. yes, I too am glad to have had that surgery. Actually, for me, the pre-op testing was harder than the surgery.

I hear that the packing is removed while under anesthesia now and that this is an out patient surgery. At the time, i was happy to stay overnight since the cath and packing were left in overnight.
Unread 12-26-2007, 11:07 PM
bladder sling and TAH

Wanted to ask about the bladder sling. Did you have trouble before the hyster? I am only having difficulties after. 4 months post op I was hospitalized for pain and complications and it was so bad everytime I vomited I lost complete badder control. And now laughing, caughing, sneezing all result in disaster. Kegel's don't seem to be helping, and not ready for yet another procedure but will I I have to. Is this something that can be done on its own? I am now 6 months post op and don't want to be 35 and wearing diapers...
Unread 12-27-2007, 08:38 AM
bladder sling and TAH

Kathleen, Hi, No, I didn't have any problems with my sling before my hyst. At the time (the procedure is done differently now), I was in the hospital overnight, off work for 2 weeks, "pelvic rest" for 6 weeks.

I was having leakage like you are talking about. Since surgery, this is almost a nonissue. Since hyster, my body and my bladder don't always seem to work in sync. My doc said it's normal for the bladder to have a period of adjustment. The bladder is in the way for the hyst and is moved around, apparently.

It seems like I've read that the sling surgery may have to be done again in 5 years or so, but my doc didn't mention this. My doc for this surgery was a urologist. I've read about a specialty, uro-gynecology.

I asked my gyn if she thought my sling was OK at my 6week check. She said that it "looked" fine. I didn't realize that she could see so much "in there." She said that yes, she could.

I just couldn't tolerate the "dry up" medications.
Unread 12-27-2007, 11:00 AM
bladder sling and TAH

I had my sling done by a urologist at the same time my gyn did my Hysterectomy. Two doctors and only one time in the operating room. I had been having troubles for years with sneezing and leaking. I would definately have a check up by a urologist. This is something you would rather have done earlier in life then later. After a Hysterectomy the bladder is in a different position so this may now be an issue for you.
Unread 12-27-2007, 01:24 PM
bladder sling and TAH

Thanks for the information, it was VERY helpful. I have put a call in to my doctor. I really don't want another medication nor a surgery but I think the surgery sounds like a more long term fix.

Amazing the things they forget to tell you...
Unread 12-27-2007, 02:27 PM
bladder sling and TAH

I was supposed to have a bladder sling with a TVH, however, the assisting doc perforated my bladder (prior to doing the bladder sling), which meant they had to open me up abdominally to repair my bladder. I now have no bladder sling and two incisions (one vaginal & one abdominal). I'm hoping that the scar tissue from the bladder repair will "lift" my bladder so I won't need a later surgery for the bladder sling. Since I had to have my catheter in for 2 weeks post-op (due to bladder repair), I now have control issues & leak even when I don't sneeze, cough, etc. I'm hoping it's just a matter of time as I have to re-train my bladder after having the catheter in for so long. I have a follow-up appointment with the urologist on Jan. 3rd. I'm glad that your bladder sling was successful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register