Scheduled LSH Concerned about breathing tube | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about breathing tube Concerned about breathing tube

Unread 10-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Concerned about breathing tube

Hi,
I am having LSH/BSO on Oct. 30 and I am getting concerned about having a breathing tube. I have read about how some people ended up in ICU from complications and others are fine. What kind of things can happen with a breathing tube? I have never had major surgery before, this is my first. Please, Any advice would be be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Re: Concerned about breathing tube

I just needed to tell them that I have TMJ so they would not keep my mouth open as much with the tube. I didn't even have a sore throat this time (it is only my 2nd time with a tube) so it can be ok. I didn't have any problems.
Unread 10-19-2009, 04:20 PM

I did not experience any problems at all. When I awoke I never felt like there had been a tube in my throat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2009, 05:56 PM

Hi Kr73,

I also had a LSH and it is still one of the best things I ever did for my gyneo health. Hope you have similar results.

After my hyst, I too did not feel like I had anything down my throat during surgery. My LSH was my first surgery ever also...so I had some fears. Just know...that waiting for surgery can be the hardest part.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 10-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Prior to this year the last surgery I had was at age 6, and I was terrified about lots of things including the tube. My throat was a little scratchy but that's all. One thing I did before my last surgery last month was do to some guided imagery to calm me down. It really helped a lot. I found a web site that had a surgery specific guided imagery.
Unread 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM

I will honestly tell you that if I had a breathing tube, I do not remember it. From the posts here, I would have to guess that I had one. I never had any affects from it. I also had my cath removed in the recovery room and that was a piece of cake.
Unread 10-19-2009, 10:39 PM

I was just super thirsty i recovery.. You really, literally feel like they put the mask on you and you blink and you are in recovery.
Unread 10-20-2009, 05:55 AM

I think what you are referring to the post that the lady was overweight and that's why she ended up in ICU. She had other issues the contributed to her ending up in ICU. You will be fine.
Unread 10-20-2009, 07:40 AM

Hi all,
I have had 4 surgeries under general with the tube. No issues whatsoever.
Talk bluntly and openly with your anesthisologist about your concerns.
Also the book should help you deal with anxiety and fears over surgeries:
Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster by Huddleston
My gyn suggested it to me. I actually read it before an elbow surgery and have re-read it prior to my hysto. Very helpful info. I'm sure some of the others may have read it too.
Hang in there and think postive thoughts.
Unread 10-20-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr73 View Post
Hi,
I am having LSH/BSO on Oct. 30 and I am getting concerned about having a breathing tube. I have read about how some people ended up in ICU from complications and others are fine. What kind of things can happen with a breathing tube? I have never had major surgery before, this is my first. Please, Any advice would be be appreciated!
I've had surgery several times where a breathing tube was used. I've never had any trouble with it at all. The only affect that I've had from it was my throat feeling sore & voice being scratchy after it was removed, but that only lasted a few hours & was totally resolved.

I hope this helps to give you some peace about it.
Stacie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register