Surgery where I work as a nurse, nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery where I work as a nurse, nervous Surgery where I work as a nurse, nervous

Unread 10-08-2003, 04:51 PM
Surgery where I work as a nurse, nervous

Hi everyone,
I am very nervous about upcoming surgery date (10/31/03). The reason is that I will be post-op on a floor where I worked and will know most of the nurses. I have no doubt that they will take great care of me, but am worried about "being myself"...if I am cranky, in too much pain, or just want to be left alone I am afraid to hurt anyone's feelings. I would have chosen another hospital, but my Doc does not do surgery at the other place. This floor is also the oncology floor because my Dr is an oncologist gyn. He feels pretty confident that this is benign process, so I am not too worried about that. I guess I am just freaking out a little... a nurse with tooooo much information and horror stories, yike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2003, 05:12 PM

Perhaps you can talk to them ahead of time. I'm sure that they have had other hospital members in their recovery room and know that with the pain, anasteasia(sp), and other fun things that what you say or do is just normal for someone coming out of surgury and will not hold it against you.

But talk to them about your concerns, I'll bet you dollars to donuts that they will set your mind at ease!
Unread 10-08-2003, 05:20 PM

Awwww Kelly.....come on honey

first of all, would you treat any of your co-workers having surgery any differently? Nope of course not

Would you hold anything a co-worker said under medication against them but not against a lay person patient;

Nope of course not

This is what I predict:

Your co workers are going to rally around, and be more protective of you than they might be of a "normal" patient. In every way.

Yeah, I have seen in myself how a little knowledge can`make you stark raving crazy, and I too have to take a deep breath and talk myself through the whole thing using logic and previous medical knowledge.

So make like a good lady in waiting, follow the rules, you know what they are, and you will have a wonderful stay.

The staff want more than anything to make sure you are safe and healthy. You know that.

Dilu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2003, 05:49 PM

Thanks for your words, it really helps to talk with others that are facing the same thing. I know the post-op stay will be uneventful and my co-workers will be caring and compassionate. I always seem to worry that I am a burden to others and now I need to focus on my health and recovery. Best wishes to all.
Unread 10-08-2003, 05:54 PM

Hi Kelly.

I am in the exact situation you are! I worked in post-partum and Gyn (same department, but different sections of the floor), at the same hospital I'm having my surgery at. I left that job about two years ago, but of course, am still acquainted with quite a few of the nurses. I know they'll take good care of me because they are good nurses. I don't picture myself as a "demanding" patient, but if I need something, I will definitely not be afraid to ask...I recommend you do the same.

My only "concern" (stupid as it may seem) is people I know seeing "everything". Oh well, we're all girls

Jay-Jay
Unread 10-08-2003, 05:55 PM

I had surgey in the hospital where I had worked as a nurse until recently. Everyone was wonderful! There was not a single moment that I felt foolish, unsupported, or self conscious...not even when the male nurse (who I didn't know) had to put the foley back in. Everyone was very understanding of my questions and went out of their way to tell me things. I felt they were taking special care of me. It was like being with family.

It worked out very well! Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 10-08-2003, 07:07 PM

Kelly, I, too, had my surgery on the same floor as I worked many years ago but still knew alot of the nurses. It was great! They were extra kind and really let me dictate my own care for the most part. I feel it is an advantage and was very happy with the whole thing. I think you will find it beneficial and comforting as well. Good luck with your surgery. All OB/GYN nurses rock!!!!!!!

Emily
Unread 10-09-2003, 08:26 PM

Hi Kelly
I am also having surgery in the hospital I have worked in for 18 years. I have not been on the clinical side of nursing for a few years, so I don't know the nurses that will be taking care of me. I just don't want those people I do work with visiting me - don't like the idea of them seeing me not completely in control. I am confident I will get good care - just don't like not being in complete control!
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:01 PM

Perhaps your experience will be pleasant. Some sistersters feel better after their hsyt. It was scary for me too, and as it happened it had a horrible experience. Your friends seeing you on the other side (as a Patient) may have a deeper understanding what other patients feel and go through. It may help them be better nurses too. Hope our experience goes well and try hard to relax.
Unread 10-09-2003, 09:19 PM

KELLEY
Your co-workers will understand, I'm sure you will get plenty of great care! and on the other side...it's a great opportunity to know first hand what patients go through. Being a Caregiver it was the best learning experience I could ever have!

Best of luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register