Something to stop the bleeding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Something to stop the bleeding Something to stop the bleeding

Unread 05-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Something to stop the bleeding

Has anyone been put on any medication to stop the bleeding they are having before their Hyst.? I have been on one for a couple of months with some break through bleeding but for the most part I have finally had relief from the constant period I have been experiencing. The only problem is I feel like I am constantly pre-menstral(sp) constantly feeling bloated and feel like I want to snack on a little bit of everything all the time. Is this normal? Or am I the only one experiencing this. I tried to call my DR but she has been on vacation from the 1st of May until the 26th of May. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2009, 01:17 PM
Re: Something to stop the bleeding

Can you maybe go to urgent care and maybe get a shot to stop your bleeding? My Mom sometimes bleeds and bleeds for weeks at a time and her DR ends up giving her some sort of shot. I think it is a hormone shot?? I am not real sure tho. She is napping right now or I would call and double check with her.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!!!!!!
Unread 05-20-2009, 02:42 PM

I called my Mom and she said she took some kind of hormone pill. And IF that didn't work she would give her a shot. I knew there was a shot mentioned!!

Hope this helps a little bit!!!
Best of luck to you!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2009, 08:25 PM

My GYN tried Provera before I finally had my hyster. It didn't work. Slowed the bleeding a bit, but didn't stop it. I lay in the hospital for 4 days and received 10 transfusions, as well. Finally he told me he had to do the hyster before I bled to death. Not something one wants to hear from their doctor.
Unread 05-20-2009, 08:56 PM

I was given birth control pills to stop the bleeding and took them for a month up to my surgery. There were a couple of times I had to take a second dose, but overall it did the trick.

I did get bloated, gained weight, felt generally yucky on those pills. Now that I've been off them, I'm starting to feel better, the bloat is gone and the weight is starting to come off. So hang in there- it's still better than bleeding to death!
Unread 05-20-2009, 11:10 PM

They put me on cyklokapron, to take during my period (which should start in 2 days). They made me take them when i was hospitalized for severe anemia, and they didnt help, but i was passing more clots than anything then. The cyklokapron also make me feel quite nauseous so i cant wait to be off them, and period free too!! So anyways, with the nausea, i doubt ill gain any weight from these lol

About your side effects, did you think about calling your pharmacist? Im sure they could help.
Unread 05-21-2009, 03:13 AM

I've been on Cyklokapron during my periods for 7 years and I do think it helps. But sometimes the blood takes over and I have a big bleed and clotting episode... but nothing like I have without it! Without it I probably would bleed to death. And I don't feel any side effects at all. The trick is as well, to take it at the same time as an NSAID. If I don't do that, its not really effective.

I know when I lived in the MIddle East and looked for it in the pharmacies, most only had it in an injectible form. So maybe that's what they inject in the hospital?

I really think Cyklokapron saved my life!
Unread 05-21-2009, 06:00 AM

How are you today? Just wanted to check on you and see how you were! Please let us know how you are doing!!

BIG s
Unread 05-21-2009, 11:42 AM

My surgery is scheduled for 6/09 and in April I asked my doctor to give me something to stop my periods until the surgery. I just wanted pain/period free time to prepare. They prescribed Provera for me. I started taking it in May, about a week or so before my period was supposed to start (one per day, each evening). It didn't stop my period! The bleeding was a little less (but still very heavy the first few days and lasted 10 days. Fortunately I didn't have as much period and instestinal pain as I normally would, but I was still very frustrated.

Called the doctor and they suggested upping to dose to two per day. I started that this past Saturday (one in the morning and one in the evening). I am still having light breakthrough bleeding everyday. My boobs are also now bloated and very tender. Am also starting to get headaches. Period is not due until the 1st, and hoping it will be a non-event this time.

As far as the weight gain, I knew going in that taking Provera long-term can lead to it. I can see why. Sometimes my cravings are incredible! I just want to eat everything in sight. But I just make sure to pack healthy snacks with me wherever I go so I don't reach for the high fat/calorie traps. I am happy that I don't have much longer to be on this drug because I could see how it could lead to rapid weight gain and other unwanted issues.

Good luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register