flu shot before surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

flu shot before surgery? flu shot before surgery?

Unread 09-20-2001, 01:02 PM
flu shot before surgery?

I called today to ask if the flu shot was available yet and was told not yet. I've had the flu every fall for the past 3 years. One year I was told they were only giving it out to elderly at high risk or people with asthma till more was available for everyone. Now I read some have had the flu after having hysterectomy. With hospital exposure and possibly getting germs through the air vents and other patients, I really want to be protected against the flu. I don't want to have surgery cancelled because I got the flu. By the way I am still getting over a cold I caught from my kids bringing home from school and that was 3 weeks ago. Surgery is in 4 1/2 weeks. My daughter said one kid spit on her and I know that same kid gave her his cold as she said he was sick. YIKES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-20-2001, 03:00 PM
flu shot before surgery?

Last year, the flu shots were very scarce in this area, (I think everywhere actually) and I got mine quite late in the year. I had a D&C in Dec on 2000, and my hyst in early March of 2001. I just can remember when I got the flu shot. I would definitely check with the Doctors office and see what they think. I wasn't asked if I had any shots for the flu in my pre-ops. Since you're only 4 1/2 weeks I'd check. It would be bad to get the flu, yes, but worse to get cancelled because you got the shot to near the surgery. Hope all goes well.
Unread 09-20-2001, 05:49 PM
flu shot before surgery?

Please consult your doctor first before getting a flu shot prior to surgery. Your doctor needs to know YOUR EVERY MOVE. Doctor may not want you to have a flu shot right before surgery.

Always ask your doctor first!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2001, 05:18 PM
Flu shots are scarce again this year

Hi CM3
I am the flu clinic coordinator for the county health department that I work at. Flu shots are indeed delayed and in short supply this year. It is expected it won't be as bad as last year, but still not the usual supply.

The CDC and New York State Health Department has issued the following guidelines about when to be immunized. Over 65 and those at high risk(chronic heart, lung disease, diabetes, etc) should be first. second is those that care for the first groop. Third is everyone else that is normally healthy. We are telling companies that want clinics for their healthy employees that it won't be until January.

Also keep in mind it takes 4-6 weeks for the flu shot to take affect after you get it. So even if you could get it before surgery, it might not help you.

Hope all goes well with your surgery

Kim
Unread 09-22-2001, 06:21 AM
flu shot before surgery?

Thanks all for your replies and thanks especially to Kim. I have changed my mind about getting the shot afterall from reading the posts. I will just have to be extra careful and cleaner than normal to avoid germs my kids bring home everyday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register