Freaked out about upcoming TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Freaked out about upcoming TAH Freaked out about upcoming TAH

Unread 02-19-2009, 03:42 PM
Freaked out about upcoming TAH

I just found out today (Thursday) that my TAH has been scheduled for Tuesday. Needless to say, I'm a nervous wreck. I feel like I too much to do in too little time! To make matters worse, dh and I are having major financial problems now & can't afford any of the suggested post-op things like gowns, robes, pillows, etc (only have 3 pillows in house) All my family lives far away and we haven't really had time to make alot of friends since we just moved here 3 months ago. I'm sure you can imagine how great it is that I found this web site!
I will be keeping my ovaries, but I'm still pretty nervous about hormonal changes since I had such severe PPD that I was hospitalized. I also forgot to ask my doctor if my anesthesia will be general or spinal during surgery, and now she is out of town until Monday. What is the "norm" for TAH? Will
Also, I'm curious as to why so many posts say not to eat "red" foods?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Hi,
Try to set back and relax, things will work out. Did you know you were going to have a hysterectomy before today? Many of the things stated as needs are really just wants, they make things more comfortable. If you can't buy new things look around the house for items. Instead of extra pillows rolled up blankets, towels etc will do. If you can't afford new robes and gowns do you have any over sized T-shirts. I have read posts that say women have worn their husbands underwear because it was more comfortable.
Spend you time this weekend fixing up where you will be spending your time after coming home from the hospital. Prepare some meals and stock up on easy to fix foods. You'll most likely want light meals the first week. I had toast, yogurt, chicken noodle soups and apple sauce. I would spend the money on gas X. Hang in there, many women have emergency surgeries and manage without supplies. Sometime we need to focus on just the basics, our health. The rest will come.
Hope some of this is helpful for you
Unread 02-19-2009, 05:09 PM

hopefulhatred.

I had an emergency hyster and had no time to prepare anything. I went to my GYN's office and he said, oh you are going right to the hospital. I took a wheelchair ride across the parking garage and right into ICU. A few days later, I had the hyster.

I bought nothing before, and I came home and wore all of my "old" stuff and fared just fine. My DH bought groceries - lots of heat-and-eat foods and some eat-from-the-package snacks. We also ordered in several times. I ate red meat often and had no side effects or problems. I don't know why some ladies warn against red meat?????

The pillows? I think some women use them to prop themselves so they have support around the tender places, especially when sleeping. I rolled up a towel and tucked it under my side so I wouldn't roll onto my tummy for the first few days. (I'm a tummy sleeper.) I have heard of others who used stuffed animals to achieve the same purpose.

You will probably receive a general anesthesia for surgery and post op pain meds. I had a morphine pump for the first day after surgery, but required nothing stronger than a Tylenol after that. Since you will have an abdominal incision, you will probably have pain meds for a bit longer.

I know how the unexpected can throw a kink in your life. Don't stress too much. Just try to "go with the flow" and you will find how resilient you can be. Best wishes on your surgery and recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Hopeful,

Hope gave you great ideas........ I know that I will be having one before too long, but I'm still in test mode... one of them will be on Tuesday also. I'm having a cold knife cone biopsy and D&C. I will put a prayer in my heart for you too before I go under.

I've been making extra for the last few weeks and putting stuff in the freezer for when I'm not feeling like getting up. I made a big batch of chicken noodle soup, a pot of spagetti sauce, and stuff like that, and put the extras into the freezer. That way, I know I'll eat good and my hubby won't have to stress over fixing us stuff.

Many of us are having financial issues right now. I didn't buy any special nightgowns or anything, but I did make sure that I have plenty to read because I like to read. Maybe you should make a trip to the library this weekend too! We already have some videos at home...... and I figure I can watch home design television....

My sis-in-law just had her TAH on 12/3 and she was out listening to music before new year! Not dancing yet, but listening and enjoying.

Do what Hope suggested and fix up your home recovery room so you can watch television, or read or whatever you do when you are still.

I will hold you in my thoughts.
Unread 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM

These ladies have given you good info. A pillow from my couch has been my constant friend when I lay down, just because my belly button area has been very tender and sensitive.

In the hospital I wore their gown 'cause I was hooked to the IV and had a catheter. Once the catheter was removed, I didn't like the "commando" feeling, so I put on my own underwear and some pj bottoms.

I wore pj's when I first got home, but when I started to venture out, I put on sweats (with drawstrings) and have been wearing those since.

Prepare what you need to this weekend -- that will keep you busy and focused. It is important to RELAX and know that all will be fine. If you believe in a higher power, perhaps that will give you some comfort as well.

Take care -- you will be in my thoughts. Hugs for you!
Unread 02-19-2009, 06:59 PM

Thank you all for the great advice. BTW, I did know that I was going to be having a hysterectomy in the next month or two but apparently one of my 6-7 fibroids is necrotic(?) and another is growing so fast it is almost pressing through my cervix. Also my anemia has worsened since I have been bleeding pretty much non-stop for about 6 months, so the Dr called me in today to tell me we need to do this now rather than later. Luckily my dh has some vacation time and we just found out that my mom will be flying in when he has to go back to work (he only gets a week) to help with the kids. I keep telling myself that everything will work out & once I recover I'll feel so much better, but I'm still terrified. I've even had 4 knee surgeries, no comparison I know, and a c-section but it freaks me out that my uterus will be gone...forever. My dh tells me that maybe it's a type of grieving process I'm going through. I know it's irrational, but I just can't help but feel like I'm losing my womanhood when I'm only 28!! I'm sure it sounds crazy to everyone, but I still feel it. Thank you all again for the support!
Unread 02-19-2009, 07:36 PM

I know for me, even though my research lead me to think I needed a hysterectomy I didn't want one. When my doctor said one would be in my future I had a hard time with the information. I acted like it was some kind of a surprise. It was like my brain and emotions were separate from my body. Given some time I accepted needing a hysterectomy for my overall health and well being. I think your dh is right about the grieving process.
I glad to hear your husband has the week off and your mom can come to help. Even though you may not know people in your community well, let your children's friends parents know what's going on. You may be pleasantly surprised by some offers of help. If your mom asks if you need her to bring anything, tell her a pair of loose pants.
Your so young to be going through this but it sounds like you have the inner strength to get through it. Remember you need to take care of yourself for the next few weeks so you can take care of your family later.
You not crazy, so don't think that way. Think of yourself as going in for upgrades, you'll still be a woman that doesn't need to shop for pad, plan what you need to wear around your period, drag yourself through ?# days per month etc. . If you think about it, it really is a lot of improvements.
Unread 02-19-2009, 08:16 PM

Try to think of it this way: you don't have a ton of time to worry and drive yourself nuts beforehand. My TAH is in two weeks, and it seems like an eternity. Go slow, and take care. In actuality, I think we all just figure it out as we go along. My best to you.
Unread 02-19-2009, 08:28 PM

Bravo to your DH for having that kind of insight. Since you will have help with your kids, you are probably more ready than many women are who have to prepare for this. You don't need any bells and whistles. Just a cleaning of the house and a grocery run for food, and you'll be ready. I haven't read much about the no red foods, but I'm guessing that it's because meat digests so slowly. The bowels really need help after surgery. Eat lots of fiber--snack bars, prunes, nuts, bean soup, etc., and have stool softeners and Gas-X and you will truly be ready. Please keep us posted!
Unread 02-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Tah

I was in much the same situation as you. I went into the dr. appt on a Thurs. and was told that I was having a hysterectomy on Tuesday. I had just been off work for 2 weeks because both of my kids (2 and 4) had to have their tonsils and adnoids taken out. So I will be out of work for a total of 8 weeks by the time its all said and done. I agree, it is scary thinking of all of the bills, etc. piling up. But, on the other hand, my life will be so much better!

I was diagnosed when I was 24 with ovarian cancer and had my right ovary removed. I hadn't had any kids yet and wanted to, so we decided against the hysterectomy then with hopes that I would have the time. At 26 I had baby #1 and then at 28 baby #2. After my 30th birthday, I went in for a regular check, and the dr was positive the cancer was in the remaining ovary, so he wanted to get in right away and get it out. I agreed to it; I was blessed to have gotten 2 kids out of the deal. When I went in for the surgery I was scared as heck! I thought that I would feel like less of a woman, ect. It's true that sometimes I get down, but then I think...if I hadn't gotten it done, what could've happened? Would I rather "lose" my womanly innards, or die trying to keep them? Everytime I find myself grieving the lose of my uterus and ovaries, I remind myself...I am alive, and I won't have to have a period anymore-thats great!

As a side note, when my dr got in there, he found that it actually wasn't cancer, just some sort of cyst. He left me open on the table and went to consult my husband as to what to do. Luckily, I had the conversation with my husband and told him that I just didn't want to live in fear of the cancer returning anymore. I told him that whatever they find, they need to take it all out so that I can live, and really live instead of living in the fear. I am grateful that I had that conversation with him!!!

Things will work out just fine. I didn't go out and buy all of the special hysterectomy stuff. I found that pillows, blankets, my husbands sweats and t-shirts...thats all I needed! I hope this helps you out...things are not as bad as they seem right now. I hope to hear from you as you recover!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register