Let me apologize. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Let me apologize. Let me apologize.

Unread 11-16-2010, 09:20 PM
Let me apologize.

I've tried to read up enough on these issues, but let's face it, some of the posts didn't match enough and there were quite a few to sort through!

Anyway, I am only 27. I had my total hysterectomy (ovaries are the only thing left) almost three months ago.

VERY recently, I've gotten hot flashes at night that are UNBEARABLE. No matter what I do, I can't calm them down. I've tried fans, ice water, wearing breathable clothing, etc. They hit around 8:30 - 9:00 at night and can last until 1 - 2 AM. They haven't hurt my sleep yet, thankfully.

I don't have insomnia per se', but it's hard to get tired before 2AM. I just figure that may be because I lost my job recently and I'm very stressed.

I've also been seeing things that aren't really there. In fact, last night, I woke up in the middle of the night and swore there was a small child sitting on the edge of my bed. I woke up with this sudden feeling I "wasn't alone", then saw her on my bed. I went back to sleep, woke up, and saw her again! Later, she was gone. Totally freaky.

I don't take anything for it since I was told I don't need to. My doctor and I agreed I would still take my prenatal + fish oil since it couldn't hurt. Do any of you have any ideas of what I could try to maybe relieve some of this?

I already take the prenatal + fish oil, B-Complex, and cranberry. I'm also on a high blood pressure medication. ANYTHING that could help would be way awesome.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Re: Let me apologize.

Have you had your hormone levels checked? Hot Flashes are a sign of low estrogen. Sometimes after a hysterectomy blood flow to the ovaries is compromised and menopause symptoms can result. You might also try an OTC menopause reliever that has Black Cohosh in it like Remifemin or Estroven.

As for the ghost you saw...My first instinct is to believe that you saw a spirit. But if that explanation is too x-files for you, here's another. There's a certain type of insomnia where a person sleeps, falls into REM and dreams that they are awake experiencing insomnia. I wish I had a link I could give you for this but I can't find it again. It's considered a type of insomnia because there's a similar lack of rest. But if you're dreaming you're awake, you could also be dreaming about a little girl. That little girl could symbolize a part of you that's trying to tell you something.

Certainly when we have a hysterectomy we pass from a younger period of our lives to an older, wiser period. perhaps this is your subconscious' way of giving you an opportunity to say goodbye to that part of your life. Have you come to terms with your hysterectomy and the end of your fertility?

If you see the little girl again talk to her. Ask her why she's there and what she wants to tell you. you might be suprirsed at the answer.
Unread 11-16-2010, 11:18 PM

Unfortunately, since I was laid off, I don't have health insurance. I may try your suggestion. I'll ask a pharmacist to be sure it won't interact with my blood pressure medication or that it won't have any weird side effects.

Thank you for your response. The REM theory makes total sense. I've come to term with it. My uterine lining was too thin to be able to have children to begin with.

I'm dealing with some unsettling drama involving my goddaughter and her step "mother" lately, so maybe that's why I was dreaming / seeing a little girl. I just hope all of this passes soon. These bizarre dreams are weirding me out, haha.

Next time I am near a pharmacy I will definitely check out your suggestion! I feel like I'm too young for all of this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2010, 09:25 AM

nay.elizabeth,

I was only a few years older when I had my lavh/bso. It's really a lot to take in.

The first thing that jumped out is that you are having hot flashes. It could be that your ovaries are still sleeping. Some women have taken things such as soy (which acts like estrogen) to help alleviate them. Personally, before I started my HRT, I took black cohosh. It seemed to take the edge off. But, of course it wouldnt hurt to call and run it by the nurse at the doctor's office.

Also you mentioned that you are taking prenatal vitamins. My doctor switched me to a senior multivitamin. He said that since I wasnt having a period I didnt need the excess iron that the prenatals and regular vitamins had in them. That's something to consider as well. Maybe run that by the nurse too.

Of course be careful with whatever you take since you have high BP. You certainly don't want to mess with that. Don't forget about the pharmacist too! He/she will many times answer all of your questions about pills for free

Unread 11-18-2010, 12:59 AM

I went and picked up a generic type of Estroven. Same drug, half the price, 3 more weeks of pills! I am going to stop my prenatal with fish oil and just do the generic Estroven. I know it will take a few weeks, but hopefully it works out.

I hope it's not early menopause. I just feel like I'm far too young. However, there are hot flashes, my back is in EXTREME pain (which could be from the surgery), I'm tired, depressed, can't sleep, my moods fluctuate, vaginal dryness like nobody's business.

At first I thought it was all PMS, but I never had the hot flashes and insomnia and all that jazz. Plus my boobs don't hurt. Who knows.

I just know that being a female is a complete rip-off. I got rid of one big problem and now endure multiple small ones.

Thanks again for the replies and support. It's nice to have a place, even if not in direct contact with others, where we all understand each other and know personally what everyone has gone through!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register