When did you resume light housework? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When did you resume light housework? When did you resume light housework?

Unread 07-02-2006, 05:58 AM
When did you resume light housework?

Looks like I've slowly started getting back into my role of wife and mother, and can no longer hide the fact that I am feeling pretty normal again. Yesterday my oldest and I walked to the mailbox and he said, 'mom you're walking normal again'....meaning I wasn't moving slow and was walking completly upright and not slightly hunched. Didn't even notice till he mentioned it. Then dh went down to the garage for bout an hr to work on his bike, and diapers needed changing so I changed em.

Then waking up this morn to a bunch of dishes that have been in the sink for 2days YUCK,I went ahead and started washing. I was waiting for dh to say, "no don't do that I'll get it", but no...no such luck. He was really good at shooing me out of the kitchen the 1st two days, but I guess now, he is burning out. Oh well.

DON'T WORRY! I'm not gonna push myself and do chores I shouldn't do...just wanted to know when others started picking up round the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2006, 06:38 AM

Hi Stillyoung...

I had the exact same issues/surgery as you did and I too have had a very positive post op experience (except for the gas but that's to be expected with abdominal surgery). I felt that I was going to go insane by the end of the first week - so I started with little things. I avoided any bending and positively NO lifting - but would do little things. Set the table, put dishes in the top of the dish washer, pick up newspapers from table and take to recycling, etc. Something that made me feel like I was doing something, but never too much. By the end of week 2 - I am able to do more - I dust the house with a Swiffer Duster and the kids vacuum. I have made some meals that don't involve standing a long time (kids put pans in and out of oven - but they are 16 & 19 - don't know how old yours are and if they can help in that way).

The bottom line is do what your body tells you - but remember your MD advice, if any. Mine gave me a paper with lists of "no-nos" like vacuuming, lifting ANYTHING over 10 lbs., driving, etc. and I have followed that list like a Bible. I go back for the 4 week check up Wednesday and hope that my following the list will give me my entire life back soon.

Take care and happy healing.
Unread 07-02-2006, 11:46 AM

We had surgery on the same day. I over did it yesterday. I felt really great and so i went to Costco with my dh. My dd came by for a visit with my twin 1 yo grandboys. I helped with the boys, but no lifting. Today I woke up feeling sore and a little mad at myself.

I want to heal right. I know you have tons to do with little ones, but you only have this one chance to heal right. Let those dishes pile up!! Take it easy!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2006, 11:57 AM

I am also getting back into a somewhat normal routine. I am one of those people who can not stand to see clutter and stuff that needs to be done, I have been doing some laundry (probably a no no), light cleaning in the kitchen and bathrooms, watering my yard; etc. I have done some lifting (25 lb cat) which I did twice and have not done since( do not do that)but I have not done any major housework, no sweeping, mopping or vacuuming, nothing major. It is so hard to see things that need to be done and not do anything but I have been taking it easy when my body tells me too. I think bringing the cat into the house was my worst offense. My DH is similar to yours, after the first few days I think he figured my recuperation was well under way and at 3 weeks here I am back to normal LOL. I let him know that this is not the case and if he has any questions call my Doctor
Unread 07-02-2006, 02:31 PM

I has a LSH, so was able to drive 1 wk post op. I have done some laundry and loaded/unloaded the dishwasher. I am also walking 10 min 3x day, but sometimes just twice cause it's so hot. I'm listening to my body, but the fairies aren't doing the housework in the middle of the night, and I've got to have clean clothes to wear, etc.

I guess my body will let me know. I do feel like crying a lot, though. Ovaries were left, but I think they are still in shock.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register