Water Retention | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Water Retention Water Retention

Unread 07-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Water Retention

Have any of you experienced water retention (edema) of the calves and feet as a part of menopausal symptoms?
(Just wondering if it could be from that or if I should be looking at something else.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2006, 09:21 PM
Water Retention

hi i have had swelling behind my knees and in calf for a while now. doctors think it's nothing. my arms also are feeling it and it is painful (not very but still). i also have hot feet at night and very stiff joints everywhere every morning. i am not convinced this is nothing to worry about. i am on coumadin (blood thinner) till october since tests showed signs of a DVT or PE (though no clot was ever seen). i was in really good health before the surgery. Had hysterectomy because of fibroids and very enlarged uterus. i have gained 10 lbs since going to the hospital, and i lost weight in the hospital so that's even more poundage put on. my surgery was 4/17/06 and i came home 4/30. my swelling started on 5/2. any light you girls can shed on this would be very much appreciated. thank you.
Unread 07-02-2006, 12:58 AM
Water Retention

hey wow me too. i think the joint stiffness has to do with us not exercising as much, or could be the drugs we were on in the castle.. It happened to me after both my children were born.. the swelling was awful... it hurt really bad.. this time is not so bad but still by the time evening rollls around my belly and feet are swollen and the feet can sometimes feel like they are on fire... its getting better.. I use a foot bath massager every other night with cool water and ice them the other nights with hard ice packs.. take carereba
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-02-2006, 01:50 AM
Water Retention

I am having the opposite thing happening to me right now... I am losing all my water, my skin (fat on arms and legs) is just wiggly-giggly hanging, not puffed up, and my skin is drying up. I am having charlie horses all night long in both my legs, probably from the loss of all my water and calcium, potassium, and magnesium (my guess.) My weight loss is fluctuating between 5-10 lbs since the hospital, but I am guessing that is mostly water, and, I stopped smoking so I was really expecting to gain weight. I am already 60+ pounds overweight, so I won't complain about the loss if it sticks once I feel good again.
Unread 07-02-2006, 11:11 AM
water gain/loss

be careful not to get too dehydrated with your water loss. *** REBAROZ--how long did the swelling in your legs last? it's now been nearly three months since my surgery and i still have it.
Unread 07-02-2006, 12:23 PM
Water Retention

well im retaining it too not only in my feet and hands but my belly feels bloated all the time. I have that feeling like i just ate a big turkey dinner only thing it never goes away.
Unread 07-02-2006, 03:47 PM
Water Retention

KitKat,

I too had menopausal symptoms before my hyst..one of them being slight swelling (dont all women swell was my thought?). After the hyst I blew up like a tick! My Dr cut my estrogen in 1/2 and added USP progesterone (the bodies natural diuretic). Wa la....no more swelling! Oh and also she recommended I drink 1/2 my weight in oz. of water daily (ie a 140# woman needs 70 oz of water a day)...saying water primes the pump. it works! Ive not felt this good in YEARS! even tho Ive not lost much weight my rings twirl around on my fingers where they have been tight for eons.
Unread 07-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Water Retention

maree, I'm still going thru it! As for drinking water..... If you drink ice water it makes your body burn more energy to warm it up for your body to use it. it says so in the bowflex book. my dh has lost 60 pnds since las summer...my turn next when able

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register