surgical induced menopause questions....kinda long | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgical induced menopause questions....kinda long surgical induced menopause questions....kinda long

Unread 11-09-2006, 08:56 AM
surgical induced menopause questions....kinda long

Hey girls,
I have a few questions here that my doctor just hasn't answered. He's an excellent surgeon and doctor but his "bedside" manner leaves something to be desired. I'm 33 and had a TAH/BSO b/c of borderline ovarian tumors. Needless to say I was thrown right into menopause. My doctor put me on 1.25mg of Premarin once a day. That has pretty much taken care of the hot flashes, had my first the night of the surgery, and the night sweats. I didn't have really bad mood swings, just get a little emotional sometimes watching tv. lol. Anyway, no other side effects were discussed.
I've noticed though that my skin seems to be drier and so is my hair. I had it cut and colored Sat. and it hasn't bounced back as fast as it did before, it looks kinda dry and frizzy. Is this from menopause...and if so any suggestions on what I can do??? I'm pretty picky about my hair. Also, anything else I should look out for??

_________
TAH/BSO at 33 b/c of recurring borderline ovarian tumors, also hiatal hernia repair
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2006, 09:40 AM

Hi - it could very well be from menopause. Try switching your shampoo and conditioner. I've had to do that every once is a while. I use the Thermasilk for color treated hair and the conditioner and that seems to work well for me. Also Paul Mitchell's heat and seal is good - gets rid of the frizzies. Good Luck!!!
Unread 11-09-2006, 09:43 AM

I'm 7 weeks post op tomorrow and have also noticed that my skin seems much drier than before. I've just gotten some good lotion and started taking some vitamin E to help with that.

Don't see much of a difference with my hair though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2006, 10:39 AM

For me my skin is so dry it is burning. I startrd using a shower gel with oatmeal and then when I get out I use lotions. It has really help me.
Unread 11-09-2006, 10:48 AM

I, too, have very dry skin and hair. I'm also losing a bunch of hair.

I swap shampoo every 3 days. I use one brand for 2-3 days, then use another for 2-3 days. It seems to keep the moisture in check. I also use an after-shower moisturizer on it to help. Still dry (with dandruff - yuck).

Best of luck to you!
Unread 11-09-2006, 11:17 AM

Thanks ladies, nice to know I'm not the only one. I do use moisturizing shampoo and a moisturizing mask. May try some supplements. Has anyone tried the Olay body wash w/ lotion in it? I'm terrible about using lotion outside the shower. Always forget. I have had to change my face cleaner though, face was always so oily and broken out. Now it's dry and broken out! I'm trying the Olay cleaner that "fight the 7 signs of aging and acne". It seems to be working pretty good. Thanks again.
Unread 11-09-2006, 11:18 AM

I had a problem after my rectocele surgery with dry hair and dry skin etc. Apart from the hormone issues of a hysterectomy, the surgery procedure etc will also be affecting you. This should all improve, but moisturise and use lots of conditioner.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register