Advise needed about timing of first time | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advise needed about timing of first time Advise needed about timing of first time

Unread 02-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Advise needed about timing of first time

I was cleared last Friday for sex at my 6 week check-up. I haven't had any spotting or discharge since exactly week 2. So my thought was to wait until my DH and I go on our fabulous beach vacation to try and have our first time. How romantic, right? We leave in 2 weeks so that would put me at 8 weeks healing. But then I started reading about how alot of women spot and bleed clots etc after having sex and the response is to call the doctor to check if the cuff is OK which I wouldn't be able to do from the trip. So my delimma is do I attempt sex now so I can make sure everything is OK or do I give things a couple more weeks to heal and most likely it will be fine then? I will be swimming in a pool and the ocean so I for sure don't want any premature tearing where bacteria can get in. Or am I over thinking this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2013, 03:11 PM
Re: Advise needed about timing of first time

Seriously45!!

I can totally see your dilemma. Here is what I can share with you from my experience. If you want your vacation to be romantic, I honestly think it would be best if you tried to have sex a couple of times before you leave. The reason I say this is that the first couple of times can be sort of awkward, a little painful, and not very romantic at all. Not to mention to possibility of some bleeding afterward (not that this happens to everyone).
Resuming sex needs to be kind of a slow process. Even if you are cleared by your you will still want to take it slow.
Some tips for your first time, regardless of where and when you attempt it:
1. Take it slow. Don't try anything to "rough" to start out. Slow and steady.
2. You need to be in control. It works best if you are on top the first few times so you can control things like depth and speed...and you can stop if you need to.
3. Have a glass of wine or something to help you relax. You need to be as relaxed as possible.You may think you are ready, but you will be surprised how nervous you are when the time actually gets there.
4. Lube, lube, and more lube. For the first few times, you will want to use some sort of lube. Even if you feel that you may not need it. It just makes things easier, which will help you relax and hopefully enjoy it more.

Of course, it is up to you and your hubby, but I really would test things out before you head off to your big romantic vacation. That way, maybe by the time you get there, you will have the few awkward times behind you and the two of you can truly enjoy each other.

to you!! I hope all works out well for you and you have a wonderfully romantic vacation!!!

Unread 02-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Another thought...if you are home and near your doctor after you try having sex and something happens it is much better than being out of town and have to go to an ER.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2013, 09:03 PM

I'd go for it now and take the pressure off the vacation so you're free to enjoy yourself without the nagging worry about "What if something goes wrong"... the vacation will still be wonderful and romantic, maybe even more romantic when you can go feeling secure about taking part in all the swimming, soaking and sex without fear.

(And, BTW, on top was a bit much for my abs the first couple of times back in the proverbial saddle, but "spooning" worked nicely and I had no trouble with good ol' missionary, so long as I did not get too cute about where my legs went)
Unread 02-19-2013, 10:26 PM

I agree with all that has been said so far. Our first time was really, really awkward. It was almost comical. And it wasn't like we hadn't been intimate at all before that. After I was cleared for outercourse, it was like all we could do NOT to have sex, but once the much-anticipated deed was allowable, it was suddenly tense. Instead of being spontaneous and romantic, it was sort of like a mission. It was like: lube? check. Towel? check. Mood music? check. Ok lets do this! Are you ready? Giggle, giggle, giggle. Then, the whole time, DH kept asking, does that hurt? Does that hurt? Of course my being tense waiting for something to hurt and worrying about all the things you mentioned that could go wrong did not help. After the first couple of times, finally we got back some spontaneity and romance. I think it's best to know what to expect. I hope you have a wonderful and romantic getaway!
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:13 AM

I totally agree with everyone above. I'd try it out Before your trip. We did the deed at 7 weeks after dr cleared me at 5 weeks. It was pretty awkward but wonderful to be able to be intimate with DH again. And I agree, lube lube lube! I swear I used 1/2 a bottle of astroglide Lol!
Unread 02-20-2013, 07:54 AM

LOL! Ours first night with clearance (last night) turned out to be Mission Impossible! Neither one of us could do it. He was too afraid of hurting me and I was too afraid of being hurt! It was pretty comical. You would have thought we were getting ready for our first time.

We both had a shower. I had some wine. We were ready. Got into bed 2 feet away from each other and neither of us moved!

With that being said, if you are able to overcome the first time obstacles better than us, I would go ahead and get it out of the way now before you go on vacation. At least then you will be able to enjoy it!
Unread 02-20-2013, 08:14 AM

Thanks everyone! I am very nervous and honestly I don't have much of a sex drive. I'm hoping once it starts it will get going - that's how it was before the hyster. Unfortunately this morning DH and I had a spat so I don't think the deed will be happening tonight. Ugh. To make things worse he has my car so I am stuck at home all day since his is in the shop!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register