too much activity post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

too much activity post-op too much activity post-op

Unread 03-11-2005, 10:16 AM
too much activity post-op

Hi all. I have just registered and am 2 weeks post op from a TVH. From reading on this website, it is clear to me that my recent days of pulling/heaviness/cramps is due to too much activity too soon. My question is to others who have also had this experience. What has your recovery been like when you slowed down? How much modification of your daily activity was needed to get rid of the discomfort? Have any of you had complications/adhesions etc. that you ascribe to your activity level? Any insight would be so welcome! Thanks. Wishing you all you other newbies a good recovery. Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2005, 10:20 AM

Hi Leslie

I've moved your second post here from the Introduce Yourself forum to the Post-Op message board so that you can get support from other recent post-op Sisters.

As mentioned to you in Introduce Yourself, the Post-Op Articles and Checkpoints are excellent sources of information in addition to what you can share here on the message board with others. It's the best of both worlds!

s to you!
Unread 03-11-2005, 10:27 AM

Ok here gos,
after a few days of resting I decided to clean the house a bit and spent the next few days in bed ..2 weeks later im feeling fantastic and lots of energy so i decide again to clean and woah did i ever pay for it after. I would take my medication and feel great for 4 hours and basicly over do it . Finaly My dr told me he wasent going to refill my meds unless i actually rested and so here I am still taking it easy but everyday is better then the last. I have been out shoping and also clean like a mad woman but I rest when i start feeling tired even if im only halfway through with the work. Im going on my 5th week now and let me tell you its 100% different then my 3rd and 4th. Every day you push yourself will effect how you feel the next.( its like rehab)
you will heal faster and feel better if you take rests during the day(I know its boring) I get together with my other sisters on yahoo and we chat up a storm daily and this helps . You are welcome to join us ..My name is (Oops! Chat name removed for privacy reasons! Please send this information via PM or e-mail. )
also I was doing great during my 2 week and when i went into my 3rd 4th everything started pulling and the soreness returned and my Dr said that was part of my healing. so long story short "rest" "rest" and then "rest" some more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-11-2005, 11:12 AM
I learned my lesson as well...

I'm 11 days post-op. I overdid it the first two days home from hospital .... especially on the second day ... and paid for it with a very painful evening/night.

However, since then I've tried to remember to intersperse my activity with regular rest periods and my body appears to have forgiven me and resumed a steady course of healing itself.

I admit I'm a bit concerned that as I start feeling better, I'll overdo it since I live alone and am easily bored. So there is no one to "sit on me" and keep me from doing too much.

Keep well,
IslandScribe
Unread 03-11-2005, 12:58 PM

I am 8 weeks post-op. Four days ago I decided to move all the livingroom furniture by myself. I didn't have any twinges, pulls or anything while I was doing it. I felt great. When I was done I went to Costco to shop and later out to dinner. The next day while on my second half-mile walk the pain hit me.. hard. I made it home and all I could do for the rest of the day/night was lay in my recliner with a heating pad. I hadn't felt pain like that since I was in the hospital. Luckily by resting the entire next day the pain went away. I'm going back to being the careful princess and leaving the heavy work to someone else.
Unread 03-11-2005, 01:58 PM

justjanice,

Thank you for your response. My surgery was just 5 days after yours. I overdid it yesterday (shovelled the snow from the whole driveway) and I am in pain today. I went to work but had to come home early. Now I'm going to take it easy.

Not to wish pain on anyone, but it does help me not to panic when I see that others still hurt so far post op.

I wish you a speedy and pain-free recovery.

Michaelat
Unread 03-11-2005, 02:19 PM

I can relate!! I am out 8 weeks, back to work, and decided to move tables and chairs in the library. Went to bed at 8 last night and missed the apprentice. Had a debilitating twinge that knocked me into a chair (where I still reside). I live alone also, and I would sit for awhile, then move, sit, then do dishes, sit, make a meal etc. This healing is taking longer than I'd anticipated!!
Unread 03-11-2005, 03:11 PM

I am in my fourth week post op. I can really relate to the "bored" and over doing part. Every time I think I have the energy to do something around the house or even sit up in the chair to do work on the computer for a few hours I pay dearly for it later with the dreaded "Swelly Belly". I seem to have most of my discomfort at night when I am in bed. Maybe if I pace myself better during the day, I will be able to sleep better at night. Other than that, my recovery has been surprisingly "uneventful.".
Unread 03-11-2005, 05:31 PM
too much activity

I am on week 3. 5 - really concerned about recovery - I am on a crew team (rowing) and that starts up end of April - any rowers out there??????
Unread 03-11-2005, 06:20 PM

Hello to all you new I was sitting here reading through the posts and decided I needed to respond. I had a TVH in August 2002 and I remember very clearly feeling like you all are feeling right now.My surgery was uneventful I spent less than 24 hours in the hospital(yeah crazy huh)? Anyway the first 2 weeks of my recovery I felt great. Thought I could conquer the world. Which by the way I tried to do. Week 3 I felt like I hit a brick wall. Depression, pain swelly belly ect. You all know what I mean. Anyway the wonderful ladies here kindly reminded me I had just had major surgery. During the first couple of weeks of recovery your body has not fully rid itself of the effects of the anethesia and all the drugs you may have been on. Hence the "good feeling" Once all of that wears off reality hits., My advice to you ladies PLEASE PLEASE TAKE IT EASY., If you overdo now you may prolong your recovery.Shoveling snow moving furniture even sitting too long can be too much.Everyone recovers differently so listen to your bodies. I have heard it said on this site that a complete recovery can take from 6 weeks to yes even up to a year. This is not meant to scare any of you.As I said everyone recovers differently. I think I finally felt "good at about 4 months.THE MORE YOU REST NOW THE QUICKER YOU WILL RECOVER. I know some of you are probably going crazy sitting around or getting grief from loved ones especially those of you 6 weeks out or more but again you have just had major surgery..
So ladies take it from someone who has been there it does get better. Why jepordize your recovery. Don't you want to be feeling better sooner? Ok enough said. If I sound like a mother hen I apoligize.I just wanted to share what I learned(the hard way).
Best of luck to all of you in your recovery!

s

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register