bicornuate uterus | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bicornuate uterus bicornuate uterus

Unread 08-14-2008, 02:37 PM
bicornuate uterus

hi there. i have only posted a couple of times, i don't want to over do it, even though i have a billion questions. however, i do feel that i just can't get the info i need on this question and need to post again.

i have a bicornuate uterus. two uteri connected with only a teeny-tiny opening to allow menses to flow out of one. the other is totaly sealed. i am sched. for a hyst. on aug.26. i am keeping my overies and have almost decided on taking out my cervix.

my questions are about weather i should have tah or lavh (my doc gave me the choice) i'm worried that if i have the lavh there might be something left, seeing as my anatomy is so bizzar. i had a dnc (d&c?) last year and ended up with a horrible infection because the dr. couldn't determine what i looked like in there.

my new surgeon is amazing and i love her, she did wonderfully on my lap tubal ligation, but this is a biggie and i am more worried.

has anyone else been in my position? i understand that my anatomy is very rare.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
bicornuate uterus

I don't know what to advise except asking your doctor about her confidence and skill with each procedure and try to determine if she has a preference. My doc is a lap guru so that's what I would choose with him because the recovery is much easier. Perhaps an option would be to choose the lap with the agreement that it will change to abdominal incision if she needs to.
Unread 08-14-2008, 05:28 PM
bicornuate uterus

My hyst was supposed to be a lap but ended up being a TAH due to an enlarged uterus. Hindsight is 20/20 but in my experience had I asked more questions I would have gone right to the TAH as the odds were good that my uterus was too large for the lap going in. Since it was a conversion, my surgery was longer and the recovery a bit more difficult. Again, this was only my personal experience and I would just suggest you clarify things with your doc and make the decision that you feel is best for you.

Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2008, 05:51 PM
bicornuate uterus

My Dr said the only way to make sure all my endo was out was to do it abdominally, (TAH). He said it was the only way to guarantee everything was out, I have endo.
Unread 08-14-2008, 06:44 PM
bicornuate uterus

thanks very much. it was thought i had endo, but a lap last arip showed that maybe that wasn't the case. all symptons match and it was a bit of a quandry.

i'll have pre-op next wednesday and i'll have a lot more questions than i thought for her.

thanks again

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register