Ovary 'failure' post hyst? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovary 'failure' post hyst? Ovary 'failure' post hyst?

Unread 06-01-2009, 10:51 AM
Re: Ovary 'failure' post hyst?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby2010 View Post
Thank-you for putting this in the right place and thank-you to so many people for replying.

I have read this 50% quite a bit but I also read that as hysterectomies are done mainly in the UK in 40+yr old women then a fair percentage of those would have happened anyway, hysterectomy or not.
I really wan to know where those figures are coming from . I don't believe the 50% number and would like to read it myself.
Also I have read that more Hysts are done in the US. Something like 600,000 women a year. I am hoping that I am not misquoting.
I feel like the 50% figure is just being used as a scare tactic, so I feel like I need something more concrete.
As I said in my previous post the women I know who kept their ovaries did not have them fail. One even had post surgical hot flashes, but still went through menopause in her 50's.
I am very glad I kept mine. Surgical menopause would have been hard for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2009, 12:11 PM

Although my ovaries haven't failed, they have slowed down quite a bit. I had an endometrial ablation 2 1/2 years ago at the age of 42, and after that began to experience some of the symptoms of perimenopause. All my blood tests show that I'm still ovulating, but my estrogen production has dropped. After my hysterectomy, the symptoms worsened a great deal, so I began taking oral estrogen. I'm starting to feel like I'm cycling again each month, so perhaps the estrogen is helping my ovaries wake back up.

I wasn't quite ready for all the perimenopause stuff just yet, but I suspect it's easier to have ovary problems after hysterectomy, with gradual changes, than the immediate menopause experienced by having both ovaries removed during surgery.

I am not sure where the 50% statistic comes from, either, but even with them slowed down a bit, I'm happy I still have mine doing some of their job.

Unread 06-01-2009, 12:51 PM

Okay, I did some digging! The 50% number sounds high to me as well! So, here is an article we have in our Resource Database:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...on=jump&lid=39

It states that the failure rate of the ovaries following a hysterectomy is between 26 and 39%, far less than 50%!

Hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-01-2009, 12:57 PM

Thank you Weiser!
Unread 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM

Thank you Weiser!!!
Unread 06-01-2009, 04:23 PM

I'd feel better if it said 5% of women have them fail. But all the women I've personally talked to say its been fine for them. As for where the stat came from, you just have to google 'ovarian failure post hysterectomy' and there it all is.

My feeling is that this figure was from one study from only-god-knows-when-or-where, but became accepted as 'fact', because I have even read that figure in a women's health book I have.

At any rate, it is among the primary reasons I freaked out and delayed my procedure. Now I'm taking a day off work with cramps - again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register