Out and about today! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Out and about today! Out and about today!

Unread 08-03-2006, 07:00 PM
Out and about today!

Well, today was 13 days since my TAH. I was stark raving crazy looking at the same 5 rooms so out I went with my Dad (who lives with us). I had a pedicure, stopped by the drug store and then we ate Mexican. Didn't get too tired, but after a nap noticed I was really aching so took a nice pain pill. Is this pretty par for the course at this point? I'm free to drive tomorrow, but am a little afraid...did anyone else wait longer than two weeks to drive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Out and about today!

Didn't it feel good to get out? I overdid it the first time I went out and was sore the next day. It will get better. I waited longer than two weeks to drive. It was almost three weeks before I drove by myself. I was still pretty sore and just didn't feel comfortable about it. Listen to your body. If you're not comfortable with it, wait a day or two.
Unread 08-03-2006, 07:44 PM
Out and about today!

Hi Otessa, its great to hear you got out and treated yourself...wow..you go girl...and as for driving, i drove from day 4, i didnt have a choice had to get kids to school. I did ok, the hard part was getting in and out of the car, and be careful of the steering wheel...IT BITES.....lol Just take it easy it IS all par for the course....hugs to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2006, 07:53 PM
Out and about today!

Hi Lisa,
It's been 17 days for me and I still haven't driven yet. I've gone out in the car a few times with someone else driving. I think I will wait the full 3 weeks because I don't feel comfortable yet, I will just go on a short drive on Monday to see how it feels.
Unread 08-03-2006, 07:57 PM
Out and about today!

My Dr. didn't release me to drive until the 4th week, but I had to before that. I just went slow (in Houston????) and tried to take it easy. I noticed that I needed a pain pill after more than a couple of hours out. I learned the hard way that when I overdid it, I paid the next day!

TAH & BSO
Unread 08-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Out and about today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by otessa
Well, today was 13 days since my TAH. I was stark raving crazy looking at the same 5 rooms so out I went with my Dad (who lives with us). I had a pedicure, stopped by the drug store and then we ate Mexican. Didn't get too tired, but after a nap noticed I was really aching so took a nice pain pill. Is this pretty par for the course at this point? I'm free to drive tomorrow, but am a little afraid...did anyone else wait longer than two weeks to drive?
I had my TAH on the same day you did. I drove 1 mile out and back yesterday (I did a few trial runs in the driveway with the clutch and brake pedal). I drove slowly. To be honest, getting in and out of the car is the hardest part. I am not going to drive again for a while because I have a sore area (feels like a burning softball on my left side)...I didn't aggravate it by driving, but by getting in and out and wearing a seatbelt.

Andrea
Unread 08-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Out and about today!

I had a LSH on 7/24/06 and yesturday was my 1st time driving. It was only a couple of miles from my home and my DH instisted on coming with me to make sure I was ok. Today I did a couple of errands with my DS age 6. Well everything went fine, the only problems for me were trying to find something to wear in public that looked ok with out it rubbing or touching my tummy. Then getting in and out of my car which is a SUV. The seat belt I can not use because of where the lower strap crosses my waist ( I did try). It did make me feel human and independant again. When I got home I was exhausted and it seems when I start to ache I walk like I'm pregnant. Very flattering!!! My advise, take a small ride. Enjoy the indepenance and the scenery, even if it is only to the end of your street and back. Do it for you and your mental well being!!!
Unread 08-03-2006, 09:40 PM
Out and about today!

Hello,
I started driving at day 10, I just had to, it got so depressing just waiting for friends to come and pick me up, friends have been few and far between since the operation, so it felt great to drive myself around, getting in and out of the car is the worst part, but it was so good for my morale that the discomfort was worth it!!!!!
Unread 08-03-2006, 09:51 PM
Out and about today!

Erichmindy,
Haha! I can relate to the "pregnant shuffle!" I started driving 7 days out (very short trips around the neighborhood - 2 miles at most)and yes, getting in and out is the worst! I use a rolled-up towel between my belly and the belt - that helps. I went to the movies today, and I have to say after sitting for 2 hours I felt I needed a crane to lift me out of my seat when the end credits started rolling! Did the "pregnant shuffle" all the way back to the car. But I felt so great to be out in the grownup world, eating popocorn with a dear friend, that the discomfort has become a sidebar to my life. My life takes beginning credits now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register