Scheduled LAVH Upcoming hysterectomy: Question about Pelvic Floor if cervix is removed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Question about Pelvic Floor if cervix is removed Upcoming hysterectomy: Question about Pelvic Floor if cervix is removed

Unread 11-25-2014, 03:02 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy: Question about Pelvic Floor if cervix is removed

Hi Ladies,
I have been on here everyday and seen a lot of comments about the pelvic floor if the cervix is being removed. Can someone explain exactly what that is about. I'm having uterus, cervix and tubes but keeping ovaries. Kind of nervous about upcoming date 12/22.

all input welcomed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2014, 03:23 PM
Re: Question about Pelvic Floor

Hi! 😊 I think you are asking about pelvic floor support and the possibility of prolapse, is that right? I had a sacrocolpopexy along with my hysterectomy in order to repair my bladder prolapse and my urologist did say that he thinks leaving the cervix provides better pelvic floor stability in the future. However I had a history of cervical dysplasia so I opted to have my cervix removed as well.
Unread 11-25-2014, 05:38 PM

Rescuepups, yes that's what I'm asking about. I guess i need to do some research to see if that means something will fall etc. I know that sounds crazy...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-25-2014, 05:56 PM

No, it's a valid concern. But I had the works - uterus, cervix, ovaries & tubes - removed 18 months ago and nothing's fallen yet. :-) As I understand it, prolapse following a total hysterectomy is the exception rather than the rule. Your chances of prolapse are increased *slightly* by the surgery, but I'd suggest not loosing sleep over it. Exercises to strengthen your pelvic floor sure wouldn't hurt.
Unread 11-25-2014, 06:14 PM

From what my doctor said a lot of things impact whether you will have a prolapse. Many women here having a hyster already have prolapse, and they still have a cervix. I would ask your doctor what they think your specific risk factors are. My dr felt I was at low risk even with cervix removal because I have never had children.
Unread 11-25-2014, 08:01 PM

The medical community is not all in agreement regarding removal of cervix and prolapse. Some believe that having the cervix removed increases the risk, others disagree. Here is an article that may help: Hysterectomy, Cervix, and Pelvic Organ Support.

I had a TAH BSO over three years ago and have not had any issues.

Speak to your doctor about your concerns, given your particular situation.

Unread 11-25-2014, 08:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the feedback
Unread 11-30-2014, 07:10 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Question about Pelvic Floor if cervix is removed

Hi! I had LAVH and had my tubes, cervix, and uterus removed opting to keep both ovaries. I have seen the same posts. If you're very concerned about this, you should consult your doctor ; however, I have had no issues. I haven't even had so much as a UTI. I did have to go A LOT in the first couple weeks after surgery, but now everything's back to normal and I don't feel like if your doctor did an exam and he/she didn't have concerns then you shouldn't be either. Good Luck
Unread 11-30-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn.Jones View Post
Hi! I had LAVH and had my tubes, cervix, and uterus removed opting to keep both ovaries. I have seen the same posts. If you're very concerned about this, you should consult your doctor ; however, I have had no issues. I haven't even had so much as a UTI. I did have to go A LOT in the first couple weeks after surgery, but now everything's back to normal and I don't feel like if your doctor did an exam and he/she didn't have concerns then you shouldn't be either. Good Luck
Thanks evelyn
Unread 11-30-2014, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyt2014 View Post
Hi Ladies,
I have been on here everyday and seen a lot of comments about the pelvic floor if the cervix is being removed. Can someone explain exactly what that is about. I'm having uterus, cervix and tubes but keeping ovaries. Kind of nervous about upcoming date 12/22.

all input welcomed.
I already have a uterine prolapse and my Dr is taking the uterus, tubes and cervix. A sacralcolpopexy is being done to correct the prolapse. Additionally he would like to do a bladder sling for stage 3 cystocyle and surgery to correct the rectocyle. At least that is the plan to date. My surgery is on Jan 7 and I plan to discuss this with him Friday. I have many concerns as well.
I don't know if retaining the cervix is the way to go or not. I also may not be a candidate anyway. Endometriosis and ablation syndrome. Good luck. I'll share what I learn on Friday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register