Anyone here have a UAE? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone here have a UAE? Anyone here have a UAE?

Unread 09-16-2004, 03:01 PM
Anyone here have a UAE?

I'm Carolyn and new to the board. I've been reading through many posts with interest and have seen this mentioned from time to time, but I thought that there would be more said here about Uterine Artery Embolization.

I'm seriously considering having this done and am wondering if anyone else here has gone through it or knows of anyone else who has. I have joined a Yahoo group that discusses this and it has helped but I'd love more input on this new procedure.

I am a candidate for this. I've seen a radiologist and even though my fibroid is fairly big--15 cm--he says it could help. I realize it's not a complete cure but many have had good results. I'd love to hear of other experiences.

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Carolyn Baldwin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Anyone here have a UAE?

Dear Carolyn:

Welcome to HysterSisters

I didn't have fibroids, but here is a link to the fibroid section of our Resources Directory: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26

Kudos to you for checking into all the alternatives before making a decision. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 09-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Anyone here have a UAE?

I too was interested in UAE. however it was determined that i was not a candidate for the procedure. like you I was looking for an alternative. histersisters is a great source for information . I am sure other ladies on thie site can help you.

All I know is that my radiologist said that it has helped many women. I understand there are risks and possibly some pain involved, unfortunately the radiologist diagnosed that I had Ademo and a UAE would not help me. Keep us posted!

jane321
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2004, 01:23 PM
uAE

I was recommended to try Lupron for 1 round (3 months) to determine if the reduction in size would help me and then have the UAE. The md said that this way if it didn't help I wouldn't have to have the procedure done, which is invasive.
Unread 09-17-2004, 01:34 PM
UAE

Hi!
I am new to the site and was scanning around and saw your question re: UAE.
I had the procedure done last May for my adenomyosis. I think it is primarily done for fibroids but my dr. thought it would be my answer to preventing a hysterectomy.
The procdure itself was fine, although unseuccessful for me.
I went in the am to the hospital, had an epidural and the dr. was great..let me choose the music for the procedure and the went in thru the vein in my groin, put the plastic in for the vein blockage and then an overnight and home the next day.
Now with that all said, it didnt go without any glitches....after procedure I happened to bleed out of the vein site and they had a 10 lb weight on my thigh till the next day to make sure I clotted. Once got home ran a post-op fever for 15 days - not fun at all but again trying to do all to prevent further surgery.
After all of that - I am back to having the hysterectomy.
Hope I have helped and good luck to you.

Jen
Unread 09-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Anyone here have a UAE?

Hi, Carolyn. I'm Cindy, and I had UAE in March 2003. It worked great for me and was an easy procedure with an easy recovery. The first 2 days recovery were painful, but after that, it was a lot like recovering from the flu. Up and down, but never DOWN. I was back to work in 2 weeks (per doc's orders) but could probably have been back sooner.

If you think you're interested in UAE you might try this web site:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/embo/

Best of luck to you!

Cindy
Unread 09-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Anyone here have a UAE?

Cindy,

Just curious what size your fibroids(cm or weeks would be fine) were and how quickly they shrank.

Thanks,
Unread 09-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Anyone here have a UAE?

MsM,
My first u.s. in 5/02 showed an overall uterine size of 9 wks. It steadily went up until the UAE in 3/03 at which time it was 16-18 weeks size, and MUCH more noticable in symptoms and even to the naked eye. Total uterine volume before the uae was just over 1,200 cc's. (approximate size of a pineapple) 11 weeks after uae I had an u.s. that showed a 47% reduction. At 15 months as a matter of follow up after my yearly check up the u.s. showed additional reduction in overall uterine volume, now down to under 400 cc's or 68% reduction.

It worked great for me and I feel very blessed to have found out about the procedure on the internet. My gyn never mentioned it. When I brought it up to him he played stupid, then had his nurse call to schedule me for a TAH & oopherectomy. He's not my doc anymore, even though I think he is a very good doc and excellent surgeon.

Cindy
Unread 10-01-2004, 03:39 AM
Anyone here have a UAE?

Cindy,

That is very encouraging b/c my situation sounds similar. Just curious if anyone suggested that your 1 year of rapid growth might be anything suspicous. In 2 years I went from someone saying "you have a small fibroid" to 16-18 wks. Unfortunately the 2 year was only based on phys. exam, not mri etc. However since fibroids grow 1-2 cm per year both of us seem to have had above normal growth. I also was not at that bothered until recently by them. The radiologist I met with said that they do that often, growing slowly until they go over the edge and bother us. I am all for UAE but wd not want to do it if there is a sarcoma. I realize this is very rare but the mds don't like the rapid growth. The rad. said the fibroids look as though they have "been there a long time" and "typical" but me being the worrying type start imagining things. They also don't want to guarantee anything b/c of the size. You sound very lucky as it is better than average results which are 50% reduction after 6 months. I am going for another Doppler ultrasound in 2 wks to check again but I am leaning twds UAE b/c I really don't want surgery.
Unread 10-01-2004, 08:00 AM
Anyone here have a UAE?

MsM,
My doc did not seem to concerned about the year of growth. Matter of fact, he indicate (as did my research) that the growth is normal as we near meno. He did mention the possibility of cancer, but said that is so rare he will probably never see a case in his lifetime of practice. I know that breast cancer is a MUCH greater probability, but I'm not having them whacked off just in case. Life is full of so many unknowns, I felt preventative removal was not going to give me any peace of mind. There's still LOTS of places I could end up getting cancer.
Although my results are extremely good, they are not rare for uae. The pain I'd been having, as well as other symptoms I had never related to fibroids., went away within a couple of months. The bigger reduction I experienced after a year was just gravy.
By the way, periods sneak up on me now, where as before uae I always knew they were coming because I hurst so much and felt so generally LOUSY!
You might try this web site and talk to some of the ladies there. Whatever you decide, keep in mind, it needs to be what YOU feel comfortable with, not your doc, your friends or anyone else. Be true to you!! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/embo/
Keep in touch.

Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register