Should bipolar affect decision to keep ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should bipolar affect decision to keep ovaries? Should bipolar affect decision to keep ovaries?

Unread 08-01-2009, 11:01 PM
Should bipolar affect decision to keep ovaries?

I haven't been able to find much on this, so I was hoping someone here might have some information or experience.

I need to decide whether or not to have my ovaries removed when I have my hysterectomy.

Based on my endometriosis, the recommendation would be to remove the ovaries and forego HRT so that any remaining endo wouldn't have estrogen to feed off of.

My concern is that my moods went wild when I was on Lupron. That was long before my bipolar diagnosis. I'm wondering how the loss of my ovaries (and hormones they provide) might effect bipolar. I'd rather have some pain but at least feel sane than to be pain-free but a terror to be around.

Thanks!
Nancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Re: Should bipolar affect decision to keep ovaries?

I am in the same boat but I haven't been discouraged by my therapist on removing the ovaries. I am due to see my regular doctor next Friday (the Friday before the surgery) and get his opinion as well. regardless of what he says though, I'm going through with it. As long as my therapist (who deals more with my mood issues and anxiety/depression) says I should be okay and I continue to see her regularly then I think it will be okay (for me personally).

If you don't mind my asking are you on medication? I am on Lamotrigine which is the generic version of Lamictal. It has worked with my roller coaster mood swings (I have issues with euphoria, I thrive off of chaos and being pushed to work harder so when I crash I crash HARD). My surgeon hasn't mentioned anything about it and knows about my history with depression/mood disorder/anxiety. I am also on Buspirone (Buspar) for my panic attacks (which over the past month have been out of control, prior to the scheduling of the hysterectomy).

Lupron was something I was actually considering talking to my regular GYN about, but after reading the side effects, I started thinking more about the hysterectomy itself. I did read that it causes major mood swings so that really steered me away. I am concerned about HRT and what it might do to me, but I believe that by keeping an open line of communication with your physicians/surgeon it will help.

I wish I had advice, but I want to wish you good luck in your decision. It is a hard one. Personally I had to weigh my own pain and the other problems it was causing against the mood swings and other side effects.
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:42 AM

Thanks for your advice. It's so nice to find someone who understands this concern.

I'm going to try to get in to see my psychiatrist early this week to see what he says. He's brutally honest with me, so I trust his advice.

I'm like you, I absolutely thrive off of chaos! Before I was diagnosed, I was a major powerhouse at work because I could go for 18 hours straight and solve whatever they threw at me. My moods are more stable now, but I do miss those times of high-effectiveness.

Yes, I'm on medication for the bipolar. I take seroquel at night, lithium twice a day and lexipro in the morning. I have a prescription for ativan for the anxiety attacks, but I haven't had to use it too much lately. I'm sure as the surgery date nears, I'm going to be glad for that prescription.

Good luck with the surgery!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2009, 01:17 AM

Oh wow, you sound EXACTLY like me. I could work 70 hours a week at work if they allowed it. I'm a bit of a workaholic and this leave is going to be a hard one on me...my therapist got me to realize that what I was dealing with was euphoria. I came into her office one day and about collapsed...turned out I was crashing. I notice the Lamotrigine is having an effect on how fast I can work, which has affected my work a bit, but in the end, it's better to have this than to ride those roller coasters of emotion!

I am glad you have a good therapist who will help you out. And definitely discuss the anxiety/panic meds...I was on Clonazepam before and it is so pointless. The Buspar really saved me...I was having full blown panic attacks. I am a bit anxious with the upcoming surgery but I bet you if I weren't on Buspar, I would be worse.

Thank you and do keep us posted!
Unread 08-02-2009, 07:04 AM

Just keep a watch on your moods after surgery. I have BP type 2. I take a small dose of Lamictal once a day. I spent an extra night in the hospital (still here) b/c I had a total emotional breakdown yesterday morning. My doctor said...honey, do you need something for your nerves..lol. I kept my ovaries but I think they are not working quite right at this time. I was having a major hot flash and uncontrollable crying. I do not normally cry like that at all. Anyway, I have been taking xanax, percocet, and toradol by mouth and doing. OK. they d/c'd the Morphine PCA. I was itching like crazy. Best of luck,
Unread 08-02-2009, 09:58 AM

Oh, I feel for you! Hopefully those ovaries are just taking a moment to kick-start again. Your description reminds me a lot of when I was on lupron...except I was a major bit.. and you sound sweet as anything.

Best wishes for a speedy back-to-normal!
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:00 AM

Oh yeah, JC...that sounds very familiar. I think from now on I will consider you my hystertwin!
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystersisjess View Post
Just keep a watch on your moods after surgery. I have BP type 2. I take a small dose of Lamictal once a day. I spent an extra night in the hospital (still here) b/c I had a total emotional breakdown yesterday morning. My doctor said...honey, do you need something for your nerves..lol. I kept my ovaries but I think they are not working quite right at this time. I was having a major hot flash and uncontrollable crying. I do not normally cry like that at all. Anyway, I have been taking xanax, percocet, and toradol by mouth and doing. OK. they d/c'd the Morphine PCA. I was itching like crazy. Best of luck,
You know I've heard some people say "keep your ovaries, it's better, you won't have hormonal episodes" but I have spoken with a few people who have had a partial hysterectomy and they had the hormonal episodes. I mean that is a major part of your reproductive system going bye bye, you know?

Thank you for the advice, I am going to definitely voice those concerns to my doctors. I've been so moody lately bc my period is here but it's physically not here (this has been the case since Oct of last year). So I get all the emotional stuff. And the pain!
Unread 08-02-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hystersisjess View Post
I kept my ovaries but I think they are not working quite right at this time. ,
This is true...just because you keep them doesn't mean that they will always work. My one oavry I had left went into shock afterwards and took about 4 weeks before the hot flashes went away! Also I had so many problems with the ovary that was left..cyst...then I had it taken out about 4 weeks ago because it grew another cyst and cut off my intestine!

Ok so on the bipolar issue, my dad is bipolar, and I have (dr not sure yet Anger/Anxiety issues) and take neorontin (sometimes). I can't answer the question of taking ovaries out..I let my dr (gyn) decided when he looked at them if they were worth saving or not. I am on hrt (because of my age 29) but I would think hrt may be a good option if you have to take ovaries out and are worried about them being gone and thier effect on you, you can also maybe get your blood checked (estrogen levels) before hyst, then try to play with hrt to match levels after hyst. I too had a hyst because of severe endo, but my dr is more concerned about what would happen if I didn't take hrt than the endo coming back. Everyone's dr is different and whats right for one isn't always the same for another, but good luck!
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:20 AM

I am also Bipolar and thrive on chaosis. LOL I am also a powerhouse when it comes to working. I seen my psych a week before my TAH and the first question she asked me and looked concerned about was are you keeping your ovaries. Which I told her yes. I am still in the process after almost 4 years of this diagnosis to find a combination of drugs that work for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register