I'm too young to have to go throu this! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm too young to have to go throu this! I'm too young to have to go throu this!

Unread 04-17-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm too young to have to go throu this!

I've been lurking for weeks now, trying to gather info and experiences. The more I read the more terrfied I get...I'm not too sure if should continue resding these boards or not.

I'm 36 years old and have no children, I was diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer and I am having a total hytorectomy incl. ovaries. My surgery is scheduled for May 13th...had my pre-op yesterday.

It was my decision to have my ovaried removed and I second guess this every single day...with every post I read. I really dont know what to think or do anymore! I am so scared there are so many horrible stories on here so many people struggling.

I'm afriad I will change after the surgery...will I be different? Feel like an old lady? Look like an old lady? I'm so afraid of surgical menipause...HRT no HRT? So confused!

I love sex!! Yes I said it...I'll say it again, I LOVE sex!! Will I have no desire anymore? Dry as a desert?

Oh god help me!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm too young to have to go throu this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy_Pef View Post
I've been lurking for weeks now, trying to gather info and experiences. The more I read the more terrfied I get...I'm not too sure if should continue resding these boards or not.

I'm 36 years old and have no children, I was diagnosed with Endometrial Cancer and I am having a total hytorectomy incl. ovaries. My surgery is scheduled for May 13th...had my pre-op yesterday.

It was my decision to have my ovaried removed and I second guess this every single day...with every post I read. I really dont know what to think or do anymore! I am so scared there are so many horrible stories on here so many people struggling.

I'm afriad I will change after the surgery...will I be different? Feel like an old lady? Look like an old lady? I'm so afraid of surgical menipause...HRT no HRT? So confused!

I love sex!! Yes I said it...I'll say it again, I LOVE sex!! Will I have no desire anymore? Dry as a desert?

Oh god help me!!!!
I can't answer many of your questions because I haven't had surgery yet. Mine is scheduled for April 24th, I'm 26 years old and they are taking everything out aside from one ovary as long as its not messed up.

My friend had a total hyst last year and she was 33. She still looks exactly the same you'd never know unless you asked.
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Re: I'm too young to have to go throu this s*&#!

Poor you, how terrifying. Sounds like you need a lot more information and support from your doctors office in deciding what is the right treatment now and afterwards for you.

My doctor told me that if I was more concerned about cancer to remove my ovaries and if I was more concerned about menopause to keep the one that might be able to be saved. After 2 scares I was most concerned about cancer so took the same decision as you for removal. Turns out the "good" ovary had pre-cancerous cysts anyway. I also decided that since I had not reached menopause before the op that I would do HRT for protection of my heart and bones. HRT is not an option for everyone so you really have to discuss with your own doctor if it is an option for you, what to take and timing / when to start. I had an estrogen implant put in during my surgery which has worked out very well for me with only a few mild menopause symptoms.

Try to be selective in what you read on any website including this one. Perhaps try the information articles for now if the posts are freaking you out. And remember there may be a self selecting bias towards the negative side on here. People post mainly when they have problems or questions and want support. Those happily getting on with their busy lives tend not to need the site so much or don't post so much happy news of fast recovery, especially on the recovery threads, as they are concerned about making the slower healers feel bad.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-17-2013, 09:02 AM

I am one week post op and though I am still in pain, I miss sex. My sex drive has not been effected. Im 30 and always struggled with the natural ability to become moist, and my DH thankfully is not offended when I grab the many varieties of lubrication to assist.

Because I am 30 I wanted to keep my ovaries but within 5 years they are at risk to shut down anyway so don't get too hung up on that decision.

And honestly, the surgery and recovery is painful, no lies there, more painful than having a child, BUT the quality of life improves. My issues weren't as severe as cancer and I do have children but I would make the same decision. Even as I sit here and have a hot flash while typing. that's uncomfortable....

You can do this.,.
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:04 AM

Everything thankfully gone on Mar 1, 39, no HRT due to endometriosis. I think you will feel much better without cancer inside you! I know I feel much better.

You will still be you after surgery. Other women have posted here about resuming adventurous sex lives. You may be one of them soon enough.

I assume removing your ovaries is medically necessary. Your life is more important than they are.

As for god helping you, the cancer has been detected in time and it is coming out soon. What a blessing!
Unread 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM

My BFF had her ovaries and uterus removed at age 30. She is 40, and you'd never know without her telling you. I hate to admit, she looks better than I do, LOL. She has been doing HRT with really good results, and her doc has started talking about weaning her off in the not too distant future.

Hang in there and try to focus on the positive.
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:01 AM

Sorry you have this disease at such a young age. I hope you have discussed with your doctor whether estrogen had a role in your cancer. Maybe you will be able to have HRT after your surgery and that should help a lot with the menopause symptoms. Many of us had relatively easy, pain-free recoveries. It really depends on your own state of health, the surgical method, whether there are any complications. You do need to take it seriously and follow the medical recommendations about resting, lifting, and sex. I feel that my recovery has gone really well, but it takes time. I'm not going to lie, I miss estrogen and I did notice some "aging" effects once I went off HRT a few years back. But I'm still an active, healthy, red-blooded woman and bet you will be too. Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:06 AM

Just hang in there..
We all had these surgeries because we needed them..
I had a TAH 3 wks ago and today I'm feeling so much better, I did not get hot flashes and looking forward to being sexually active in 3 wks..
everyones recovery is different hang in there girl!!
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:30 PM
Re: I'm too young to have to go throu this!

I am only 21 and have endometriosis my doctor has schedualed me for a TAH and to have both ovaries removed on April 30 i am a little scared but i just keep thinking that the pain will be gone sometimes to get past our fears we just have look to the bright side of things al least think you will no longer have cancer.
Unread 04-17-2013, 01:31 PM
Re: I'm too young to have to go throu this!

I also have endometrial cancer (at 44) and I'm having my surgery in two weeks. My oncologist didn't give me the option of keeping my ovaries, she stated that there was a 25% chance that the cancer had already spread to them. I've been upset about losing them but I'm slowly coming to terms with it. She did offer to prescribe hormone replacement therapy for me and I am definitely going to take her up on that. It is scary, but if its early stage then surgery may be all the treatment we need. There is also a Cancer Concerns Forum on here where the sisters truly understand what dealing with this added issue means. (((((((((( HUGS ))))))))))

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register