Okay Now I'm Freaked Out - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Okay Now I'm Freaked Out Okay Now I'm Freaked Out

Unread 12-21-2006, 03:19 PM
Okay Now I'm Freaked Out

The decision to keep or remove the cervix is a very personal choice. (Unless there is history of cancer or something- then I'd take it out) But, there is also new research that says the sexual health and pelvic floor support theories for keeping it don't hold much water. Guess it's where you get your info what you will read these days. So, do as much research as you can and ask, ask, ask! I have heard (and my dr. confirmed) that in regards to sexual health- if you receive the most pleasure from external methods, you shouldn't notice any difference without a cervix. But, if you get most pleasure internally, then you may notice a difference. Not necessarily bad, just different. I haven't been cleared for sex yet, but when we just fooled around a week ago, I didn't notice any problems with pleasure! TMI, sorry! Just want to make sure you have all your info. Again, do your research and do whatever makes you the most comfortable. You can't go wrong following your gut. Best of luck to you as you make this decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Okay Now I'm Freaked Out

I thought I wanted to keep my ovaries because they are healthy (learned that from an ablation), if it ain't broken why fix it ? But DR (that will assist and I really like and respect) said, you are 53, do you want to go back in 2-3 years and have them taken out or maybe risk the chance of cancer ? So, it makes sense in my case to take them. And I should be into menopause now but my oldest sister is 59 and just almost thru it, Mom thought she was mid-50's when she was done with with it, so I may have a few more years. It's time to "mature".

I was on the fence about cervix, but DR who is doing the LSH said she perfers to take most of cervix leaving only the very small part next to the vagina to serve as pelvic support. I asked about mini-periods or the chance fibroids would attach to the remaining cervix and she said neither would happen with the little amount left.

I also have thyroid problems, sometimes hyper (gosh, I lose weight and have lots of energy !) then I go hypo and put on 30 pounds and sleep all the time. I finally decided 5-6 years ago that I'm gonna figure out this body of mine and live with it. I take a very good multi-vitamin and some other supplements every day and swear by drinking lots of V-8 juice. DH and I started playing golf a few years ago (for the sun, exercise and ok, I can drink beer...) Bought a treadmill a couple of weeks ago and walk at least 1 mile per day to prepare for this surgery. It makes me feel great and I hope this will speed my recovery too.

AND a good attitude always helps. If you go into something un-informed and expecting the worst, that's usually what happens. Do your research and learn everything you can. Be prepared and armed with knowledge. But the only stupid question is the ONE you don't ask.
Unread 12-21-2006, 09:12 PM
Okay Now I'm Freaked Out

Kelly is right.....when researching whether or not to keep my cervix, I found good arguments both in favor of as well as against retaining the cervix. The bottom line, from what I could decipher, was that there weren't enough studies to prove anything either way. It does come down to a personal choice. I decided to keep my cervix because I hadn't had any abnormal paps, and my feeling is 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it.' I didn't want him taking any more than was absolutely necessary - my uterus was the problem, not my cervix, so I chose to keep it. Maybe it helps to prevent prolapse and other issues....but maybe it doesn't???? In my opinion, there just wasn't enough concrete data to know for sure, so I chose to keep it. It's a personal decision- there is no right or wrong - the bottom line is that you need to make the decision that is right for you. If you do a search for 'keeping cervix with hysterectomy' you'll find pages and pages of information both in favor of and against keeping your cervix. Good luck in making your decision - the amount of conflicting information on the internet can be overwhelming sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Okay Now I'm Freaked Out

I had a total laposcopic hyst. on the dec 5th. It was outpatient at a surgery center. My mom thought I was crazy!!(to do it outpatient) I went in at 8:00 and came home at about 4:00. Peeing was not easy at first but once I relaxed it all came back. It was not a piece of cake but it was not too bad either. I took my pain medicine every four hours as told to by doctor for the first twenty four hours and I was fine. I did not believe the post where they said they did not hurt all that bad and tylenol took care of it, but it is true, the pain is not that bad. You do get very sore. I am a little over two weeks and I am feeling pretty good. I have three boys under 12 and they have kept me busy. I do tire easily and would like to take more naps but find if I just be a couch bum a couple hours a day then I can handle the rest of the day with them. I did keep my overies but everything else went. I did have some hot flashes in the beginning but those have gone away! Thank GOD!! I feel that it was a good decision and having it this way is strange to some but it seems so be easier than the other options. Good luck to You!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register