Uterine polyps...d&c and hysteroscopy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterine polyps...d&c and hysteroscopy Uterine polyps...d&c and hysteroscopy

Unread 09-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Uterine polyps...d&c and hysteroscopy

Im a new member as of tonight and had no idea how to post new thread at first. So, I posted this previously as a reply to a thread..

I went to my gyn today for an ultrasound follow up...dr told me I had significant uterine polyp and that he wanted to do a hysteroscopy and D&C to biopsy....said that there was a risk of uterine cancer but due to my age (30) he thought the risk was slight...my family history and symptoms slightly raised the risk...

I like to be informed so that I'm not as surprised when faced with challenging news but I even though I had been given ideas as to what my ultrasound might reveal. I wasn't prepared for this.

I know reading your posts that I'm probably making a big deal out I nothing and what I'm dealing with seems insignificant at this stage as to what others here have faced but I'm worried....I have been having severe bleeding ( more severe than normal...bleeding through multiple super pads in an hour), pelvic floor pain, bloating, cramping, constipation, fatigue, and frequent urinating....can anybody help me prepare for what might be heard? Are these symptoms similar to anyone else's?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2013, 03:40 AM
Re: Uterine polyps...d&c and hysteroscopy

Last year I had my 2nd D&C this time with hysteroscopy. My Dr. (GYN) found a polup and removed it during the D&C, he even gave me pictures. My symptoms were similar to yours only more concerning that I am post menopause and then was 58 years old. The test on the polup and the uterine lining material were non-cancerous. Unfortunately I continued to bleed heavily most of the next year while we tried different drugs/dossages and considered other options. In May 2013 I had another D&C and Hysteroscopy. There were no polups found but lining was again tested and no cancer. I was on 20mg Provera daily and somehow after this 3rd procedure I quit bleeding (Hooray). Hysterectomy was being planned but my GYN & Partner were not too experienced and I have multiple health problems including Morbid Obesity. I was referred to another more experienced GYN. He diagnosed me with PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovary Syndrome) and prescribed another drug to suppress my estrogen production and I am going to have weight loss surgery and see if I can lose another 60 pounds before we do a hysterectomy. I don't think your polup will turn out to be cancerous. I don't know if mine had anything to do with my bleeding or not, as I bled even more after it was removed. The D&C/Hysteroscopy procedure itself is nothing to be afraid of if you have a capable GYN. Mine were done in the hospital under general anesthesia so I didn't have any pain or remember anything. We believe my bleeding is from mixed up hormonal levels, but like you I worry as I have several risk factors for uterine cancer. I hope you are just fine and able to solve your problems with the help of your GYN. Don't be afraid to ask for refferals or second opinions if you don't feel comfortable with your GYN and what he/she has to say.
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:16 AM

Sweet Blessings

I had a D&C and hysteroscopy 5 years ago. All I ha prior was heavy bleeding. A transvaginal ultrasound showed a mass that my Dr thought was the source of recurring benign cervical polyps. Unfortunately for me it was a small cancerous mass which led to my hysterectomy but no further treatment after that.

There are many here that have just had things be fibroids or benign conditions so for now just prepare yourself for the next step which is the D&C.

Sending
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:28 AM

Thanks ladies...I'm anxious to have this done...find out today my surgery date...thanks for advice and encouragement.
Unread 09-06-2013, 04:19 PM

Hysteroscopy and D&C scheduled for Sept. 18th.
Unread 09-06-2013, 05:16 PM

I have been diagnosed with a uterine polyp. I have had many of your symptoms in the last year as well. My doc also suspects endo.

Looks like you will be in surgery before me ( mine is sept 30).

Best of luck to you! I hope they are able to remove it and you improve!
Unread 09-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Re: Uterine polyp awaiting D&C

Hi Sweetie,

As you're probably aware the vast majority of polyps are benign and hope this proves the case for you too. I believe most of the symptoms you mention can be caused by a significant polyp., In any case it is good your doctor is scheduling D&C to check things out more thoroughly.
There are others who have been plagued by polyp and I hope they come along soon. In the meantime you might also try searching this forum using the term uterine polyp or polyps.
Hopefully your D&C can be scheduled quickly. Pls keep us update.

Unread 09-06-2013, 06:59 PM

I had uterine polyps, a degenerative fibroid and hyperplasia. I had my polypectomy, hysteroscopy and D&C on May 31st of this year. Scared to death as this was my first time every having a procedure this involved. I was more afraid of being knocked out and a breathing tube more than anything. I was up front with my Gyn and the Anesthesiologist about it and they helped me through it all. I had twilight sleep and no tube for it. Was at the hosp at 12:30, in the OR by 1:30, back to recovery by 2:30 and home by 3. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Hard to say what they may find....everyone is different. They removed the polyp during this procedure, plus got a bigger area of my thickened lining for a bigger biopsy than I had in her office a couple weeks earlier. The polyp turned out to be fine, it was the results of the biopsy of the thickend lining that got me so to speak. Complex Hyperplasia with focal atypia. So..this finding along with other risk factors made my hysterectomy necessary a little over a month later. But....keep in mind..this is just my experience, it will NOT necessarily be yours.

Hope these are some of the answers you are looking for..if not or you want to know more, ask away! Take care!
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Re: Uterine polyp awaiting D&C

Thanks....it's scheduled for sept. 18th at 11...has been helpful to hear other women talking about what they've been going through and how they've persevered......this website has definitely been something Gods used to calm my anxiety. Thanks to all encouragers out there
Unread 09-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Uterine polyps...d&c and hysteroscopy

To StephanieB: thanks!! Will be praying for you as you have your procedure as well!!! Sorry that you're in the same boat and I hope all turns out well for you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register