Coffee? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:10 PM
Coffee?

There is no mention in my post-op instructions about coffee, so I assume it's OK to drink, but I thought I'd check and see if anyone else had any issues with it? I'm 2 days post-op and doing fine, but haven't had a BM. I'm thinking some coffee tomorrow morning might help with that. Usually my morning coffee causes a BM within an hour or so so hopefully I can get back on track! Plus I'm just missing my morning coffee routine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Re: Coffee?

I had no restrictions with coffee and it did help me to get regular again. I also drank lots of water, ate prunes and had oatmeal with my coffee. My doctor had me take stool softeners for the first couple of weeks too. I hope the best for your recovery.
Unread 10-27-2013, 06:16 PM

I was offered coffee or tea in the hospital... I'm sure as long as your not drinking pots of coffee a cup or two will be ok... and oh what a relief ) Drink lots of water & walk!

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2013, 07:01 PM

I wasn't allowed coffee - or food or anything *except* water - my first day after surgery. A friend of mine brought me a coffee and the nurses wouldn't let her give it to me! :-( But the next day I was put on "progressive liquid" diet, which included coffee at breakfast and lunch. (I got decaf at supper.) If they were giving me coffee in the hospital, it's probably okay!

I discovered when I got home (afternoon of day 3) that drinking my usual amounts of coffee and tea made me feel nauseous. I had to be careful with caffeine for the first couple of weeks, but I could certainly have a few cups a day.
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:09 PM

Coffee can bring on hot flashes, even if you kept your ovaries. For some, especially those with sensitive bladders, it can cause urinary frequency.
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:27 PM

They allowed me coffee once I was back on a regular diet in the hospital, I usually only drink it in the mornings (2 cups) and 1 in the evening, some evenings. It did help me get back to a normal routine with my BM's too. I'm actually more regular in that department now than I was pre-op.
Unread 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM

The only thing I wasn't allowed to drink was OJ. Not sure why?.
Unread 10-27-2013, 09:56 PM

I was also told I could have anything I want coffee included. In fact same day as surgery I had a Pepsi (Pepsi addict) lol. Different doctors, different hospital policies. As well each of us ladies are different so are our surgeries even if 10 of us had LAVH each for different reasons and different results. I think that's what helps us all help each other.
Unread 10-28-2013, 06:53 AM

I was thrilled when they brought me coffee with breakfast in hospital on day after my surgery. Yes coffee makes my hot flashes a lil worse somtimes but it's ALWAYS worth it. I have tried to cut down from 3 cups to 1 cup a day since surgery though. 8 /
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaileighgum View Post
The only thing I wasn't allowed to drink was OJ. Not sure why?.
And I was brought OJ on my breakfast tray the second day after surgery! Different hospitals, different docs, different policies.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register