16 days post op davinci infected top right incision - self care or call doc? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

16 days post op davinci infected top right incision - self care or call doc? 16 days post op davinci infected top right incision - self care or call doc?

Unread 11-10-2012, 01:26 PM
16 days post op davinci infected top right incision - self care or call doc?

Hello my fellow sisters first I'd like to say how appreciative I am to those that have put together such a place with such a wealth of information and the amazing support from so many. I'm still in awe after 3 weeks of observing and seeking.

Well today I am 16 days post op from a complete hysterectomy via davinci (sorry don't know all the abrevs just yet) and have found that my top right incision is infected. Last night I noticed a little darkness (more like black) to the scab and slight itchyness. So I cleaned the area and placed an antibacterial band aide over it. Well this afternoon it became unbearably itchy so I removed the bandage and was horrified to see it clearly infected.

So after cleaning lightly with peroxide and covered it with a bandage, I took my temp and it's 99.9. I did notice the last few days that I haven't felt so great and even called my doc to hesitantly get another refill for pain meds I thought I no longer needed. The pain has been mostly from waking up feeling like a horse stomped all over me. Anyway, the nurse did ask if I had a fever and I simply shrugged off the clammy feeling to all the hot/warm flashes I've begun having this week.

So I guess with all that, my question to those whom have had simular experiences and it being Saturday...is this something I should give a few days to see if cleaning it out 'takes' or is this something to call my doc about? All of my other incision sites have healed wonderfully but this one obviously not so much.

Thanks for reading my lengthy ramble and any insight is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2012, 01:50 PM
Re: 16 days post op davinci infected top right incision - self care or call doc?

I'd call the doc to be on the safe side.
Unread 11-10-2012, 01:57 PM
Re: 16 days post op davinci infected top right incision - self care or call doc?

If it was just a little red I'd have said waitt. But since it's clearly infected and you have a fever, I say call the on call Dr today. The infection can go deeper and you don't want an abcess or worse. Also they probably want different wound management from what you are doing. I was told no peroxide, just soap and water and a prescription ointment, no bandage. Your instructions may be different. Infections are best treated early, so call and talk to someone. That's what on call Drs are for, and it may be that you need medication. Let us know how the call goes and how you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Please call the doctor, I would not take any chance since it sounds infected to me.
My surgery was the 22nd and all incisions are healed but everyone is different.
Good Luck
Unread 11-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Thanks ladies I kinda had that gut feeling when I pulled the bandage off today. Then I got thinking about the layers underneath. Yikes! Thanks so much for the help and I'll definitely update. hugs!
Unread 11-10-2012, 02:29 PM

yes please call your doctor and let us know how you go.
Unread 11-10-2012, 02:46 PM

Wow they were on the ball! And here I was worried about disturbing the docs on the weekend. The doc on call told me to wash with soap and water and to just let air get to it and see if it improves. If tomorrow it is not better or my symptoms get worse, my personal doc will be on call.

She did say that it's possible the antibacterial bandaid I put on it yesterday could have aggravated the problem. ie too much antibacterial med on the site is bad. She also stated that peroxide they are finding does not promote healing. So a no go on the peroxide. O and the fever was nothing to alarm at 99.9 , she said it's your body letting you know something is up. Anything higher though, warrants another call.

Very much relieved! Thank you sister's again for your help and hopefully this situation can help someone else that encounters this issue.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register