TAH Incision size? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH Incision size? TAH Incision size?

Unread 10-16-2001, 07:08 AM
TAH Incision size?

Hi All,

I'm very greatful for the referral I got to this site - you're all strong, wonderful ladies!

(This is my first post and I hope I chose the right forum to post my question.)

Can anyone tell me the approximate size of the incision for a TAH? My guess is it's similar to a c-section.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2001, 07:12 AM
Welcome!

Hi Shuni and welcome to hystersisters! I hope you find as many answers as I did!

I had a TAH with a horizontal ("bikini") incision and it's about 7-8 inches long. From what I've read though, it varies widely depending upon the doctor and whether it is vertical or horizontal. I've heard of women with horizontal cuts smaller than mine, or as long as hip-to-hip. I've heard of women with vertical cuts that run belly button-to-pubic bone, and others that were pretty short.

The best thing to do is to ask your doctor specifically to show you on your belly what the cut will look like. That way you'll know what to expect.

Let us know if we can help you!

Rosa
Unread 10-16-2001, 07:13 AM
TAH Incision size?

Dear Shuni:

I had a SAH (supra-cervical) hyst. on 3 Oct. My incision is 7 inches-bikini line incision. I believe it depends on what exactly the doctor is going to be doing during your surgery. Mine was for fibroids-one of which was the size of a football (yikes!).

So glad you found this website. It is truly a godsend and you will learn so much here. I felt SO prepared when I went for my surgery-all thanks to what I had read and learned here!

Betty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2001, 08:21 AM
TAH Incision size?

Hi Shuni, and welcome!

As Rosa said, the incisions vary from woman to woman. Mine was a vertical, from belly button down to hair line, because of the rather "impressive" (doctor's word!) size of my fibroid! Guess we just grow 'em big in Texas!

Keep reading, and keep those questions comin'! We'll all do our best to help you get through this.
Unread 10-16-2001, 08:31 AM
TAH Incision size?

Welcome Shuni!

I was told by my doctor that my cut would be about 6 inches long (bikini cut) so imagine my surprise when my husband said it was over 8 inches. According to my doctor he had to do alot of work on the left side and needed more room!! But the incision looks great Dr. did a wonderful job!! Good luck to you!

Brenda
Unread 10-16-2001, 08:42 AM
tah incision

Hello Shuni

Just like you I was concerned with the incision site. I told my to aim low!

I had a tah/bso and my incision is about 6-7 inches long horizontally. I had clips instead of staples which were removed before I left the hospital and replaced with steri-strips. I am very pleased with the scar. After just two weeks, it looks very good and visibly vague in some areas. I was so nervous that the md marked the spot with an X at my pre-op visit. He kept his word and all is ok with me!!!

Take care and
Annette

Unread 10-16-2001, 10:18 AM
TAH Incision size?

Thanks ladies, for all the great info!

My Dr. took pictures during my last procedure. She said there is "a mass of fibroid tissue" in my uterus. This leads me to believe they weren't able to determine exactly how many are in there. She told me the incision would be horizontal, but she wouldn't know how long it would be until she got in there. So I thought I'd ask all of you knowldgeable ladies what your experiences had been.

Thanks again for your responses!
Unread 10-16-2001, 10:20 AM
TAH Incision size?

Dear Shuni:

I am scheduled for a TAH/BSO on 10/23 and have been told to expect a vertical incision about 4 - 6" above belly button down to hair line. I know this sounds excessive. The reason for this is my bowels are adhered to abdominal wall due to scar tissue/endo. and in order to make a safe incision and de-here the bowels, this is necessary.

Since I am already sporting a similar scar (only 3" above belly button), this is no big deal.

I truly am praying for you that your's will be low, small, and fast healing!

Many hugs and prayers!!!
Unread 10-16-2001, 01:26 PM
TAH Incision size?

I was talking with a friend about incision length last night. I told her when I asked the doctor how long the incision would be, I swear it looked like she held her two hands up about 16 inches apart. Sort of like one of those fish stories. In reality, she said about 6-8".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register