Epideral block? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Epideral block? Epideral block?

Unread 03-08-2002, 06:10 AM
Epideral block?

Hi Pre-op is done and I like the surgeon which is good. He mentioned I would have an epideral block, I have only had general anes. so this is an unknown for me. He also talked about a T shaped rubber plug that would be in me for the first few days to guard against infection, another unknown! But no anema . All is go for next thursday 7:30 am so thanks for all your help. shell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-08-2002, 06:25 AM
Epideral block?

I loved my epidural. I had a spinal/epidural combination and the epidural was allowed to stay in place for post-op pain relief since I requested it. My other choice would have been a morophine pump for post op pain relief and I didn't like that idea. To many side effects of grogginess, possible vommiting, and possibly not getting enough pain relief. I had no pain and was not groggy. I was awake for my surgery. I did not see anything because a sheet was in front of my face. I could talk to the nurse and anethesiologist if I wanted or needed anything. I had general in the past and really didn't like it at all and was so sick for three days following. I didn't want to risk post-op after all the cutting, stitching, and sore belly. You can read about my story at the link below. Remember to follow the advice of your orders about diet. Mine were nothing to eat or drink after midnight before surgery even if you aren't getting general. One lady on here ate a bannana the morning of her surgery and it was cancelled. She didn't think to follow the diet orders because of the epidural. Good luck. I don't know anything about a T-shaped rubber plug. Does that have anything to do with the epidural? I was given antibiotics through the I.V. to prevent infection.

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...threadid=41676
Unread 03-09-2002, 02:50 AM
Epideral block?

I too had epidural for post op pain relief. For the surgery I had a general anesthetic, so knew nothing until I woke up in recovery. The epidural stayed in for 2 days post op. It was just the best. If I ever have surgery again (and I hope not to) I will definitely be requesting an epidural for pain relief again.

The best part for me was also no throwing up after surgery. I came close, but the nurses had taught me how to breath to let the feeling pass. I did the breathing every time I felt nausea, and it worked.

Regards and best wishes for your surgery.

Gail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-09-2002, 10:52 PM
brave

hi Shell2002

Can't believe CM3. Lady you are brave! I couldn't hang with being awake during surgery. It freaks me out to think about it!!!

And Buckkie, do you think you can teach us the breathing technique? Or do we have to be sick first...?

I always thought we'd have a choice... Shell did you have a choice or did your doctor just tell you what he is going to do? I don't know anything about the plug except for what the girls have said in their threads...they are glad when it is removed but it helps with lack of infection. Best of luck, and let us know how you are when you come home.
Maralyn
Unread 03-09-2002, 11:03 PM
Breathing

Maralyn

The nurses taught me that at the first sign of nausea to take a big breath in through the nose and exhale really slow and long through the mouth.

At the very first notion that I even thought nausea was coming on, I did this and kept doing it until the feeling passed. It worked for me. Hopefully this bit of information will work for the ladies in waiting as well. It was just the best advice I got from the nurses, other than to walk, walk, walk to help pass gas. That also worked.

Regards and best wishes.

Gail
Unread 03-10-2002, 03:28 AM
Epideral block?

Shell - I haven't had my pre-op yet...that's tomorrow afternoon. But my surgery is for 7:30 Thursday morning as well. TVH - for fibroids and heavy bleeding. I am concerned about the epidural. I have never had general - but I had epidurals with both my children, many moons ago, when they were both delivered with forceps. My questions to the doctor at my appointment tomorrow will be, what are the recovery differences and that I am VERY concerned about lying there for 3 hours listening to them talk and operate. That part kinda freaks me out.... If the recovery time is significant I'll still go with the epidural as he has said, but I do have ?'s about my awareness during that's for sure!
Unread 03-10-2002, 07:36 AM
Epideral block?

If you don't want to be awake just tell the anesthesiologist. They can sedate (not the same as general) you with an epidural. With sedation you avoid getting the tube in your throat as general is so strong that it stops your breathing to require you have a respirator breating for you during surgery. Sometimes you wake up with a sore throat after general because of the tube that was in there. Sedation is a lot easier and they can give you meds for nausea. Zofran was what I was given and it worked so well. Ask the anesthesiologist if you can have some before surgery to prevent nausea. Sometimes after the surgery it's to late for meds and people can wake up throwing up so definitely ask about an anti-nausea med be given to you.
Unread 03-10-2002, 08:28 AM
Epideral block?

Don't know anything about a rubber plug - is this being done vaginally? Maybe that's what thay use. They did put antibiotics in the iv that was in my arm before surgery.

I had a spinal with sedation, and wouldn't want to go any other way. See my story (click the link below my name) for more about it!

Good luck - soon it will all be over, and you'll be on the road to recovery!!
Unread 03-10-2002, 11:10 AM
debating

My doc plans to use general, no epidural, no PCA morphine pump for my LAVH. She says in her experience, patients normally don't need that level of pain control for this procedure.

I have my pre-op appointment tomorrow and am debating whether to ask her about epidural + sedation instead of general. I did really well with twilight sleep meds for my colonoscopy last summer. But I also want her to do what she feels best about, so she can do her best work!

Also, she might find more going on inside that would necessitate a more complicated (and longer) surgery. If so -- would it be better for me to just be knocked out, or to have the epidural for pain control? Does anyone know if longer procedures are OK for epidural + sedation?

Any thoughts?

Melissa
Unread 03-10-2002, 06:09 PM
Epideral block?

To my knowledge if you are having a laporoscopic procedure an epidural for anesthesia without general is not an option because the gas can rise to high and the epidural won't cover that area. I found this link awhile ago and not sure how common this procedure is so you may want to check it out. http://www.csen.com/anesthesia/laparoscopy.htm
I did see a response at the link below for someone that did have an epidural with a lap procedure. I know I've heard of others that had BOTH general and had an epidural that stayed in for post op pain 24 hrs. so that may be an option for you.

Read LaLuna's response saying that she had an epidural for a laporoscopy.
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ght=anesthesia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register