Facial aging. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Facial aging. Facial aging.

Unread 05-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Facial aging.

Is anyone else noticing rapid aging in your face? I had my hysterectomy 08/10 so it hasn't been even a year. I have noticed my face sagging and aging in rapid speed. I look at least 5 years older than I did pre- hysterectomy.
We recently moved and my new neighbor made a comment that really hit me. (I am a 2 years younger than my husband, but looked at least 7 years younger) we were talking about having young children at "our age" I am 46 with my youngest is turning 5 in June.
Anyway, my neighbor said to me "thats what happens when you marry a younger guy"...OMG! It felt like she slapped me in the face. ouch.
I am on 1 mg of Vivelle dot and 2% testosterone cream twice a week. Do you think I need progesterone? Will that help with my facial "looseness" do you think if I apply the testosterone cream to my face that might help? I have really gotten a complex over this, to the point I hate being around too many people. Its been a nightmare bringing my daughter to preschool, I want to introduce myself as her grandma.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Re: Facial aging.

hiya,
i've noticed that since my op in january my pores are more noticable and my skin is a bit leathery, tryin not to worry too much. i'm 45.
Unread 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM

I haven't found that at all. I am 52, soon to be 53 and my skin is better than ever. However, I don't think it has anything to do with the hyster, I think it has to do with the products that I am using right now. I finally found a combo that works in keeping my skin fairly clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2011, 08:21 PM

What I found was that when I got to a certain age my skin got drier, less tone, less rosy. I suppose it was age + perimenopause and beyond. Instead of looking younger than my age, I look my age if not older at times. And that was pre hyst! Post op I don't think I look worse but I do figure I'm going to not look any younger. I wouldn't put testosterone on your face, I believe that could cause problems with potential hair there. I found that a change in hairstyle and some good skin products help. I wouldn't try to rely on hormones for anti aging, although I realize there are books on just that. It's been an adjustment but truly I can't expect to never age. Get some good anti aging skin care, it helps and helps morale too for me.
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:21 PM

@Danni, What are you using on your face?
Unread 05-11-2011, 09:31 PM

I think that it may just be "mother nature."
When I turned about 45, I started to look older.
My hair turned a little grey, I started getting larger pores, age spots, and wrinkles.
Time to see the dermatologist. Maybe he or she will have some recommendations for you.

Having a baby at 41 is a bit older. I had my first child at 28, and people thought that I was on the "mature" side.

My friend adopted a beautiful girl who is now about 8 or 9, and she is 55.
She said that all the parents in her class were younger than she and her DH was.

Being an older parent is nothing to be ashamed of.
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:50 PM

sechadyl - I am in Canada and using Shopper's Drug Mart's new line Etival for the most part. I have the dreaded combo type of skin with the oily T zone and normal to dry cheeks. I am using the Etival Clarifying line for cleansing (Foaming wash and toner) and the daytime moisturizer from the Etival Rederm. After the toner and before the moisturizer, I use Neutrogena Acne Stress Control on my T zone. It has salicylic acid in it that clears the pores from the inside out. I wish I had found that years ago as it has made a huge difference in unplugging my pores. The whole combo makes my pores a lot smaller and my skin looks so much better. I might try the Etival Ener-C moisturizer but I am really happy with the wash, toner and the stress control. By the way, the Rederm night cream makes me break out so it is too rich for my skin or at least something in it doesn't agree with me.

Hope this helps.
Unread 05-13-2011, 04:28 AM

I am 46 years old and felt noticeably older after my surgery. Perhaps, it was because I had the time to look in a mirror for long periods and was quite self critical. I even considered going to the dermatologist for some fillers or to the plastic surgeon for a face lift. However, I realized before my surgery I was very stressed out and was also taking Zoladex (to shrink fibroids) which had taken a toll on my skin. Before spending money on fillers, I got back on a regimen of hydrating my skin by drinking more water, cleaning, toning and moisturizing my skin. I invested in new anti-aging products and made sure that I was taking my vitamins daily. I decided if my skin did not improve to my satisfaction, then I would proceed to fillers, face lift, et al. I also made sure to use my recovery time to get some well needed sleep/rest that I wasn't getting prior to surgery. The results have been great! I see the difference in my skin and recieved positive compliments. Don't be so hard on yourself. Perhaps a dermatologist could advise you on a skin care regimen that is right for you. Also, don't hesitate to pamper yourself by getting a facial. Don't let someone's comment get to you. You are still young. Just take care of yourself.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register