New & scared | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-21-2004, 10:23 AM
New & scared

Hello, I wanted to introduce myself. My Name is Susan. I'm 38 and i'm scheduled for surgery 3/3/04. I am not sure yet which type of procedure i am having. My Dr. said she won't know for sure until she gets in there to see how bad it is. Shes is going to go through my belly button 1st but she said if the scar tissue is to bad she will have to cut me. I wish i knew for sure, it would help to know how long i will be in the hospital. I have a business that i work for out of my home. I am on the phone all day. Does anyone know from experience if i should get someone to cover me or should i be able to work as soon as i get home? Does anyone live in a two-story home? How long will it be until i can climb the stairs? I live in a house full of males, i am the only female. I really need to talk about all this but i feel the guys just wont understand all my fears. I just found out i needed a hyster 3 weeks ago, this is all happening so fast. I have adenomyosis and fibroids, enlarged 12 week size uterus. I have had pain 3 weeks out of the month for a couple of years but had no insurance to go to the Dr. As soon as i got Ins. I went right away. I have chosen no to try all the "alternative to Hyster" because i am afraid we won't have ins. for long. I am all for no more cycles but am terrified about the change. To be pain free sounds so wonderfull but i can't help but feel i am trading one set of problems for another. Do you need to have hormone replacement for the rest of your life? what is the price range of the meds? is it affordable without insurance? I have so many questions but the truth is, I am really scared. Thanks, God bless to all. Susan*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2004, 10:30 AM
New & scared

Hi Susan. I'm 46 and I had a total hys. ovaries, cervix, everthing out 3wks. ago and I'm going great. I'm not taking any hrts and the doctor seems to think I may do fine without them. I'm in the same boat of no insurance but the hospital and doctors have great to work with that issue. God bess.
Unread 02-21-2004, 11:43 AM
New & scared

I just turned 40 a few months ago and had surgery 4 weeks ago. I do have insurance, but your questions about stairs, my dr told me to only go up and down a couple of times a day, and take it slow. I had no problems with that. You may not feel like doing much the first week or 2 but after that, if you stay home and can rest when needed and just take phone calls and use computer, I would think you will be ok.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2004, 01:37 PM
New & scared

In my opinion, you may to get someone to cover for you. You have no way of knowing how much pain you may have. Personally I wouldn't want to be taking paid meds and taking business calls. You want to be clear minded during those calls or you could cost yourself business customers.

I live in a two-story, the first week I slept on the couch on the first floor. Made a daily trip upstairs to shower, clean clothes and take another change of jammies to the downstairs bathroom. Just had to take slow and use the handrail. Coming back down was more difficult, you can walk down them backwards and it's lessing pulling on the ab muscles. Just be careful.

The hormone issue is a personal choice, you'll need to discuss with your doctor. I'll be 4 week post-op on Monday and not taking hormones. Going to try to go without HRT at least six months in hopes to shrink any endo that didn't get destroyed during LAVH. Maybe it was too small or just hiding real well. So far only issues is night sweats a few nights, but I can deal with that.

Good luck.
Unread 02-21-2004, 03:22 PM
New & scared

Susan,
It was good to read your email. I am 42 and just found out today I will need surgery mid March. I too live in a two story house and wonder about the recovery. It helped to read the comments from those who have recently gone through the experience. I too have been told the doctor hopes to achieve the desired results via an aspirator and a laparoscipical assisted hysterectomy. I may also end up being opened up once the procedure starts.
It's good to know we're not alone and that there are so many others who have gone through similar circumstances. Hang in there and I wish you the best of luck as you and I head down a similar path. Take care!
Unread 02-21-2004, 04:18 PM
New & scared

I am very nervous as i bet you are. This support page is wonderful. It makes me feel better to have someone to share it with but it saddens me that there are so many of us going through it. any ideas on how to consentrate on anything else while we wait? I hope waiting will be the hardest part...Can we get so lucky? My prayers are with you. Thank you for taking the time to respond and hang in there.
Unread 02-21-2004, 04:35 PM
New & scared

Hi Susan,
I am 36 and had a TVH on Feb. 10. I have a 2 story home and I didn't venture up the stairs for the first 2 days. I went up slowely at first with DH behind me, and made them easily. About work, I can tell you that sitting upright in a chair for a long period is very uncomfortable. The recliner is my new best friend. Good luck with your surgery. I know the waiting is tough, but it will be overwith before you know it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register