How long does the smelly discharge last? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long does the smelly discharge last? How long does the smelly discharge last?

Unread 02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
How long does the smelly discharge last?

I will be 3 weeks status pot TVH, BSO, AP repair and bladder lift tomorrow. I stopped using any type of mini-pad yesterday because the pad was bugging me more than the very slight discharge I've been having. What I'm wondering is how long does the smell take to go away? I feel like I stink!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Re: How long does the smelly discharge last?

I am 7 weeks and mine is just letting up, but still present! thank goodness the horrible odor went away about 10 days ago, I can relate to what you are saying. Most seem to have lost the discharge at 4-6 weeks....might know I would have to be the odd duck and keep it around a while longer. Best of luck to you and may you heal quickly!!!
Unread 02-02-2010, 04:42 PM

Oh my gosh - I can totally relate. I am so self-conscious about how bad I smell that I am changing my pad constantly. I was using wipes and those seemed to aggrivate the situation. Now I am pouring water over myself each time I use the bathroom and that is helping with the odor and I feel more comfortable too. I am 3 weeks past surgery - and I understand that the smell is coming from healing tissue and also from dissolving stitches - that I may pass. Has anyone had the stitches pass? This is one complication that I never dreamed I'd be dealing with. Glad to hear that it will eventually go away!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2010, 05:17 PM

I am about 2 wks past my surgery. I totally get what you are saying. I hope it doesn't last much longer.
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM

Yes, I am almost 7 weeks postop & have been losing pieces of stitches for about 2 weeks...kind of look like small hairs on your panti liner or in the toilet. I still have a strong pulling feeling just above my belly button & am wondering if there is still an area there that the stitches have not dissolved from yet, my stomach is still so tender that I think I would kill somebody if they applied any pressure to it or bumped it....YIKES!!
Unread 02-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Did you have ovaries, tubes, uterus and cervix taken out? I did and I imagine I have a ton of internal stitches inside my stomach. I imagine you do too. I have a hard time standing up straight sometimes because I have that pulling feeling as well. My husband just took me for a drive - trying to be nice and get me out of the house - but I felt every tiny bump on the road and it ended up being pretty miserable. Did you have the bad odor as well and if so, when did it go away?
Unread 02-02-2010, 06:33 PM

Oh my gosh, you sound just like me...those bumps are awful!!!! I have gotten better at standing up straight for the first half of the day but slouching a little after being up and around for a few hours. I still have trouble getting totally comfortable when trying to sleep & just starting to lay on my side just for a short time. And as for the discharge with the odor.... YUCK!!! Tthe discharge is still there but a lot lighter and the awful smell has just started going away the last couple of days. Oh and yes I had a radical hysterectomy, everything is gone and gave me a horizontal incision about 8 inches across my bikini line. Sure hope you have a speedy recovery
Unread 02-03-2010, 07:15 AM

I am 5 weeks post op and still have the discharge. I had developed a bladder infection at around 10 days post op, and was thinking the antibiotics might have given me a UTI because the discharge has picked up abit in the last week.

I go back to the doc tomorrow, so I am anxious to see if this is still "normal". She saw me before I left on a week long vacation (around 3 1/2 weeks) and said I was still draining and still had a stitch or two to lose. I have yet to "see" any stitches come out. TVH on Dec. 28.

Glad I am not alone!
Unread 02-03-2010, 08:05 AM

It is always a good idea to check with your doctor about the odor. I was experiencing the same thing (so embarrassing to feel like you stink). I saw the doc last Wednesday and asked. Turned out I had bacterial vaginosis which is apparently very common after surgery because of the constant changes. I did 5 nights of metrogel and thr nasty ell,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register