How many smoked up to your surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many smoked up to your surgery? How many smoked up to your surgery?

Unread 01-24-2011, 06:38 AM
How many smoked up to your surgery?

They want me to be smoke free 24 hrs before surgery on wed. So yesterday I bought a box of patches so my dh and I to start this morning. It didn't happen we had one pack left and dh says I'll smoke this pack then quit. What about me I wanted him to support me with this and do it together. Needless to say I smoked and buying a pack on the way to work. I'm upset with him. So how many still smoked up to their surgery? I will try to cut down but I'm at my wits end an can't quit yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2011, 08:09 AM
Re: How many smoked up to your surgery?

I can't answer the original question, but as a former smoker, I can tell you that you picked a bad time to try to quit lol. It is harder to quit when you are under a lot of stress. One tip I can give for quitting is to find a hobby that you enjoy, and every time you get a craving, work on the hobby. It helps to "reprogram" you. The first week was the worst for me. Also, it is much, much harder if your SO is still smoking.
Unread 01-24-2011, 08:58 AM

I smoked until midnight before my surgery. You just have to have the willpower to be able to not smoke in the am before surgery,I just knew i would need them more now than ever. They did have me do a breathing treatment before surgery. I did not even crave one while i was there but i had one as soon as i could though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-25-2011, 01:04 AM

I was told no cigarettes after midnight before my surgery......I smoked 3 or 4 before I went to the hosp. Didn't understand why they told me I couldn't smoke?
Unread 01-25-2011, 05:17 AM

I wasn't told not to smoke. So I'm smoking until I leave here today for my surgery.
Unread 01-25-2011, 06:16 AM

I was if I smoked and I don't but I think the reason they don't want you too is cause of the breathing tube and lungs. They need to keep you stable during surgery and it may affect things for you in recovery longer. I don't smoke and I was in recovery longer due to slow heartrate. Mind you the lady next to me was a smoker and was having her first cig the evening of surgery her family took her outside in wheelchair
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:11 AM

Maybe just concenrate on that 24 hrs only, and reassess after that? Trying to stop completely right now may not be realistic. Just go for that one day and leave it at that just now. Good luck.
Unread 01-25-2011, 07:49 AM

I went to my pre-op yesterday, she didn't tell me not to smoke, so I am smoking until I get to the hospital. My DH won't be too happy with me, but he is a former smoker and we all know they are the worst! LOL
Unread 01-25-2011, 08:11 AM

I am 8 weeks post-Op and sad to say I smoked the morning of my surgery good luck to you!
Unread 01-25-2011, 11:20 AM

I'd given up for ages and ages.... and then my hysterectomy happened and at 8 weeks post-op, started again!! It was either that or a nervous breakdown ;-)

I know I can't help you with your question but I can definitely confirm what the others have said - this is NO time to quit! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register