Polycystic Ovarian Disease, should I ask to not keep my ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Polycystic Ovarian Disease, should I ask to not keep my ovaries? Polycystic Ovarian Disease, should I ask to not keep my ovaries?

Unread 03-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Polycystic Ovarian Disease, should I ask to not keep my ovaries?

Hello sisters.. I have polycystic ovarian disease.. I have some unwanted facial hair, and very oily skin, have gained about 45 - 50 pounds in 5 years, the whole 9 yards.. I am having a TAH on April 16/08, and my doctor said that I will be keeping my ovaries. I am 30 years old and I know that having my ovaries removed will catapolt me into menopause, but should I ask to have them removed rather than probably have to face another operation some time down the road??? Any insight would be really appreciated sisters...

Thanks..
your sister
trufrend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2008, 08:18 PM

I also have PCOS and I am 35. I have my LAVH this coming Monday.... Hopefully, got the call for preop evaluation today. I'm keeping my ovaries because I don't want to go into menopause and possibly send my hormones over the edge, and turn me into a hairy ape, especially since I've had problems with taking estrogen BCPs in the past. Dr agrees with me, and she said if they give me to much grief in the future, they can be removed laparoscopically.

I know each woman is different. I don't get the numerous cysts, just 1 or 2 at a time. And the only problems I have with them is when they pop. I can handle the little pain I get. It's this stupid fibroid that is kicking my butt.
Unread 03-20-2008, 01:07 AM

I had a TAH BSO keeping the better looking ovary, I will deal with that when it arises. It seems to be an easier procedure for later. But if I knew something was amiss.............. I would get it all out @ once. It is a hard recovery from TAH. I would personally avoid the symptoms you are having due to a disease. And those cysts bursting took me to the ER almost everytime!! Have you had the vaginal sonogram? It was like a crystal ball, but not crystal enuf for me............ Take care, Dawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2008, 08:32 AM

I had one ovary removed last year due to a complex cyst. This year I had the other ovary along with my uterus removed. I am 42 and have PCOS. I stuggled with the decision of keeping my remaining ovary. But when I talked to my dr. she told me that we can always remove when it gives you problems. That is when I decided to removed it. I am not going thru another surgery. And I KNEW that the ovary would give me problems. So, here I am 6 weeks post op and I have feel great. No more fibroids and cystic ovaries- yeehah!
Unread 03-22-2008, 10:54 AM

Thank you sisters... I guess I have a decision to make.. I dont know if my dr will remove my ovaries, he doesnt want me to go into menopause, but I dont want to go in for another surgery!!!!!!!! I am just scared of everything that may come with going into menopause.. (if any hormoanl problems arise) I will think about it and research it before I say anything to my dr... Thanks and big hugs and many blessings to all my sisters...

Your sister
trufrend
Unread 03-22-2008, 11:00 AM

I had mine out with the hyst. Taking out the ovaries will not affect PCOS. It's a disease of the endocrine system and polycystic ovaries is only a symptom. I had frequent pelvic pain from the enlarging cysts and am glad I won't have to endure it. I've already had multiple surgeries in my pelvis and I wanted this to be the last! I am taking Estrogen and am feeling better. Best wishes with your decision.
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:51 PM

I too have PCOS and will be having my right ovary removed with my TAH on March 25th (the left ovary was removed in 2005 b/c it had a fist sized blood clot on/in it). I just had my pre-op appt on the 21st with my Dr. and I told him to take my rt ovary when he goes in b/c it's what is causing most of my problems and I really, really don't want to have another surgery down the road. Personally, I am not worried about going into menopause b/c I already have most of the symptoms anyway so it's something that I'm already used to.

Good luck to you!
Unread 03-24-2008, 02:58 PM

I would like to suggest that you see an Endocrinologist BEFORE your surgery, if possible.

Keeping your ovaries means that you will likely have to use some form of BC pill to keep your ovaries under control. Having them removed means that you will need some form of HRT to keep the hormones balanced.

Each of us is different, and age plays a factor too. An Endocrinologist would be able to tell you what is best for you and which treatment options you will have with each decision.

I'm 52, had both ovaries removed, and am on estrogen and spironolactone and metformin.

s and Best Wishes,
Kay

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register