Fluid leakage from vagina? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Fluid leakage from vagina? Fluid leakage from vagina?

Unread 05-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Fluid leakage from vagina?

I am 2 weeks post op & have had a few ups & downs but there is till one thing that I can't seem to get a good answer to.

I have been leaking what the doctor told me was peritoneal fluid from my vagina. It is clear & odorless & perfectly "normal" but, it comes out in copius amounts at times, not a nice, low steady leak. Sometimes when I shift positions while sitting or standing I can feel it gushing out, literally gushing. It will continue to gush even while I am sleeping.

It is so much fluid that I have been wearing Depends undergarments at all times for the last 5 days. It is too much fluid for even an overnight maxi-pad, that is what I first started out wearing but it wasn't enough leak protection.

The doctor said that it would eventually stop, but what I want to know is WHEN? I am over waking up drenched & everytime that I have to pee I am having to change the Depends because it is super full!

My bladder was checked to be sure that it was not leaking in anyway & it is not. Everything there is fine.

Anyone else experience anything similar to this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2008, 10:44 PM

T-Bird I wish I had answers for you. What a terrible thing to deal with. So many things it could be, after my TVH, he cleaned the insides with a flush of some type of fluid. I have some drainage still after 6 wks, but no where close to what you are describing.
Does your Dr understand the amount of fluid that you are losing?
Sorry I can't be of more help, but I truly feel for you. Hopefully someone will respond with something to put your mind at ease.
Unread 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Hi Tallulahbird
Bless your heart, this sounds like a miserable thing to live with. I'm also curious about whether your dr is aware of the large amont of fluid you're passing? I don't think I've heard of discharge that required a Depends that wasn't urine or a draining hematoma or seroma.
If this is continuing I don't think you would be out of line calling and asking more questions. I think there should be some kind of explanation.

How long has this been happening and do you see any improvement? Maybe someone else will see your post and have some experience to share. Please keep us updated on your progress and anything you learn about what is happening. I hope this is better soon.
's, Rita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2008, 05:02 PM

Tallulahbird, oh dear, this sounds awful for you, I hope it lightens up soon. I agree with the previous posts, you need to tell your doctor just how much fluid you are losing. I had my LSH and BSO one week ago, and I have noticed quite a bit of liquid discharge as well. Mine is more like having a watery period with a little blood in it, and I too notice it gushing a bit when I change positions or stand up. Not near the amount you are leaking though, that just doesn't seem right. Please call your doc again, you need to get this figured out so you can heal! Good luck, and take care!
Unread 05-25-2008, 08:25 PM

Well, I talked to the doctor today because I am so frustrated. I am still in a fair amount of pain abdomenally. I realize tht surgery #2 last week set me back some, but I am so ready to start feeling a little normal again.

I told the doctor that it felt like a twisting feeling inside, like a corkscrew. He told me that I shouldn't really worry about it. Take tylenol, use the heating pad & basically suck it up as long as my bowels & bladder were working right.

I also told him that I was still draining a ton of fluid & that it is so much that I am still wearing a Depends 24 hours a day & that I am now on day 10 of that. He told me again that it was perfectly normal & it would continue intil my vaginal cuff stitches scarred over. UGH...so frustrating!
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:18 PM

What you're describing sounds like the fluid I had leaking from me after my drainage tubes were removed. But when the tissue healed over (in a couple of days) it stopped.

This does not sound normal to me. If this continues, please *see* the doctor. If you don't have any luck, see your regular family doctor. This just seems out of the ordinary, being that it is just clear, odorless fluid.

Please keep us updated.
Unread 05-25-2008, 09:35 PM

Thanks mjd:

It doesn't sound or feel normal to me at all! This doctor that I called was part of the group that saw me post hysterectomy while I was recovering in Virginia Beach & ended up in an unfamilar hospital for a week. I had a second surgery to drain a hematoma by one of his partners & was visited most often in the hospital by a 3rd partner. So...this guy that I spoke to today was the one that knew me the least, he popped by on my first day in the hospital & I never saw him again.

I am going to call this practice on Tuesday to request a follow up appointment to be seen in person. I will be heading back to Northern Virginia at the end of next week & have my 4 week follow up with my regular GYN & surgeon on June 5th. So I am out for more answers & won't stop untilI am 100% satisfied!
Unread 05-25-2008, 11:17 PM

I have the same problem but not by the bucketful. Its kind of sticky and has an odor, not disgusting but not roses. I am really sick of it and have had it four weeks now. I had a Cat Scan last week (thought I ripped stitches, pain was just from overdoing though) and the doc says I have "large amounts of fluid in your cervix, which is normal" But he didn't know when it would go away. Note to my cervix: it'd BETTER be by the time I am released for sex!
Unread 06-03-2008, 09:54 PM

I just wanted to give an update on what is going on down there in the event that someone is suffereing from the same thing that I am.

I saw my surgeon/GYN yesterday & am finally getting some answers. Which is both positive & negative. My doctor was shocked at the amount of fluid that I was passing vaginally & was disturbed by the fact that the doctors that I saw in Va Beach so nonchalantly waved it off as being "normal."

I don't believe that anyone realized just how much volume I was passing even though I voiced my concern about it over & over! as soon as my doctor inserted the speculum there was that "gush" that I had been talking about for the last 3 weeks!! He reacted by saying "Oh my God!" out loud.

He immediately got a sample to send out for testing & scheduled me for a CT urogram. He explained that i could have a 'ureteovaginal fistula' which could have been the result of injury to one of the tubes leading from one of the kidneys that has caused it to fuse with the vaginal cuff & leak through the vagina. He isn't 100% sure that this is the case, but at least we are moving in the right direction at trying to figure out what is going on!

I am frustrated that the doctors in Va Beach weren't more aggressive in trying to figure out the cause. I feel like I was not a priority to them since I was the out of towner & not one of their patients. It has been 2 weeks since I was released from that Va Beach hospital, the doctor that let me go promised to send my records to my personal GYN here at home as of my appointemnt yesterday NO records have been transferred! I've called them & so has my office. What is going on?!

I have learned to listen to your body & if it is telling you that something is wrong don't ignore it! Don't feel bad about getting to the root of the problem with your doctor! I am going to hound those docs in VB until I get my records & be on top of my doc until this issue has been resolved! I am no longer going to feel bad about it & worry that I am "bothering" them while I am in search of my answers!

Let those voices be heard ladies!
Unread 06-03-2008, 10:06 PM

(((Tallulabird)))
I'm so glad to hear there is a dr looking at this seriously for you. I didn't feel it could possibly be normal. I hope this dr will be able to figure it all out and help you with this in short order. Keep us posted on your progress and take good care of yourself.
's, Rita

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register