Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: Do we need to have someone with us at home? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: Do we need to have someone with us at home? Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: Do we need to have someone with us at home?

Unread 12-16-2015, 03:17 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: Do we need to have someone with us at home?

Hi, I am having my surgery on the 21st and my Dr said he hoped I would get home on the 23rd or 24th. We have just found out my husband has to work on 25th, which will be the first time we won't spend Chrissie day together in 35 yrs. that in itself makes me sad. But my question is is it safe for me to be on my own? I have grown up children and Grandchildren that will start the day with me and then end the day with me, but had planned to go to their inlaws, from about 10 until 3 as they had presumed their Dad would be home to look after me. My plan is to tell a little fib and make then think he is only working until mid morning ( he is starting at 3am and will finish about 6pm) as I don't want them to feel they have to change their plans for me ( which they would). At the same time though I don't want to be foolish if I really need someone to be there so soon after leaving hospital.
Trying very hard at the moment to not make him feel guilty for not asking for the day off. He is a part time casual employee and has only worked for them for two years and it's just his day to work this year. But i guess because of the added stress of the surgery I must admit feeling so sad and deep inside a little abandoned by him... Which is v unfair as I know how torn up he is about it but he is just such a wonderful man and didn't feel it was fair to ask anyone else to work for him on Chrissie day.
Sorry about the long post, just can't be honest with family or friends as they will tell him he should be with me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2015, 05:46 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: Do we need to have someone with us at home?

You should be fine on your own. I had my tah on Thursday, home on Friday. I was comfortably up and about, able to fend for myself as far as cooking, etc. My husband was there until Monday, but I would have been fine starting Saturday. You may find, as I did, that you won't want people hovering around, telling you what you should and shouldn't do. Best of luck!
Unread 12-16-2015, 06:27 AM

I had a TAH and was released the third day after surgery. I live alone with two cats. I had absolutely no trouble taking care of myself and the cats, and enjoyed being on my own with no one fussing.

Important: It is not your job to clean up the house after the kids and grandkids leave, make supper for your husband, etc. Your #1 job is to help your body heal. If you want to go for a short walk, do that. If you want to have a nap, do that. If you want to sit and read or sew or whatever you want to do, if you want to make yourself a cup of tea or a snack, whatever you want to do, do that. You and your recovery come first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2015, 08:13 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 12/21: Do we need to have someone with us at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshead View Post
Hi, I am having my surgery on the 21st and my Dr said he hoped I would get home on the 23rd or 24th. We have just found out my husband has to work on 25th, which will be the first time we won't spend Chrissie day together in 35 yrs. that in itself makes me sad. But my question is is it safe for me to be on my own? I have grown up children and Grandchildren that will start the day with me and then end the day with me, but had planned to go to their inlaws, from about 10 until 3 as they had presumed their Dad would be home to look after me. My plan is to tell a little fib and make then think he is only working until mid morning ( he is starting at 3am and will finish about 6pm) as I don't want them to feel they have to change their plans for me ( which they would). At the same time though I don't want to be foolish if I really need someone to be there so soon after leaving hospital.
Trying very hard at the moment to not make him feel guilty for not asking for the day off. He is a part time casual employee and has only worked for them for two years and it's just his day to work this year. But i guess because of the added stress of the surgery I must admit feeling so sad and deep inside a little abandoned by him... Which is v unfair as I know how torn up he is about it but he is just such a wonderful man and didn't feel it was fair to ask anyone else to work for him on Chrissie day.
Sorry about the long post, just can't be honest with family or friends as they will tell him he should be with me!
You should be ok 10-3 I found moving was sore in those first few days but I had a table near me with everything within arms reach - including my pills in piles ready. I was comfy on the sofa and didn't even need to sit up or stretch to reach. To be honest you may sleep that whole time anyway as sleeping and resting are so important - good luck and hope goes ok

X
Unread 12-16-2015, 11:51 AM

Thanks Coughy16,
I am very fortunate as this is my first surgery and first time other than having children that I have been in hospital so really have no idea what to expect.
Unread 12-16-2015, 11:56 AM

Thanks SurprisedInNB,
Your reply reminded me of a lovely lady I know who also lives alone with two cats.
I'm spending the next two or three days cooking meals ready to fill the freezer as I am the one that cooks in our house and I know my husband is very nervous as to his ability to cook me anything I will eat!
Unread 12-16-2015, 11:59 AM

Thanks PyjLady,

I did wonder if I would feel sleepy so that actually having time in between the Chrissie festivities would end up positive rather than a negative. I have always been so fortunate in my health that I just can't imagine not being able or wanting to do anything!
Unread 12-16-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshead View Post
Thanks SurprisedInNB,
Your reply reminded me of a lovely lady I know who also lives alone with two cats.
I'm spending the next two or three days cooking meals ready to fill the freezer as I am the one that cooks in our house and I know my husband is very nervous as to his ability to cook me anything I will eat!
You and your husband should be aware that after surgery, it's really common for your appetite to be wonky for the first week or three. Many of us find that regular-sized meals are too intimidating and that frequent healthy snacks work better. You may also find that certain foods are a lot more appealing than others. In my case, what my body wanted for the first week after was fruit, yogurt, peanut butter on whole grain toast and canned lentil soup.

The reason I mention this is that your husband should be aware that if he prepares something for you and you're unable to eat all/any of it, it's neither his fault nor yours. It's just how our bodies react to surgery. :-)
Unread 12-16-2015, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
You and your husband should be aware that after surgery, it's really common for your appetite to be wonky for the first week or three. Many of us find that regular-sized meals are too intimidating and that frequent healthy snacks work better. You may also find that certain foods are a lot more appealing than others. In my case, what my body wanted for the first week after was fruit, yogurt, peanut butter on whole grain toast and canned lentil soup.

The reason I mention this is that your husband should be aware that if he prepares something for you and you're unable to eat all/any of it, it's neither his fault nor yours. It's just how our bodies react to surgery. :-)
Thanks for the practical advice, he hasn't had much experience/opportunity so to make it easier I was basically going to list sort of Brecky, lunch and dinner and provide step by step instructions for each meal. I hadn't even considered that I might not fancy the normal things!
I'll make sure I have healthy snacking food ready too.
Thanks again
Unread 12-16-2015, 05:32 PM

Thanks for asking this question. I am having a TAH and will also be home alone (funny I also have two cats). It is good to know that it will probably work out OK.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register