question about passing urine | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about passing urine question about passing urine

Unread 03-06-2007, 04:42 PM
question about passing urine

I'm now 5 days post-op and just wondering if anyone else has had any unusual problems passing urine?

Mine doesn't seem to want to come out properly, it wants to trickle and after I go I still feel like I want to pass more. I've been drinking loads. I don't have a temp.

When I was in the hospital my cath would not work properly. I kept telling them I needed to "Pee" and they would check the bag and wiggle it around and a huge amount of urine wouild come out.

They said it was possitional. My doc said she had a hard time putting it in and getting it to work. At the end they found out if they put my bed up in the air gravity got it going. At one time they helped getting it going they emptied out 2000 mils.

I'm wondering if its due to being swollen in there or if I should call my doc in the morning as the pain in my tummy is on the right side and aslo going up my back too and feels tight and swollen in side.

I haven't had a bowel motion yet so not sure if its all part of the same package and I'm just needing to be patient.
What do you all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2007, 04:46 PM

Honey, everthing is swollen down there. Just make sure you are passing urine regularly and keep a check on fever and pain when peeing. Many of us have found squirting warm water down there when on the toilet helps.

I hope you feel better soon!

Sherri
Unread 03-06-2007, 05:15 PM

It takes awhile for everything to return to normal.
Difficulty with urination is a side effect of some pain meds - it is called urinary hesitation. I had a really hard time going the first few days and when I was deciding which pain med to go home with a nurse told me that some of them make this problem worse.

Regarding the bowels, I took a stool softener 3 x per day for the first 2 weeks and am now down to once per day. Hot coffee or tea always seems to help me in that area. Good luck and get lots of rest!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2007, 05:35 PM

The anesthesia slows down the body functions. And yes, we are swollen inside and out. So some women's bladders take longer to start functioning again. I had a foley catheter which they took out in the morning the next day after surgery. At first, I was able to urinate, but each time after, less and less came out and I continuously felt like I had to go but nothing came out and it became extremely painful. I finally told my doctor that they need to put the catheter back in to drain me. When they did, I filled TWO bags and the pain was relieved. They left the catheter in until the next day. When they took it out, it was better than the day before, but I still had some difficulty. But it is important to keep the urine flowing to prevent build up of bacteria that could lead to urinary tract, bladder, or kidney infection. Keep drinking the water. A glass of cranberry juice every day is helpful too.
Remember, time heals. But keep on top of the condition. Feel good.
Unread 03-06-2007, 08:53 PM

This needs to be brought to your Dr's attention. Regardless of why you're not emptying properly, urine retention can lead to other problems. Call your DR and explain your symptoms to him/her.

Feel better soon
Diana
Unread 03-06-2007, 08:56 PM

I agree with Diana. UTI's are so common after being catheterized.
Unread 03-06-2007, 10:04 PM

I just wanted to let you know I had the same problem. I would end up sitting in the bathroom for 40 minutes (even in the hospital) because I would go and still feel like I had to go and after a few minutes more urine would come out. I am now 4 weeks post op and don't have that problem anymore. It did last for the first 2 weeks. Also call your dr because mine checked twice to make sure it was not a UTI. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register