Getting older | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Over 50? - Thee and Me!

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting older Getting older

Unread 06-09-2006, 07:13 AM
Getting older

Hi:

I'm almost 50.5 & went through the surgery 3.5 weeks ago. I was not fully into menopause and am going without HRT so it's "fun." Actually - gas worse so far than the surgery. Is that one of the aging things?

By the way- I tell my friend's "The hair is silver, not grey!"

I'm just glad I only found out I had to have this surgery in February & now it's done plus that I am over 50 as I do feel sorry to see so many young women having to face this.

As per the aging- up til the surgery I still felt I could canoe, camp & hike - to some extent. Now I'm thinking maybe I'll be slowing down & not just due to the surgery!

Is "getting" older just a state of mind or is there more of these wonderful surgeries i.e. bladder, bowel, etc. in my future? I guess that is really what has hit me being on the older side & having this. I also couldn't imagine doing recovery withoug my husband's help & seeing as how we are the same age, I want to get him healthier too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-09-2006, 07:20 PM
Getting older

I am turning 50 in September. I was 44 when I had my hyst.

While there are health issues that prevent me from doing some things, I must admit that I am more active now than I was in my 30's: I bike to work at least 3 times a week and I go to Curves 2 to 5 times a week, depending on my schedule. While I dread it, I think I'm going to love getting 50: my kids are 10 and 15 and we have a whole lot more freedom thanks to this. Both DH and I have achieved comfort in our chosen carreers and can be proud of our achievements. We're also lucky enough to work in fields where there is always something to learn, something to strive for and some new, unforeseen challenges.

I think aging can be both a frame of mind and a physical thing. And, often, if you're in a good frame of mind you'll age a lot more gracefully.

And.... .... what's all this talk about grey hair? My locks a even more golden now than they were when I was younger
Unread 06-09-2006, 07:50 PM
Getting older

I will be 50 in September also. I was 47 when I had my surgery. I felt like I really did slow down in the last 3 years, but, with health issues out of the way and such, I am feeling better now than I have in a long time! I have begun an exercise program starting out real slow since I am so out of shape.

I think it takes our bodies longer to recover than they tell us it does. There are some things I am thinking of doing in my life now. In many ways, I am looking forward to what the next decade holds.

Grey hair? What grey or silver hair?

Jane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Getting older

I was 54 when I had my hyst four years ago. I'm not getting older, I'm ripening
I love to dance; take lessons in ballet, jazz, tap, & my personal favorite, clogging. I can outlast many of the kiddos at the workshops

I am slower moving first thing in the morning but coffee keeps me going

Now, I think I'll go wash the grey outta my hair.
Unread 06-10-2006, 10:12 AM
Getting older

Who`s "older" at 50? I had my hyster a few months before turning 50 (left ovaries in) I still haven't been through meno as far as I've noticed. At almost 4 months post op starting to feel my normal self again, went back to work at two months but wasn't feeling well and stayed home another 3 weeks. I don't feel older, just take better care of myself now. No skimping on sleep time. I personally think I'll start feeling old when I turn 85.
Remember, it's in your attitude. Wrinlkes and silver hair are just signs of life.
I love reading everybody's stories and advice - keep it up!
Unread 06-10-2006, 10:32 AM
Getting older

Thank you this site is for women to support one another. Everyone experience will be different. However, someone's story regardless of age, may lift another womans spirit. It is usually the older age group that women like myself look for support sometimes because the older women usually have already gone through what my age group eventually go through as well. I love this site and would not log in just because. It is very supporting here for me. It is becoming like a security to me also. Peace be with you all.
Thank you to all the wonderful women out there to share your stories for women of all ages that are going through the same thing. The support is so wonderful. Thanks to hystersisters also.
Unread 06-10-2006, 10:48 AM
Getting older

Leilei I totaly agree I'm 51 but before my surgery I was so nervous I felt like a child, it didn't matter to me who the reassurances were coming from it was just great they were there!!!
Unread 06-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Getting older

Turned 50 eight days before TAH/BSO. I am glad to have stumbled into HS and many of the sharing that goes on here have been helpful but, at the same time, it is also comforting to have someone within same age group to be sharing experiences with. There was one post which I found hilarious: "I am 25 and feel 50!" Well, I am 50 and feel 25! As one said: "Baby boomers rock"!!!
Unread 06-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by just turned 50
Well, I am 50 and feel 25! As one said: "Baby boomers rock"!!!
Unread 06-10-2006, 09:17 PM
Getting older

Just wanted to join in and say I am 53 and having TAH on June 29th. We are not getting old just getting BETTER! Our problems are the same yet different than the sisters here in their 20 's and 30's but we still all can support one another going through this strange time of hysters and other weird things in our lives. Although it does help to know I am not the only older person here! Good luck to all of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register