Why am I so attached to my uterus?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why am I so attached to my uterus?? Why am I so attached to my uterus??

Unread 10-16-2004, 09:24 PM
Why am I so attached to my uterus??

I can hardly believe it......

I have been depressed since yesterday when I finalized my surgery date (Nov. 10th, 10AM). I've been moping around the house like I don't know what!!! Near tears at everything someone says to me!

I'm exhausted to say the least. Not getting up off of the couch until 12:30 PM - 1:00 PM every day for the last week. I'm not even going out to ride and work my horses right now.

Is it normal to be so tired? I have very low iron but I can't help think that some of this is hormones??? It's like I'm feeling a loss!!! LOL...... it's stupid and crazy with all the problems I've had over the years you'd think I'm ready for this....

Doctor says he's taking it all and I'm taking it personal! lol... It's like "put up your dukes!" "going to the mattresses" kind of feeling.

Does/Did anyone else feel like this ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2004, 01:03 AM

Personally I can't wait for it all to end. But I have been keeping so busy that the time is flying by for me. My date is Nov. 8th. I work 5 days a week, have 5 daughters, and also have a girl scout troop I lead and another I co-lead. Also, my sister is planning her wedding for next year and I am going to an expo this week with her. Movie dates weekly with my brother. Halloween will be a busy time too. Have a GS camping trip. Only 8 more days of work until I take my vacation before my medical leave.

But I have been sick with a cough, aunt flo is visiting for her last time and I cry out of the blue. Nearly broke down at work today. I haven't had "me" time to be lazy, think about the whole picture, or even shop for some nice pjs. So the emotional roller coaster ride begins I suppose. I worry more about not having money or time to shop for x-mas too! Kinda just want to buy gift certificates now and creatively wrap them while I am at home during that time off.

We will both be good as new in the second week of November. And have our lives back!!! That's more important than the uterus if you ask me.
Unread 10-17-2004, 11:32 AM

GizmoGal

You are experiencing a loss whether you are looking forward to it or not. Anemia can cause you to be tired and add to these feelings. I am excited about my upcoming surgery but realize that I could experience some sense of loss as well. It is okay to have some of these feelings. You may wish to speak with your surgeon if they are bad enough and interferring with your normal life.

Bunny Nose

Wow! I get tired just reading your post. You deserve some time off. I too, have surgery scheduled for the 8th of November. Christmas shopping for me will be mostly through internet and catalogs. I've been getting ready for my surgery since September when I thought we had everything set up for the 6 of October until my GYN told me the OR was full for that day. That was my most difficult time.

I do have some other things to get ready (cleaning) but not sure I have enough time. What I get done is what I get done. Ready or not the 8th is it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-17-2004, 11:38 AM

Yes, I'm having the same feelings. I keep asking dh the same question. What is this odd relationship I suddenly feel toward my uterus. I never really gave much thought to it in a personal way...usually I'm feeling very negative about it, from all the pain it causes me. Weird, right? I guess we will feel a loss regardless of how positive the outcome might be. It has been with us for a long time. I'm even sentimental about my last (very painful) period! Unbelievable!
Unread 10-17-2004, 11:47 AM
A sense of loss soon to pass - I'm sure

Thank you for your responses.

Sometimes I just need someone to come along and kick me in the behind and say things like:

"Be happy that it will all be over soon!" Losing the symptoms over losing a uterus is definitely a plus! Bunny!!! Get some rest! Wow, I thought running my own business was hard enough!

After talking to friends at church this morning we all agreed that yes, I am experiencing a feeling of loss. My identification as a women. I am feeling better today now that I've talked to friends and prayer. I think it was just all setting in.

I am excited that it will all be over soon and that as the new horse show season starts I will be feeling better and not having to worry about making through a class without leaking problems and then running to the porta potties inbetween classes! I am excited. I have a new 2 y/o up and comming out of training for the new season and she is a doll. She's like one of my own daughters, lol. She's my motivation right now. Every time she looks at me she's telling me "common Mom, get better we've got some fun to be had this spring/summer". I will have to post pictures.

Anyway, Nightengale - thank you for your imput, your right. I will be praying that your surgery goes well this next month. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post gals. I truly appreciate it. DH was trying to help yesterday/last night and he was frustrated that he couldn't find the right things to say. He's great. He's been so encouraging through this whole ordeal the last 6 years and is really trying to be my rock.

Thank you again ladies - for listening to my whinning!! A little whine with that cheese???? lol
Unread 10-17-2004, 01:26 PM

Sounds like you were having a "down day". I'm glad to hear you are doing much better today! Hang in there. Here's hoping you have more "up days" than "down days".
Unread 10-17-2004, 02:50 PM

Once I finally made the appointment I felt very sad, too. I worried about being less than a "whole" woman. Or suddeny losing my youth.

My day is approaching quickly. I'm very surprised to find myself looking forward to it. I'm a little nervous, but not very much at all. I'm grateful that my problems will soon be over. Especially right at this moment while my uterus is misbehaving.

Don't worry about whining. You can do that here and nobody minds a bit! This is scary stuff, major surgery, life-changing even, so you are more then deserving of any and all the feelings you have about this.

Diane
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:29 AM

i dont have the answer to your question, but i do know that prior to being diagnosed, i would say things like i will be happy not to have a cycle again! i guess i meant not having it when mother nature decided it was time, not my doctor. i dont want to give up my uterus, even though my family is finished. i guess its just the idea of saying i cant have children, and saying i dont want to have any more children. as for being tired, thats me with a capital "T". b/t running around with my children and my fiance, i m drained. my doc didnt check my iron level, so i dont know for sure whats going on.
Unread 10-18-2004, 07:45 AM

I can totally relate to the feeling of loss. I am definitely ready to be done with the bleeding and pain but the thought of not being able to have more children (even though I know that I am done with that) is a little hard.

When I scheduled my surgery, the nurse told me that I would be in the mom/baby ward afterwards. I had scheduled on the day before Thanksgiving (actually my dh scheduled it that day so he could be there for the weekend). I got pretty upset that night and decided that I couldn't do it before a holiday and be in the mom/baby ward. I rescheduled it for Dec 1 then I talked to a friend about the area I would be in after the surgery was done. She said that I will be on the same floor but there is an area away from the mom/babies that is for surgeries. Those rooms are not right in the middle of the babies. I am feeling better about that and the fact that my mom is coming.

My dh was a little upset. He felt I didn't want to include him since I didn't want to do in Thanksgiving weekend. I just explained that I didn't want to be a basket case with being in the hospital on Thanksgiving Day. My doctor was also going out of town the day he did my surgery and I would have a doctor I didn't know checking up on me. I don't know if I got through to him but he doesn't seem as upset. He is trying to be really supportive and understanding when I have my moods. He is looking forward to no more aunt flo and hopefully a less moody wife.

I have read that with this type of surgery, you can expect to go through the steps of grieving like any loss. I would never have expected that until I did some research.

Good luck to all of you who are having your surgeries this week. This is a great support sight. I find that if I talk about my fears and worries, I can deal with them better.

lol,

Lori
Unread 10-18-2004, 10:14 AM
Why am I so attached to my uterus

I feel the same way. I have heard that when faced with losing any body part . It is normal to have feelings of loss.

I have been so atached to mine that when My Dotor told me I need a hysterectomy (two years ago) or I would bleed to death I refused to have it done and put it out of my mind.
Earlier this year I came down with a lung infestion and was realy weak. My family Dotor did a blood work-up on me and told me that my blood count was dangerlessly low 8 when 12 is normal.

So I went to a new GYN and she miss informed me about my test results and I went in for one of the newer processors because I didn't to loose my uterus. The machine didn't work. The next time I saw her she wanted to do two differnt new surgeries. I changed Dotors.

After talking to my new GYN, she showed me my test results, I agree to have a hysterectomy.

I was depressed about having to do this until I read post on this site and became pro-active in my hystererctomy surgery.
I have also changed the way I look at it.

I'm not loosing a body part. I'm going in for my extreame-hyster-make over! I'm looking at after the recovery to where I will beable to do things that I have not had the engery to do in a long time. And I would't have to schelde my life around my peiord!
I had to change my attitue on how I viewed it.
Good luck.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register