Constipation From Fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipation From Fibroids? Constipation From Fibroids?

Unread 05-22-2001, 01:24 PM
Constipation From Fibroids?

I have many fibroids and a 5 cm pedunculated fibroid that my DD believes warrants a TAH. I don't have the bleeding problems -- just the pressure, bloat and constipation. Is constipation a common problem with fibroids?
Also, what have y'all heard as far as fibroid shrinkage with menopause?
Dear Sisters, thanks for your replies!
Sincerely,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2001, 02:36 PM

It sounds like you might want to check out your options before deciding on a hyster.
I didn't have the bleeding many women describe, but for sure the digestive distress! Heartburn, gas, you name it. Most of my discomfort came with ovulation, not with periods, which I hear is common.
I told my dh before my annual exam that I sure hoped the dr. would find something so I could get some relief. I had multiple fibroids, with my uterus as large as 10 - 12 weeks. Within 6 weeks of their initial discovery, they were the size of oranges and I have no idea how many there were.
I have heard that fibroids can shrink with menopause, but that's something to ask your dr. They can be reduced in size through a medically induced menopause (GNRH agonists?), or you may find other solutions besides a hyst.
The main thing that I recommend is that if you have questions, ask your doctor. I ended up seeing 3 doctors, each with a different assessment of what they could do for me. It was worth every day I took from work and each 6hr drive roundtrip to the appointments to find my dd that did my surgery (day surgery, little pain, very respectful, gentle, etc.). She was great and I don't think anything could have gone better than my surgery and recouperation.
Don't be afraid to ask your questions and try what you think will be best for you. Ultimately you are the only one that has to live with your decision and it has to be the right one for you.
Good luck to you,
Unread 05-22-2001, 04:47 PM

Yes - fibroids can cause "elimination problems". My biggest fibroid was on the back of the uterus pressing against my rectum making it hard to pass the bm even when it wasn't very hard. I had this problems for a couple years but didn't realize it could be caused by my uterus so I never complained to my doctor. An ultrasound last October at age 48 detected the fibroids and a couple cysts on my left ovary. The enlarged uterus was also pushing on my bladder which caused the support ligaments to become too stretched out resulting in frequent trips to the bathroom and stress incontinence. I had another ultrasound a month later that determined they weren't getting any smaller and I opted for the surgery. I feel that the hysterectomy was the right decision for me and I'm glad that I had it done; but don't let yourself be pressured into it if you're not ready and there's no urgent medical need. My fibroids never caused heavy periods as my flow had been diminishing over the last couple years to where it really wasn't much more than just spotting.

Sometimes the walls of the vagina can become weakened and the rectum sort of bulges into it. This is called a "rectocele". You might want to ask your doctor if that could be causing your problem. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2001, 05:10 PM

Jeanne Z,

I am new to the fibroid/mass arena. Bleeding for 30 days (lightly and ugly looking) prompted an ultrasound and then a transvaginal ultrasound. The final diagnosis will be made after an MRI. There is a pedunculated mass, but they don't know where it is attached. I am 54 years old, was going through menopause, missed a few periods, and then this happened. I know that this mass didn't go away with menopause. I go for my MRI on Thursday, my dd recommends a hysterectomy, (if the pedicle is attached to the uterus). But if this is just a fibroid, I want to investigate an abdominal myectomy before taking everything out. I will feel more confident with the decision I make if I cover all options, and I plan on making this decision informed. The wonderful women on this site who have gone through this before me give me the courage to question dd's and investigate the options that are available and get different opinions. My advise to you is to investigate, question, and go with the procedure that you feel most comfortable having performed. Thinking of all of who are going through this,

Leona
Unread 05-22-2001, 05:52 PM

Jeanne Z,

Like you, my fibroids do not cause the bleeding problems that so many women describe but instead cause pressure, bloating, difficult bm's. Not the most pleasant of topics or experiences. I've had these symptoms for a few years, but didn't know I had fibroids until a year ago and even then did not realize that fibroids might be causing my intestinal problems.

About 2 months ago I suddenly had terrible "belly" pain and my doc sent me to the ER to get checked out. I have 2 fibroids that are 4 cm, a uterus that is 14 to 16 weeks. The pain may have been due to a pedunculated fibroid that twisted. It took about a month before all the pain finally went away. This was not fun ...

After doing a lot of research, I've decided to have a laparoscopic myomectomy, even though I'm considered a good candidate for a hyst (I'm 45). My surgery is scheduled for June 25th. I'm gambling that the fibroids won't grow back before I hit menopause. Then, estrogen is lower and fibroids don't seem to be an issue (I've read). I'm feeling better now, but my usual symptoms come and go as always. Sometimes if I sit down too quickly I have pains inside ... sort of bizarre and a reminder that I've got some extra parts in there. One fibroid sits on the back of my uterus and may be the culprit.

Bottom line: do your research and choose what is best for you. And don't let your friends try to talk you into or out of your decision. They mean well, but until they do the research and walk in your shoes for awhile, they can't make your decision. Sending good thoughts your way.

Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register