flight at nearly 5 weeks anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

flight at nearly 5 weeks anyone? flight at nearly 5 weeks anyone?

Unread 05-04-2005, 12:20 PM
flight at nearly 5 weeks anyone?

Hi all,
Have any of you gone on holiday at nearly 5 weeks post op?
My mum has asked me if i would like a week away to recuperate but only if im up to it obviously.
I feel fine, I get tired quite easily, but i could be tired on the beach sunning myself rather than be stuck indoors couldn't i. wouldnt be lifting anything like suitcases etc, I have been really good up to now, not overdoing it etc, but i have to admit the boredom has really set in, hence mum saying lets go somewhere.
Iv made an appointment with my general practitioner for tomorrow to see what she thinks. i hope she says yes! how were any of you if you did go?
cheers mikkimeme xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2005, 12:35 PM

Hi there

I am due a laparoscopic hysterectomy (and anterior repair) in July (awaiting exact date!) and had already booked my summer hols before I knew about surgery. I will be flying to Ireland from the UK and the nurse I saw said that a short flight like this should not be a problem and I will be 5 weeks then if they give me the provisional date we discussed. I really hope everything will be ok for me by then and as you say it will be great to help recuperation!!

Nice to see someone else from the UK, only joined up today and already feel at home and quite a few fellow Brits here too, but it is such a great site!!

Good luck whatever you decide and I will be following this thread to see what everyone thinks, knowing I will be in the same boat myself!!
Unread 05-04-2005, 12:40 PM

I went to a trade show with DH at 5 weeks post op. The show was about 2 1/2 hours away (by car). We got there and spent several hours walking around the show. We stayed overnight in a hotel, then back to the show the next morning for more walking. Other than swelly belly (that was so bad I had to ride home with my pants unzipped) and the walking tiring my out, I was fine.

But do check with your DR and make sure wherever you go you're somewhere near medical care, just in case.

S and best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-04-2005, 12:41 PM

I had an abdominal surgery w/ an incision across my belly. I went on a trip about 5 wks post op. The Dr approved it. I used a wheel chair through the airport and I was able to board the flight first. When we landed they had a wheelchair waiting and I was off first. I did get sick on the flight. I did get tired alot and could not do much walking, but other than that it was fine. I know that hysterectomy is much different, but my recovery time was about the same as they say it will be for my tah,bso. Discuss with your dr though, get some extra pain killers just in case. Then enjoy!!

Kathleen
Unread 05-04-2005, 12:52 PM

I am also concerned about my trip though I will be travelling @ 2 months post. It's a 16 hr flight. I bet I will have a swelly belly triple it's current size. But on the other hand, I am glad I am making this trip. I am sure it will help me in my recovery.

Those princesses taking trips... Have a good time! & those staying home, all the best & wishing u all the best of health!!!!!

Lunar!
Unread 05-04-2005, 01:51 PM

Hi ladies,
Thanks for your replys, i'm already looking at holiday clothes and at the thought of my swelly belly in my pre op bikinis, i wont care tho, im just glad to be on the mend !!!
I'll let you know how i get on at drs tomorrow, if she says yes mum n i will get a last min deal and prob just a couple of hours flight.
my partner says he'll help me pack and take us to the airport, i think he'll be glad to see the back of me for a while lol, he's been an absolute superstar during my recovery,i couldnt have wished for better care and support, im so lucky. talk soon love mikkimeme xx
Unread 05-04-2005, 03:28 PM

I flew at just 4 weeks - no problems at all from the flight. MD said to have pain pills handy just in case, but I didn't need them. It was about a 2 hour flight. A few days later I had a long car trip (800 miles over two days) and that was no problem either - I was the passenger, and we took plenty of potty stops.

Go enjoy some sun and beach time! You deserve it!
(I just came back from two weeks in London - awesome city - and my DD who was along said there were only three elevators in all of London and we weren't near any of them! LOL! So LOTS of stair climbing and no problems at all from those!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register