Surgery date bumped up. In a panic! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery date bumped up.  In a panic! Surgery date bumped up. In a panic!

Unread 12-13-2006, 06:15 AM
Surgery date bumped up. In a panic!

My TVH was scheduled for this Friday the 15th. The doctor's office called yesterday and needed to push it to the 14th. Sure, it is only one day, but one day is a lot to get things done. I am very afraid--not of the surgery, not of the initial pain, but of my recovery. I am trying to read stories of recovery after TVH and it's different for everyone. I have had 2 C-sections, I wonder if it is worse or the equivalent of length of recovery and discomfort. Somehow I think a hysterectomy is worse.

Anyway, I want to tell the owners of this site how wonderful it is, and how supportive the members are. It is truly fantastic, and I am thankful for it.

Good luck and good health to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2006, 06:32 AM

Hi,

I had a LAVH last Thursday. It will be a week tomorrow. The recovery hasn't been too bad at all. I had hardly any pain, and the pain I had was nothing compared to my periods. I'm not bed ridden. I went up and down stairs easily and have been able to putter around in between watching movies, reading and sleeping. I didn't have a c-section, so I can't compare, but with a vaginal hysterectomy, you won't have an incision, so I think it will be easier for you. Good luck to you.
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:34 AM

Thanks so much jahee. I am glad you are recovering well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2006, 07:29 AM

I never had a c-section, but I didn't think the pain was too bad. The castle will give you wonderful pain meds. Take them if you need them and definitely stay on top of the pain. If you wait until you are hurting too badly, it is harder to get under control. I was also up and around pretty fast.

As for getting things done, I had to just prioritize. You will never get everything done, so don't try. It will just make you crazy. Make sure that you have what you need for when you get home and let the rest go. Waiting is the worst part and now you have one less day to worry. Good luck to you and I wish you a speedy and uneventful recovery.

carrie
Unread 12-13-2006, 07:38 AM

Lor, I had a c-section and this is a breeze compared to that recovery. I have to say for myself the pain has been minimal and I liken it to doing way too many situps, but again that's just me and everyone is different. I am sure you will do fine. Just take it easy and don't over do because you really won't feel that bad. But you need to listen to your body. Good luck! and Best wishes.
Unread 12-13-2006, 12:28 PM

I was scheduled for December 7th but then my doctor moved it up to November 30th. I thought I had all this time but then there were just 3 days to prepare!! I let it go, resigning myself to the fact that the house would never be clean enough since everything I did get done was undone by my family (lots of little hands around). You can never be prepared enough.

I was also more concerned with the recovery than the surgery itself, but to be honest, in those first few days home, I didn't feel like getting things done. I just let me mom and husband do things their way. It's all fine. The kids are happy, clothed and fed, the dog is fed and being let out, and my house is a mess, but it'll all be there when I'm back to my normal self. I just look at it all, put it all in order in my head, then turn around and go back to reading my book. I love my family so much for stepping it up and maintaining things while I can't.

Be good to yourself and listen to your body when it calls for rest. Best wishes to you!!
Unread 12-13-2006, 01:05 PM

LorFla,
I went for my one week appointment today and feel great! My mom and dad came in town the day before my surgery, totally wasnt ready for that,I didnt get a lot of the last minute stuff done that i was saving for the last day.I decided time with them was more important and i knew that the house chores would still be there after this time of healing is over..My doc told me today that i could do light house keeping and shopping ,just listen to my body and use some common sense..It will be fine,just concentrate on getting well.
Unread 12-13-2006, 01:10 PM

DOn't sweat the small stuff. The pain was not bad. You don't feel like doing anything but lying around but that is OK. All the stuff you need to do will be there when you feel better. Now you will have one less day to anticipate and stress! That is a good thing. Good luck!!!
Unread 12-13-2006, 06:26 PM

Thanks so much for all of the kind, supportive replies. I am ready, and am hardly nervous. My husband helped a lot today with getting the house ready. Tomorrow is the big day--I have to be there at 5:30 a.m.! I am scheduled for surgery at 7:30, and hopefully it will be uneventful with a speedy recovery. Thanks again all. I do appreciate it!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register