return to physically demanding job | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

return to physically demanding job return to physically demanding job

Unread 01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
return to physically demanding job

I am a nurse, and my usual work week is three 12 hour shifts. I am 4 weeks post abd hyst, and wonder how soon I should expect to be back to work. My shifts are spent mostly on my feet, with a lot of lifting and pulling. Being a cardiac nurse, I know little about ob/gyn stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM

even though they normally say 6 weeks for a TAH- it will just depend on what your body says. For me, I cannot imagine that you would be able to return to full duty with they physical demands of your job. While I was back to work, my job is not physically demanding, and it was still exhausting. Talk to your doctor, and wait until your body says you are ready. Even then, I would think you would need to ease into it somehow, instead of just going straight back to a 12 hr shift.
Unread 01-08-2008, 02:26 PM

elle, you poor girl! I work in the medical profession too, though not a nurse. Be careful, don't let them dumpt too heavy of a patient load on you and sit down when you need to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-08-2008, 04:51 PM

I am an ER nurse and I was off work for 8 weeks. I went back on 4 hour shifts and gradually increased my hours back up to 12 hours over 6 weeks. I did not lift anything heavier than 35lbs and even now at 16 weeks post op I try really hard not to lift too much (not always possible I know). After my first few 12 hour shifts I was hurting a bit but nothing rest didn't cure!!!

Hope this helps.

Sandra.
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:22 AM

I am a Cardiac Nurse also.
I did not go back to work until about 9 weeks. I was instructed not to life anything over 25lbs for a while. Yeah right, like that was going to happen!
There is no such thing as light duty at my hospital, so i either had to go back to work or not get payed.
I am now 6 months post Abd hyst, appendectomy, bladder suppension. I am currently having lower abd pain, around the bladder site and up the left side. Hurts to sit, hurts to stand, hurts to pee.
Saw the doc yesterday, he ran some blood, and I have to f/u with a sonogram on firday, then back to the doc on tues for the results. This sucks. I have missed three days of work this week and will miss next tues as well.
Best thing I can say is if you don't feel like you can go back to work don't! And do as the DOC says no lifiting, ,means no lifting.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register