Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful

Unread 02-09-2012, 09:12 AM
Re: Uterine biopsy questions--had one today--complicated and painful

Thanks Kate! I thought it was just me! I addressed this with my doctor yesterday. I told her that I was disappointed that her office didn't advise me of ALL possible outcomes, and that they didn't suggest motrin and/or a sedative + something so soften my cervix. She said that the majority of people aren't affected, and that the cervix is so little that it really shouldn't "hurt". She also said that because my uterus is FILLED with fibroids, that's what she thinks made me hit the roof. I don't know...... I'm hoping she's more caring with my hysterectomy on Monday!! I'll probably choose another gyno if not! Ooh, and she said, "If you requested it to be done at the hospital we would have complied," Well, I had no idea I could request that, nor did I think it would hurt like a motha! LOL. I told her that I'd get the word out to EVERY woman I know not to get this done in an office!!!!!!!! Sorry you went thru the same pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Dear Bergdorf,
Good for you for addressing this with your doctor. I don't buy the "It shouldn't hurt." bit. When you think of what they're actually doing, (sharp object, blind entry into a small opening, big scrape) of course it's going to hurt. BTW, although I'm waiting for the path report, I already know I have no fibroids, so that is not what caused my pain. I also will spread the word that IMO, this is not a procedure to have done in the office with no accommodation for pain - and yes, the doctor absolutely should inform the patient of all possible outcomes. Good luck next week. Keep us posted.

KateinCT
Unread 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Kate,

Thanks, I will. And good luck to you too. The waiting just drives you crazy, doesn't it??????????? Hugs!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2012, 06:38 PM

I had it done in the office and my doctor did numb the cervix. It still hurt and was horrible, but was over REALLY quick. I just took a vicodin after and I was good to go. It was just like really bad cramps.
Unread 02-09-2012, 06:45 PM

Elotta--you were amongst the lucky ones!! That's exactly as it was described to me by my (new) gynecologist. I guess when there are complications (can't get past your cervix/you have fibroids, etc...), then it's 100 x more painful. Both scenarios should be FULLY explained to patients!
Unread 02-09-2012, 07:53 PM

Speaking of which...guess what I get to have tomorrow? Plus, going to discuss surgery... I would rather be at work!
Unread 02-09-2012, 10:08 PM

Hi,
I too am scheduled for a hysterectomy in Mar and went thru one uterine biopsy several years back, I truly thought I was going to pass out. To me it was much worse than childbirth and was surprised that my Dr would put me thru that without pain relief. I found out today I have to have another one next week. They told me to take 800 mgs of Mortin one hr before. I am not sure I am going to put myself thru this again. I don't know what to do but after the first one, not sure I will do a repeat.
Unread 02-10-2012, 08:41 AM

pnk: Good luck! Hope yours will be okay.

losingitall: At least they told you to take motrin! I would have taken xanex or something too (& had a driver). Better yet, I'd rather be knocked out for this procedure. Good luck with yours! If they could get thru your cervix and you're not full of fibroids, maybe it won't be TOO bad.
Unread 02-10-2012, 02:20 PM

I didn't have to have one! On the other hand, I got scheduled for robotic surgery on 3.6.12.

Good Luck to everyone.
Unread 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM

Omg...I'm so glad I didn't read this before having mine. I'm not going to lie, it hurt. But at least I wasn't expecting it to hurt.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register