6 weeks and not ready for work | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 weeks and not ready for work 6 weeks and not ready for work

Unread 05-18-2009, 12:38 PM
6 weeks and not ready for work

My TAH was on 4/6/09 and my 6 week appt is tomorrow. My early recovery was really great, but I seem to be having a hard time getting my energy up. I still sleep an awful lot, and when I get up to do the dishes or pick up a few (very light) things, I get some searing pain in my right lower belly. I was working part time as an oncology nurse at a clinic when I went in for surgery, and so far my manager has been very understanding. But I really don't feel ready to go back to work yet. I feel like I need to spend a couple of weeks doing some gradual exercises to build up my strength before trying even a half day on my feet.
I feel kind of like a "weenie" and am embarassed at my slow recovery. I will go see my manager tomorrow after my 6 week check up. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2009, 03:09 PM
Re: 6 weeks and not ready for work

I have been working from home since the week after my TAH, but it is computer work,nothing I have to be on my feet for. I am 4 weeks today and my boss is wanting me backat work but I am not ready for that yet I know...my 4 week appt is Wed, not sure what the doc will say...don't feel guilty for needing more time...I was under the impression that the vag hysters recovered faster than TAH, but not so sure about that anymore...Make sure your doc knows how your strength is, he will probably keep you out 2 more weeks and tell you to increase your activity daily...You are not alone....let us know how it goes with the doc and the boss....
Unread 05-18-2009, 03:22 PM

Thanks. I'll keep you posted. Sometimes it's hard for me to assert myself for what I feel I need. If the doc can say "needs two more weeks off work" maybe that will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-18-2009, 03:29 PM

I work in an office and I went back to work full time the day after my 6 week check up. OMG! What a never ending day! The first week and a half the days were so long. As soon as I would get home from work, I would take a nap then be in bed by 9:30. I didn't expect to be that tired. Thankfully its getting better now. I don't need the nap when I get home but I'm still in bed before 10 which is not my norm.
Unread 05-18-2009, 10:25 PM

tell your doc you need more time. It's OK to do that. You know how your recovery is going, and what you can do during the day. If work is too much take another week off and see how you feel. Good Luck!
Unread 05-19-2009, 12:18 PM

Thank you all for your support and input.
I saw my wonderful today. He said to gradually ease back in to things. He suggested going back to work for 1/2 days the first week or two. I mentioned that to my manager and she was very willing to accomodate me that way. It was so nice to get back to my work place and see all my workmates and patients who have missed me during my absence! I will work tomorrow from 10-2 and "take it from there," according to my manager.
I am hurting today -- it's a searing/burning/stinging pain in my right just-above-the-groin area. My said that there is a nerve that goes up through that area (on both sides) and when my incision tissues get inflamed it can put pressure on the nerve. That's what it feels like. I guess I just have to live with it, hoping it will diminish over time. My says that if the pain is still around in a couple of months, he can inject some lidocaine with steroids into the area to help with the pain. The pain eventually goes away after I rest for a while.
I think the over-all feeling I ended up getting when visiting my doctor is that perhaps I'm not as bad off as I think I am. I was dreading going back to work yesterday morning, but now I'm looking forward to trying it out tomorrow. I really do feel that my manager, while needing my help, will allow me to pace myself for the first few weeks. That's a big help.
Fortunately, I have only a husband at home and he does most of the cooking, so I have the circumstances to just come home and go to bed after work if I need to!
Hope you all are on the road to recovery. I'm sure looking forward to healing and being better than ever!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register