Hello! New here and very scared right now.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello! New here and very scared right now.... Hello! New here and very scared right now....

Unread 10-29-2001, 02:15 PM
Hello! New here and very scared right now....

I am so glad this board exists! I have been reading through some of it and I'm so impressed with how organized it is and how supportive everyone is! I've been going through the maze of internet support boards and this is by far the best one I've seen.

Here is my problem; I've had symptoms over the last several months that has led my doctor to believe I may need a hysterectomy. First of all I am at higher risk for cancer- Mother, Grandmother, and aunts have died from Breast and Colon cancer.

I've had bleeding after intercourse, low back pain, pelvic pain and pressure, pain in my groin and upper thigh, and a low grade fever for a few months. I've been on every kind of antibitotic, test negative for UTI's or infections, and am right now in some of the worst pain I've ever felt!! (and I've had 4 kids!!)

The next step is on Friday, a sonahysteogram. SOmething they should have done awhile ago but didn't thinking I had an infection of some kind. If that shows nothing he wants to do a laparoscopy. He thinks that should definitely tell us what the heck is going on. He mentioned hysterectomy only because I'm over 40, had my kids, and I am at higher risk for cancer.

Needless to say the anxiety is so incredibly high right now I feel like I'm going to explode. This doesn't make the pain any easier to handle either. He mentioned today that it may be endometriosis (which earlier he said it wasn't) Neither of us could say the C word but it was on both our minds...

Reading all your stories and good advice has helped some of the anxiety and I thank you for that. I hope to come here and add something positive to this site!

Any advice for how to deal with this pain would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2001, 03:06 PM

Hi Sue , welcome toHystersisters I am so glad that you found us. Yes !! it is the best hysterectomy site. Without it I would have gone mad

I cant help you with the pain management pre op as I didnt suffer from any pain but I can give you lots of support as the worrying time. It is so hard not to worry when you think cancer could be involved but hopefully when you have the sonohysteogram then you will find out exactly what is wrong and then you can go from there.

If you are worried or stressed about cancer there is a wonderful forum here called Cancer Concern Forum where most girls have had some scare with either precancer or cancer and we know all those added stresses that are associated with that. I would like to invite you to come have a look. We give great hugs
You take extra good care and please let us know how you get on . Also, never forget we are here always for you x x
Unread 10-30-2001, 12:26 PM
Hi Suemma

Hello sister ) just read your post. I had pelvic pain and pressure due to fibroids and many bouts with ovarian cysts, one which grew to 6 lbs. and had to be removed along with one ovary 9 years ago. 12 days ago I had a TAH with other ovary removed also. ABout 2 months before that I had a laparoscopy so doctor could view my current cyst and fibroids, ck. for endo. and just see what he was in for when we did the hysterectomy. The lap. was easy, everything came back negative, and so when I had the hyst. I wasn't worried so it put my mind at ease. I f you have any questions, please email me. Good luck and God bless, Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2001, 12:54 PM

Hi There

I am so glad you have a good doctor and are having everything checked out.

I would like to welcome you to Hystersisters! Did you know we also have a great Chat Room. You can asked questions, vent, or just discuss our pre- and post hyster situations.

Come visit us!

Go to the home page and click on chat. If you do not have AOL Instant you can download it there.

See you in Chat

Traci
Unread 10-30-2001, 04:36 PM

Sue,
I know how scared you are. I have a family history of breast cancer, too,-- Grandmother, 2 aunts, mother twice. One uncle died of lung cancer and another of a brain tumor. My dad went last year with rectal cancer and my only sibling had Hodgekin's Disease with lung sarcomas.
The fear is very real, but for someone pre-menopausal the odds are much better that you symptoms may be benign conditions. The sonogram will give you some indication of what is happening inside. But really the Dr's can only know for sure until they have a look-see and run that by a pathologist.
A lot of women here have endometriosis which is quite painful and can be very debilitating. Others have cysts and fibroids. Any of these conditions can manifest symptoms like yours.
I wouldn't worry about the big C but I would want my Dr to investigate every avenue to rule out the big C. And that looks like what he is doing, step by step.
Hang in there. WE are all here to help you through this.
Unread 10-31-2001, 05:42 AM

Hi Sue and welcome to hystersisters. What you're feeling is very normal. Think we all go through that. Please keep us posted.

Again, welcome aboard.
Unread 10-31-2001, 05:57 AM

Hi Sue,

I have a history of breast cancer in my family too, but I had no cancer in my uterus, just a big painful fibroid tumor. I had pains in my back, my right leg, my right side, which I doubt will recur now that my uterus is out. It was bumping into other organs in there and not giving them enough room.

While I was preparing emotionally for surgery one of the things I did was attend a yoga workshop. I helped me get in touch with my body, and finally admit that this bad part had to go for the rest of me to be healthy. Some of the yoga moves eased the pain, especially a simple one called "table posture" which is simply getting on the floor on your hands and knees. Fingers spread and facing forward, arms straight down from your shoulders, and your back flat like a table.

A yoga teacher would be able to suggest gentle postures to ease your specific pains.

Meanwhile don't hesitate to ask your doctor for medications to help you get through while they are figuring out what is wrong.

Best wishes to you,

viola

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register