Embarassing Question about hemorrhoids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Embarassing Question about hemorrhoids Embarassing Question about hemorrhoids

Unread 06-20-2006, 08:46 AM
Embarassing Question about hemorrhoids

I can't believe I'm posting this as the topic embarasses me.

What kind of doctor do you go to for hemorrhoids? I have them now post op and with the difficulties in the BM arena, the recovery saga continues.

Despite my loss of modesty with my gyn surgeries/exams/diagnostic tests, I can't imagine having it looked at.

I'm hoping they will go away once I'm normal again.

Has anyone had similar experience?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2006, 08:48 AM

I am interested in the responces to this topic as well. I had them before the surgery but they havent flared up so far. I have had two bms that were painful but no flareups so I guess thats great.
Unread 06-20-2006, 09:03 AM

Hi ,

Boy I can sure understand your shyness about having your hemorrhoids looked at. However, it is all in a days work for the Dr. My family doctor used an anoscope in his office. It was quick and he was only interested in seeing what was inside. Then when I had a colonoscopy this year, the Gastroenterologist looked at the area in more detail.

Unfortunately, embarrassment prevents way too many people from getting the medical attention that can make them better. It actually saddens Dr's who know how to help you but can't if you don't tell them.

If they are bothering you, IMHO, it would be good to have it looked at.

Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-20-2006, 09:56 AM

When I had them, it was after childbirth. My midwife looked at them then she called in a GYN doc-- but only because that particular GYN doc had trouble with her hemmies. After they both looked at them, they gave me the instruction on what I should do for treatment. They cleared up in about a week.

My mom had them really bad throughout her life and her internist was the one that did surgery on them to tie them off. I don't know if that is the regular person who would look at them or not. She was alive "back in the day" when your doc was your doc.
Unread 06-20-2006, 10:01 AM

I had developed Hemorrhoids while in Labor with my second son and had them for almost 8 years. When I had my last Papsmear (the one they found my severe Dysplasia) I asked my Gyn about it and he gave me a referral to a General Surgeon. He looked at it and we set an appointment to have them surgically removed. I had them done under Local anesthetic with Sedation (Same day surgery). It hurt like hell for a while and Stoolsoftner and Fiber where my friends for several weeks, but I am very happy I have them gone. They didn't hurt anymore (they did for the first few years) but keeping yourself clean was hard and I was feeling very uncomfy with DH in bed. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Talk to your GYN about it and ask for a referral to have them look at it. They will be ablt to assist you with any questions you might have and can lead you in the right direction and help you with a desicion to get them removed or treated otherwise.
Good luck
Unread 06-20-2006, 10:10 AM

I had trouble with them after having my second child. At the time the Dr. I had recommended surgery. I must say it was the worst experience I have ever had!! Much to my dismay I started having trouble again about 2 years ago. I told my new Dr. and he said that he wasn't surprised. Evidently surgery doesn't prevent them from comming back. He never recommends surgery. Instead he said to use the over the counter stuff all the time not just when they flare up. And to use the suppositories with the cream. I walked out of there thinking YEAH RIGHT!! But it worked. Just my experience. I hope they clear up for you soon.

Fallflower
Unread 06-20-2006, 10:21 AM

I had them bad - with a definite correlation to my period - for about a year or so. My doc then surmised that perhaps Bob, my 3 lb. fibroid tumor, was actually the cause! Since surgery (4 weeks yesterday) I haven't had any hemmorid problems! Hopefully, that's done and gone, too!
Unread 06-20-2006, 11:15 AM

I got a couple after the birth of my son 18 years ago. They never really bothered me, then I had this hysterectomy. Now they have flared up and started bleeding when I have a BM. I am currently using the over the counter cream too, but I'm scared and embarrassed to go to a Dr about them. Im hoping they will go away soon!
Dang, why don't men have all these problems? not fair!
Unread 06-20-2006, 05:01 PM

Thank you sisters!! It was just the kind of info I was looking for! Today has actually been pretty good, so I'll keep an eye on it and start with my family doctor if I need it.
Unread 06-20-2006, 06:32 PM

Mine flared up as soon as I got home from the castle and made that first BM even more painful. I got some Prep H wipes and use them every time I go to the toilet - seems to have helped. Good luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register