maybe i hormonal but i am ticked - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

maybe i hormonal but i am ticked maybe i hormonal but i am ticked

Unread 10-26-2012, 12:24 AM
maybe i hormonal but i am ticked

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2Bhealthy View Post
Yup! No big deal. as I posted before my boss/hr person expects me back in 2 weeks. I took a slip from the doctor that says 4 - 6 weeks. She said that is fine but after 2 weeks I will need to call and check , so that they can"accommodate" me. This was not said nicely and with every intention of telling me I would be back in 2 weeks. She is stuck on the 2 weeks because a co-worker was just fine after that. It would really sick for her if I was converted on the table

File for FMLA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2012, 04:08 AM
Re: maybe i hormonal but i am ticked

Quote:
Originally Posted by soon2Bhealthy View Post
Yup! No big deal. as I posted before my boss/hr person expects me back in 2 weeks. I took a slip from the doctor that says 4 - 6 weeks. She said that is fine but after 2 weeks I will need to call and check , so that they can"accommodate" me. This was not said nicely and with every intention of telling me I would be back in 2 weeks. She is stuck on the 2 weeks because a co-worker was just fine after that. It would really sick for her if I was converted on the table
I agree with Letmartelle - file for FLMA! I actually asked for 8 weeks off because 2 years ago I had a C-Section. When you add being plus size to surgery complications...you need MORE time to heal and I ended up being off for 8 weeks for that. Now for this surgery, my job said that it only should take 6 weeks to heal and they are expecting me back because they didnt approve time off beyond 6 weeks. I filed for FMLA and I will be off for 8 weeks (doctor's note) and I will have a job to return to as well! Once you file for FLMA. You are protected to take the time off that YOU need. It really burns me up that some people just compare you to the "typical" recovery. We are not all the same!
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:51 AM

Hello Ladies, My doctor told me that there were 100's of internal stitches and people can't see them so that' why they think it is no big deal. People shouldn't be commenting anyway, just shows ignorance. today is my 1 year divinci hysterectomy and I sometimes still feel sluggish but I feel great otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgm100 View Post
@ butterflybegins, I have to slightly disagree with your statement of mindset is BS. I don't think it is totally BS, I am a strong believer of mind over matter. I think a positive attitude helps in your recovery, but at the same time we have to be realistic as to the seriousness of having a hysterectomy. I think that many women including myself go in thinking this is going to be breeze, and then we are discouraged when it isn't a breeze. My advise to every woman going in to have a hysterectomy, is plan on 8 weeks, and if things are going well, and they are feeling good sooner, then they can be encouraged and feel good that they did so well.

To everybody else on this thread, I like to hope that the comments that say you are going to be back to normal so quickly, and the like...you all know the ones I am talking about....are sometimes people's way of trying to make us feel better about all that is happening to us, they don't know what to say, and are trying to boost us up. Notice I said sometimes, other times it is just people being insensitive.

I think the biggest problem is that society teaches us that we should not talk about or acknowlege "female problems" and people are just not educated enough to realize how serious they can be. Woman have suffered in silence for generations, and we shouldn't have to anymore.
To each his own...I can agree that a negative mindset will, indeed, hinder one's progress, but a positive outlook won't always make you heal any faster based on my personal experience... I have a positive attitude and went into this with a positive mindset and was determined to be back at it within 2 weeks as all the professionals around me suggested...and it was NOT possible no matter how great my mindset or intentions...and it has really taken its toll on me that I have not been able to jump back into life in 2 weeks as was expected! I am 4 weeks out and still not able to go back! Anyone who knows me knows that I am not the kind of person who stays down long for anything...this is different...no amount of meditation, self pep talking, or "effort" on my part is going to get me better any faster than my body will allow. Plain and simple. So, yes, it frustrates me that some people believe you can conjure up your healing with mind over matter. They try to make you feel like its YOUR fault you aren't back at work in 2 weeks because you were not "positive" enough...that is hogwash! And the frustration that has come from that kind of criticism hinders one's ability to keep a positive attitude, for sure!

However, I do agree with your advice to count on 8 weeks. Perhaps if I had gone into this with this more realistic point-of-view, I wouldn't be so frustrated. But I would like to point out that he reason so many of us aim for "2 weeks" is because that is what we are being told by medical professionals AND employers! My doctor had me believing I would be back RUNNING in 2 weeks! I was thrilled! So that is what I told my employer...now they want to know why I was so wrong about my recovery time! No amount of positive attitude would have had me back at work in 2 weeks.

*stepping off soapbox now*
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:07 PM

well i went to my mom's last night for pizza. great visit didn't do anything but sit on the couch or at the table. she made fun of the fact i took a nap just so i wouldn't be so tired when i went out there and told me i would be more than able to come to thanksgiving at her house. that since my surgery is nov 14 she doesn't see why i am tired now and says that just laying around after surgery will make me heal slower and i need to get up and go. first of all i am anemic to the point that i am currently trying to build up my iron just to make it to surgery. second going anywhere means i have to go down and up 15 steps ..... which i am sure will be very taxing post surgery, i know they were after my stomach surgery and hernia repair and i am betting this will be at least as painful and i had a higher energy level then. at least my hubby gets it ... he said i could visit last night but put a time limit on it and stuck to it ...i was was pale and almost passed out when we got home. originally it was me thinking 2-4 weeks and I'll be fine .... now well i am glad i don't have to go back to work till may. on a family note my hubby's family which is usually where we go for thanksgiving is a 2+ hour drive and they told me if i show up then i am in trouble, i have no business being in a car that long let alone visiting for hours. not to worry just rest and they'll see me at Christmas if i feel up to it otherwise there is plenty of time next year. its amazing the support you get from some people and lack of it from others.
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheitani View Post
well i went to my mom's last night for pizza. great visit didn't do anything but sit on the couch or at the table. she made fun of the fact i took a nap just so i wouldn't be so tired when i went out there and told me i would be more than able to come to thanksgiving at her house. that since my surgery is nov 14 she doesn't see why i am tired now and says that just laying around after surgery will make me heal slower and i need to get up and go. first of all i am anemic to the point that i am currently trying to build up my iron just to make it to surgery. second going anywhere means i have to go down and up 15 steps ..... which i am sure will be very taxing post surgery, i know they were after my stomach surgery and hernia repair and i am betting this will be at least as painful and i had a higher energy level then. at least my hubby gets it ... he said i could visit last night but put a time limit on it and stuck to it ...i was was pale and almost passed out when we got home. originally it was me thinking 2-4 weeks and I'll be fine .... now well i am glad i don't have to go back to work till may. on a family note my hubby's family which is usually where we go for thanksgiving is a 2+ hour drive and they told me if i show up then i am in trouble, i have no business being in a car that long let alone visiting for hours. not to worry just rest and they'll see me at Christmas if i feel up to it otherwise there is plenty of time next year. its amazing the support you get from some people and lack of it from others.

So glad you have your inlaws for support. My family all thinks it is no big deal. I think a hubby cooked meal for Thanksgiving would be just fine. Best of luck ladies.
Unread 10-26-2012, 04:23 PM

Oh, I certainly understand. My boss was surprised that I would need to take at least two weeks off. He just didn't understand why I would need that much time.... The owner of the company asked if I could take a cab back and forth to work.

A friend (jokingly) suggested that I have it done on my lunch hour to please the company.

Another friend suggested that my male boss should have his testicles removed, through slits in his abdomen, and see how long he wants to take to recover.
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:05 PM

My doctor was very clear about it: this is a big surgery, even if it's a small cut. It's very easy to overdo it afterward, even when everyone is supportive. Don't let anyone pressure you into living up to their idea of when you "should" be finished recuperating. Only your body knows what it needs and when. That's who to listen to.
Unread 10-26-2012, 08:23 PM

FLMA act is for companies of 50 employees or more....the company i work for only has 15 employees .....
Unread 10-27-2012, 10:57 AM

My drs were also VERY clear about what you must do after surgery to heal properly. As others have said, there is SO much that you CAN'T see- hundreds of stitches inside, ect. You only get one chance to heal right. The discharge form I received from the hospital was very clear-
NO heavy lifting (nothing over a newborn baby weight) and NO housework for 6 weeks (the NOs were even capitalized ) No intercourse for 6 weeks, no driving for 2 weeks, no hot baths or hot tubs for 2 weeks. I had to sign the form. The surgeon was also pretty graphic on the "what could happens" if I didn't follow the instructions. Yeah- I'll follow the instructions, NO problem! I actually appreciated having it writing too, then my partner could read it. His mother had a hysterectomy years ago and when his dad went to see her for the first time, she was sitting cross legged in bed reading a book. I think he got the idea it wasn't going to be a huge deal. I sent him to misterhystersisters which opened his eyes quite a bit and then when I didn't come home the next day as planned, he realised that it was a very different experience for every woman.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register