Another question (sorry) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Another question (sorry) Another question (sorry)

Unread 05-08-2007, 03:23 AM
Another question (sorry)

Is there a list of questions to ask at my pre-op at the hospital this morning? I used the handy list for my pre-op with my doc and it was a lifesaver but I was just wondering if there are specific things I should ask. Also, I'd like to go up to the floor I'll be on post-op, check out the rooms and smile and suck-up to the nurses. Is this ok?
And finally, what if my hospital orders contradict what my doc says? Do I call my "favourite man in the whole world" and say "Um, some things aren't jiving here" or just assume that his orders will override whatever the hospital will want to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 03:55 AM
Another question (sorry)

My hospital pre-op was over the phone so I am limited on what I can share.

What I did find was what my Dr had told me fell in jive with what happened once got there. There was someone a couple of weeks ago that wanted to see where they would be (the rooms). The hospital let them and they made the comment that the nurses acted a little odd about it. But I see nothing wrong with wanting to know where you will be. Some hospitals put you on a surgical floor and others the GYN/L&D floor. I was on a Labor and Delivery floor. The way I figured this out was a 2 year old toddling by with dad shortly after him at about 3 am (Try shorting that out in the middle of the night in a drug induced haze!)

I actually liked that I was on that floor. I only heard a newborn once (though a little heartbreaking there's just something about that sound that lets you know there is a God) and the nurses were just fantastic. And someone here pointed out the nurse ratio is higher on an L and D floor because they prepare for the possibility of a lot of delivery's at once and are staffed accordingly.

One thing you should think about, I don't remember the operating room, and I am glad for that. I don't know why but the thought of walking in there freaks me out. I know everyone is different but just maybe a room you don't want to see if they offer....

The other thing is see what the hospital has in the way of eatting areas, starbucks, store kind of thing and their locations. The 2nd day I was there, I wanted a tea and knew right where the Starbucks was to send my DH there. I guess it would also be nice to know where he could eat : P.

Best wishes on your visit and upcoming surgery and recovery, all will go well.

Julie
Unread 05-08-2007, 04:05 AM
Another question (sorry)

The OR doesn't bother me, heaven knows I've been in there enough already with this mess. I am REALLY hoping they don't make me walk down there again-why can't they just wheel me down there like the lazy person I am? They did it for my knee surgery and I could walk just fine!!!
I'm going to ask to see the floor I'll be on and the rooms and if the nursies look at me cross-eyed, well I'll just become invisible.
Excellent idea on the food availability. Will check into that as well. Since I've never stayed overnight there, that didn't even occur to me.
Tankies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-08-2007, 05:36 AM
Another question (sorry)

I did not "visit" the castle before my surgery, but having worked in hospitals and having had lots of experience as a pt and as a family member, I did not feel the need.
Call ahead if you plan to visit - they may be busy. Remember - when you are in their care, you would want their full attention - they are not there to be tour guides. Also - there may not be any empty rooms for you to check out and I know I would not have wanted strangers poking their heads in my room while I was recovering. The nursing staff is there for their current pts and often don't have time to pee themselves. ( I know - I have been on both sides) If one of their pts is having a crisis - that is where their focus needs to be.

As far as the castle staff and your doctor "jiving" - they follow HIS orders. He is the leader of your team. The only things that the hospital controls are things like visiting hours.

Our hospitals keep tea, coffee and soft drinks on the floor for pts. and also light snacks for between meals.

Relax - I understand your concerns, but you will be in good hands

Mary Beth
Unread 05-08-2007, 06:18 AM
Another question (sorry)

Mary Beth,
I have to "visit" the castle today since it's my pre-op day. I just thought I'd ask if I could go up on the floor I'm going to be on, but I see what you mean about not bothering the nurses. I'm going to want them taking care of me next week, not being a tour guide for another sister, lol.
Thanks for letting me know about his orders vs. what the hospital will do. I think what I am secretly fearing is since he told me NO bowel prep, I'll walk in that morning and they'll do something icky to me anyway.
Unread 05-08-2007, 06:28 AM
Another question (sorry)

If he told you no bowel prep - that is his orders and you won't have one - lucky you They can't do anything without his orders or approval.

You will do fine - trust those trained professionals, but remember to be your own advocate. If you have any questions about what they are doing or why - call your doctor. If you feel something needs his attention - call him....or have them contact him.

Good luck,

Mary Beth
Unread 05-08-2007, 09:52 AM
Another question (sorry)

mrs0323 -

I would ask about the anesthesia (type, risks, etc), pre-op meds. Make sure that you tell the doc EVERYTHING and be honest. You need to speak with your doc about your wishes, and ask that his orders be made clear to the hospital staff. It is unlikely that you will be permitted into the post op area. Maybe I am wrong. I would ask and see what you are told.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register