OTC meds? Update -- called on-call dr, you will NOT believe this! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

OTC meds?  Update -- called on-call dr, you will NOT believe this! OTC meds? Update -- called on-call dr, you will NOT believe this!

Unread 07-06-2008, 06:27 PM
OTC meds? Update -- called on-call dr, you will NOT believe this!

Weiser, but what if you have a doctor that feels you shouldn't NEED prescription pain meds from time to time?

When I ran out of my script post-op (40 percs) that was it. No more after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM

Have you told your doctor since you ran out of prescription pain meds that you are still in pain? Have you told him/her what you are taking now to try to relieve your pain? Have you asked for an exam to be sure you are healing correctly?

If you have unbearable pain that cannot be treated by using OTC medications as directed on the bottle and your surgeon will not help you, talk to your primary care physician and let him/her know what is going on. Other options would include visiting an urgent care facility or your nearest ER. You don't want to do your body more harm than good by taking too much OTC meds and/or mixing OTC meds. S
Unread 07-06-2008, 06:52 PM

(((Weiser))))

Thanks for your insight and help.

Taking that ibuprofen has definitely done a number on my stomach after taking the Aleve earlier.

I had to make one trip to the ER three weeks post op. The last thing I want is to look like a "doctor shopper" or "drug seeker" which is why when the pain gets bad I just deal with it the best I can.

I am definitely calling the on-call if I am still hurting like this (after work). Not sure what they do about it though? I haven't had to call the on-call since the surgery. When I went to the ER at three weeks I had so much pain my husband just drove my butt there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-06-2008, 07:07 PM

If you are still having this much pain 4 weeks out, they have to do something! When I was still having significant pain at 2 weeks I was sent in for lab work just to be sure. At 4 weeks I was having increasing pain and they insisted I get my butt to the office right away. Ended up having a UTI. Thing is, I wasn't having any problems urinating or anything, was just having pain. I was complaining of having pain where I thought my cervix should be if I still had it. The nurse says "You mean your cuff?" Duh, I'm a goof... Anyway, that is where your bladder sits... Possibly you have a UTI? Two days into my antibiotics I felt 110% better!

I agree with Weiser on not taking things as prescribed. I take 800mg ibuprofen because it was prescribed to me. And I talked to my doc about adding to the advil pm to get the dose up to 800mg. FOR ME, I'm told it is ok.

What are the dosing directions on aleve? I've never taken it, so I don't know... But, I'd be concerned if the ibuprofen is upsetting your stomach now.

I'm pulling for you!!! Let us know what the doctor says.
Unread 07-06-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigliss
Aware:
how many mg of ibuprofen are you taking and how often?
I am taking 800 mg. of ibuprofen every 6 hrs. Since it is over the counter I take 4 pills. It has been working for me. It is the same amount of mgs. they were giving me at the castle.
Unread 07-06-2008, 07:50 PM
You will NOT Believe this (called on-call)

I decided to call the on-call OB/GYN because of the vaginal pain I'm having.

I told him about the pain, what I took for it, and if I should worry at all. Asked him what it could be, etc.

He told me there was nothing that could be done at this point and to not bother going to the ER because they won't do anything about it either!

WTH????

He said to call the doctor tomorrow and that the phones open at 8am.

Solid.
Unread 07-06-2008, 08:03 PM

Such sweet bedside manner....NOT! I really do hate when they do the "blow off" speech.

You do need to call the dr's office....right at 8am then. Keep us posted. *HUGS*
Unread 07-06-2008, 08:05 PM

Thanks June.

I was STUNNED!!!!

I guess I interupted his wonderful holiday weekend!
Unread 07-06-2008, 08:10 PM

So sorry you were treated that way.

If at any point you feel that you cannot handle the pain you really should consider heading to the ER.

Hope you are feeling better soon.
Unread 07-06-2008, 08:11 PM

I'm so sorry that he was so dismissive of your pain! Do you feel like it is worth a trip to the ER? What happened the last time you went? Was anything resoved? If you feel a trip to the ER is justified, you should go. No matter what this guy says.

I hope for tonight you are able to find some relief. Let us know how things turn out! If you go in tomorrow (or call) and they still dismiss you, I'd be thinking a new doc would be in order. I understand not wanting to prescribe pain meds over the phone, or giving out too many (my OB that delivered both of my children lost his license because he was sued by a patient who got addicted to pain meds) but I don't think that they should outright dismiss your complaints of pain... It just seems so, mean...

Good luck! Feel better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register