Not Scheduled Newbie riding the roller coaster | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie riding the roller coaster Newbie riding the roller coaster

Unread 07-19-2009, 09:37 PM
Newbie riding the roller coaster

Met with surgeon last week and they are scheduling I think a LAVH for the beginning of August. I have always had problems with my periods since high school and have been on the pill since then to help. Cycles were always short, periods long, and severe cramps to boot. As I have gotten older the pain has only increased along with the heavy bleeding and clots. It seems like I've tried every pill under the sun....shots, nuva ring, and they were going to do an IUD but couldn't put it in. I'm 38 and relieved that there is a light at the end of the tunnel but now I'm going through all these emotions and just feel like I can't talk to anyone, not even my hubby right now. Right now I'm scared of the surgery itself, complications, being alone, and not knowing how my husband is going to react emotionally towards me. So many questions keep going through my head as well. Like how long does the bleeding last after, will I need the tummy support band too? Since it's laprascopic, should I bring granny panties to the hospital? I know everything is going to be so much better after the surgery, just don't how I'm going to make it there. Thanks for letting me vent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2009, 08:29 AM
Re: Newbie riding the roller coaster

Hi,
Beings that I'm new here too, I can't give you much advice, but from what I've read, it seems the Swelly Belly is for those of us who need abdominal surgery and since your's is laprascopic (which is what I'm hoping for) you won't need it. I too had the question about bleeding afterwards as I assumed I would need some maxi pads on hand at home, but some of the gals here said they didn't bleed afterwards, which was nice to hear. I understand where you're coming from regarding your husband. He's already counting the days until I can resume wifely duties, lol (not how he put it). I keep telling him, he just better be on his best behavior with helping around the house and with the kids as everyone keeps telling me that I'm going to need a lot of rest after surgery. Best of luck to you.

Lumpygus
Unread 07-20-2009, 08:44 AM

I'm new here too. Scheduled on 8/27. I have had horrible periods with the pain, heavy bleeding and clots too. As I haven't had the surgery yet, I can't help answer your questions. But I wanted to say hi, and let you know that I'm thinking about you. Talk with your husband. I know that it's hard. But he is the one that is going to be there with you once your recovering. Write him a letter if you can't speak your feelings. You don't even need to give it to him right away. I know that when I write things out, I tend to feel better. It's the act of actually getting my feelings out that helps.

Lots of hugs! You can do it!
Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2009, 08:49 AM

One day at a time....

If that doesn't work, one hour at a time.

If that doesn't work, ten minutes at a time, even if you have to set a timer. Trust me, after 30 straight minutes of bawling, you start feeling a little silly, and then can move on to something else for 10 minutes, even if you have to cut it short to get back to another round of 30 minutes of bawling.

Hang in there!
Signed, your roller coaster partner (two rows back)
Unread 07-20-2009, 09:18 AM

Hi blackrvn5, and

Preparing for a hysterectomy is definitely a . You may find the answers to some of your questions on our Pre-op Resources page.

I had a vaginal hysterectomy, so my experiences were a bit different than yours will be. I will say, though, that the only underwear I took to the hospital was what I planned to wear home. While I was there, I wore this ugly hospital underwear that they provided. I didn't care much how it looked, and it was easier for my nurses to move around when they were checking my initial healing.

I'm glad you found us here

Unread 07-20-2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks girls! Talked to the drs office today and they have me scheduled for August 7th in the afternoon. My mom is hopefully flying up on Sunday night to help out once my husband goes back to work and my kids will be on vacation with their dad so no one to take care of other than me. Feeling ok this morning, I'm the worse at night. Gonna try and talk to my DH tonight about what I've been feeling. Hopefully it will put some things in perspective for him too.
Unread 07-20-2009, 11:52 AM

I'm glad that you were able to get everything scheduled. Sounds like you will have some good support and help while you recover. Good Luck talking to DH.
Unread 07-20-2009, 06:49 PM

Hi Blackrvn5,
I'm new as well, but I am feeling the SAME way. I'm having LAVH/BSO on Aug. 3rd.

I feel like I have been living in my own little bubble the last few days and no one can understand... my husband is the sweetest man ever.. but the key word there is MAN. He wants to help as much as he can, but I think this is just something I have to work through.

I remember one of the things my doctors said to me " it's not like an amputation, like losing an arm. Your body doesn't even know it's gone" Now, don't get me wrong, my doctor is great! And even though my body won't know it's gone my brain will... Just so much for my little wee brain to proccess.

I'm thinking of you, try to feel better :-)
Unread 07-21-2009, 05:39 PM

Wendy- Guess we're only a few days apart. I'll be rooting for you!

Had my talk with DH last night. Things have been quite tense the last few days and one of the issues seems to be he doesn't want me having the surgery. Doesn't understand why I want major surgery if I'm not dying. I've tried to explain the best I can but when it comes down to it, he's a man and can never comprehend what I go through every month. He really is a wonderful caring husband and truly afraid of something happening to me. We'll see how he feels in a few months when I'm not out of commission for 2-3 weeks every month. I'm sure he will be grateful for the surgery then. I know I will!
Unread 07-21-2009, 10:07 PM

Hi, blackrvn5 and newbie sisters.

I'm a four-week veteran of LAVH, and I'm just dropping in to send you a little encouragement. I was absolutely TERRIFIED about the same exact things you mention, no matter what my family and friends did to reassure me. Now, here's the good news:

I am SO glad I had the surgery, and you will be, too! After having heavy periods that lasted months at a time (with some weeks where I was soaking through a SuperPlus tampon and overnight pad every 20 minutes!), and being so anemic I couldn't climb a flight of stairs without gasping for air . . . being uterus free is an incredible blessing.

Even with all the discomfort of recovery (most of which cleared up by the second week), I STILL felt better in those first post-op weeks than I did when I was suffering from debilitating periods.

I know it's hard, but try to focus on what life will be like after the surgery; visualize it, and you will get there!

Best of luck to all of you--you'll be in my thoughts!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register