Why can't we drive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why can't we drive? Why can't we drive?

Unread 09-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Why can't we drive?

I mean, what are the technical reasons?

I'm just about 5 weeks post op, have been told 'no' to driving till pain is gone, which it hasn't. (think it's increased a little due to stitches dissolving?)

But, I am trying to assess the risks.

Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2013, 06:52 PM
Re: Why can't we drive?

I think its more of a reaction thing. you have to be able to move quickly if necessary. I fortunetly was allowed to drive at 1 week if I felt up to it and wasn't on prescription pain meds - which I never had to take. I waited until the end of week 2 ,didn't really have a need to drive and I've seen how others drive in my city and it isn't pretty. Never had a problem
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:18 PM

I was told after two weeks and see how I went.

I did first drive today, literally two kilometres there and back. Instantly knew that while there was no definitive pain, there was a definitive ache there. I won't be driving long distances for a while (says the woman who has a sixty kilometre round trip to work!!)

Listen to your body, if you do it and it hurts....stop!

It seriously is that easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-16-2013, 07:36 PM

I think it is insurance. I was told 2 weeks by doctors but 3 weeks by our insurance company. They basically said if I was in an accident and found out I had major surgery we wouldn't be covered. So I waited 3 weeks. I also to this day do boy drive further than needed as I still have lots of pain.
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:51 PM

It is for your safety. You have to be able to slam on the brakes without hurting yourself. You have to be able to turn in your seat without pain/pulling to be able to see behind/around you. Also you are still healing internally and if you hit someone or someone hit you the seatbelt would pull tight or the airbag could go off and cause you additional pain/bleeding/etc. 5 weeks does seem a little excessive to me 0, but I also don't know the full extent of your surgery/repairs. I was released at my 9 day post-op appt
Unread 09-16-2013, 07:54 PM

I had prolapse repairs and a hysterectomy. Don't see my doc till next week but I rang last week to check as I was sure I'd been told about the pain thing, and she said to hold out still. Mine was done vaginally, so I don't have any incisions, but apparently I do have a lot of internal stitches!
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:05 PM

It is also for the safety of other road users, if your reactions are slowed because of pain, painkillers, or latent anaesthetic effects not only would your insurance be void but you would be liable for damages to the other party.

Unless you are sure you can slam on the brakes if a small child runs out in front of your car, then don't drive. It's not worth the heartache of "if only" later.
Unread 09-16-2013, 08:19 PM

I went back to work at 4 weeks post op. I drive school bus for an hour in the am and an hour in the pm. I can feel every bump in the road. Twinges here and there. By the end of the day I feel a little sore from driving and making so many stops. My doc gave me the ok to drive the bus, so I hope I'm not hurting my recovery. I also had a hernia repair in May, so I'm concerned about having a recurrance.
Unread 09-16-2013, 09:57 PM

Well I drove my son to his appt. It was only down the road so I made the call to try it. I can see why they say not to if you still have pain. I wouldn't have liked to have to step on the brake too hard and suddenly.

I won't make a habit of it until the pain has gone I think.
Unread 09-16-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I wouldn't have liked to have to step on the brake too hard and suddenly.
You have acknowledged that you wouldn't like to have to "emergency brake" while driving. To me, that would suggest don't drive yet.

I'm two weeks post, drove 2k this morning and knew I had done my limit!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register